Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I been eyeing a standard WRX for a long time now and I am financially ready to afford a Limited WRX. My question to all of you subbie lovers out there is, would you disagree with my decision to buy a WRX with not much manual experience and learn on the car or is it wiser to learn on a different car before i jump into an WRX?

·
Super Moderator
11,460 Posts
You do you. Plenty people start off learning on a wrx

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
my WRX was my first MT car. however i had been driving MT trucks for work a while before that for work. it can be done.. might want to get a little practice before you sign on the dotted line and drive it off the lot.. maybe have an experienced MT driver go with you to pick it up for backup.

derailing.. clubdub doing @ mentions now? @RichD514?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
If you really want the Subaru you ought to test drive one and if you're still keen on it just get it. They're decent cars and you'll probably like it long-term.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks! I have watched a few videos on the concept of driving manual and read about it. I Drove for the first time yesterday and was able to go in reverse, stopped, then go on 1st and pull off without any issues. I did stall about 2-3 times because everything I learned got kinda fuzzy once I started driving and the sweat started going from my nerves. To my defense though, the times I stalled were due to un flat surface as the car started rolling back/forward I panic'd and pressed the gas harder and released the clutch early.

My intentions were to honestly just go buy the car and learn on the spot. I'm not sure how much wear would go on the clutch from learning stop and go just ridding on the clutch on 1st w/o giving it gas. In the tutorials I found that is the way they recommend you learn, do that about 30 times then once you get comfortable with the bite and release point learn to give it gas after. I had difficulty learning how hard to push in the clutch since my friend who's car I used to practice told me it was a light clutch but that it was also kinda worned so it threw my timing off a bit. Besides that I didn't feel comfortable moving the gears around, I thought it would be a lot softer but now it makes sense when I watch videos and dudes look like the push the **** out of it lol. I went to Subaru today and got to feel the clutch and shifting on a idle WRX and it felt about the same as i used in my friends car. Next time I will spend more time pushing the gears around before actual driving.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I find it helps to stay calm & not rush. Many don't like rev hang but it gives a new manual driver plenty of time to shift. Watch the wrx though, it likes to "take off" on you in 1st. Overall these days manuals are much easier than when I learned.

I say if you want one go for it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dont limit yourself by others opinions. IF you want a manual by a manual and learn.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Get a manual while you still can!! The new WRX has hill hold assist also so that will help out tremendously with incline starts. PM me for a price if you decide to get one.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
I never owned a M/T vehicle before I bought my Subaru. I had driven M/T before (Dodge Neon, Ford Explorer, golf course equipment), so I was familiar with the concept. It took about a week before I was stall-free. The toughest part about driving a stick is getting started from a stop (once you get going, it's pretty simple).

The wear/tear on the clutch from learning shouldn't be something to worry about, assuming you don't make stupid mistakes like clutch dumps and riding it. Find an empty parking lot and practice getting the car moving without touching the gas by slowly releasing the clutch pedal (this will teach you the catch point).

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
You'll be fine. Slow and easy, and don't try to show off for anyone, on the way home. The truth is that you won't truly get the feel for it, until you drive a manual on a regular basis, so jump in!
Good luck! :wiggles:

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts