ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well before I made a deal at the Ford dealer I went around and drove a few of the new sports cars and here is what I think.

350Z-My favorite of the 3. A great little car, very nice power from any gear. 287 hp and 0-60 in 5.3 is very respectable for a V6 and I would not mind having one of these to play with.

G35-Very nice car, lots of luxury features too. Not as quick as the 350Z but still pretty quick. I would get this if I wanted a perfect blend of power and luxury.

RX8- :confused1 "Zoom zoom?" Not with this thing. 238 hp 4 banger but a rotary motor, big deal. The thing is SLOW. Felt like there was turbo lag when I hit the gas in 1st gear but I guess this is just typical of 4 bangers, no instant power like a V8 or even a V6. To put into perspective how slow and not worth the $30K this car costs, I got next to a modded Civic that kept up with me until 3rd gear :confused1 and i think the only reason I pulled on him was because we were at 60 in a 45 and he didnt want to keep going. I ended up passing him and letting up around 75. 0-60 is listed at 6.4 which sounds a bit low to me, this car sucks if you like speed.

·
Registered
882 Posts
That's seems strange. I know the RX8 is no speed demon, but that car won an award in Japan for best new engine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, it was a 6 speed and maybe if I would have launched it at around 6K RPM it would have been a bit better. The thing was still pretty weak, maybe because it was the slowest car and after the 350Z and G35 it was just too much of a letdown. Seriously though, 0-60 is listed at 6.4 and the quarter in the low 14's, for a supposed "sports car" :confused1 weak.

·
Registered
907 Posts
the RX-8 Strong Point Is NOT the 1/4 nor is it acceleration! Where the RX-8 is fun and Rewarding is on Twisty Roads, and at Higher speeds. The RX-8 Has a Very High Redline, and a Power Band that is much higher than Normal Piston powered cars.

the Rx-7s were not anywhere near as bad regarding the power band as the RX-8 is. the main reason for the Rx-8's problems is the BS they did to the engine to make it Ca Emisions passable.

they are Bringing back the RX-7 and it will be more the performance car that you were hoping the RX-8 would have been...i beleive its going to be cheaper too!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pease do us all a favor and do some research before you start knocking the RX 8. It is a rotary engin, like others have mentioned, and as lond as you keep the rpms up its a damn fun car to drive. No it does not have the torque that a V 8 does, but it is not supposed to. The rev limiter is set high, use it.

They are all great cars in my opinion, and I have diven them all.

~m

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
RX-8 is a sweet car, but I agree that it doesn't have much torque. It would be nice with more torque, but the car is ALL about the complete sports car experience - light weight and extremely capable handling. It's a blast to drive, IMO. I think it's more of a true sports car than the Z, even.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I test drove an RX8 about 3 weeks ago and the damn car had trouble getting out of it's own way!! Felt very slow! But the 50/50 weight balance really shined through when I threw it into a few curvy sections! The car has incredible balance and is super nimble! This would definitely be a nice track car! The way it handled was very reminiscent of a porsche 944 (only the 944 was more torquey)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Mazda shot themselves in the A$$ with this car. They had to downgrade the power ratings because dyno's were pretty low for most cars. Handling is great but this car needs a turbo. rx-7 turbos are the $hi+. Hello Mazda... anyone there???

·
Registered
889 Posts
The fact that the RX-8 is rotary is not the point here. The fact is that the RX-8 just isn't as quick as the G35 or the 350Z. The mags might have the the RX-8 running low 14's in the 1/4 mile but all the ones ive seen at the track have run low 15's and yes they were all manuals. The point the guy is trying to make is that its just not a quick car.

Oh and the 350Z's 0-60 is about 5.5 secs. Stock for stock the wrx and 350Z are about even at the 1/4 mile. It all depends on the drivers.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
RX8 - VERY nice looking car... handles like a dream (so i hear) but lacks in the power department... but so does every *new* mazda

350Z - nice looking car, nice handling, nice power, great engine.
all around just a nice car for the money

G35c - one of the sexiest looking cars on the road. great engine, nice power, nice handling, great interior....
one of the best sport/luxury cars on the road for the money IMO. the only thing that i would consider on lines with it would be a new TL or 330ci.
when the new TL comes with rwd or awd, that will be my next car :)
or g35c

and yes, the 350z has proved itself several times to put up mid to high 5sec 0-60 times

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts