ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine picked up an 08 a week or two ago after acting on my advice and test driving all of the competition and comparing costs. I dropped by his house on the way home and he tossed me the keys said "Take her out."

So I pulled her out of the driveway and BLAMMMMM!!!!!

Not really. :rotfl:

His car is an 08 WRX Hatch 5MT, in Pearl White, tinted windows and so on. I actually really liked the way they look in white, much nicer in person.

Driving impressions:

The seats are about the same as the previous generation comfort wise but what really caught my attention was the pretty colored sweeping gauges. I couldn't help but say "wow," kinda felt sucked in like a moth to a flame. Guess I'm a sucker for flashy multi colored gauge clusters. I did notice that the center console is higher up and the shifter height is much more comfortable reminiscent of old Eclipses or a Vette. The shifter was a little huge and cumbersome, kinda felt like I was shifting a softball, meh. Interior is much much quieter inside than mine even at speeds around 80mph.

Transmission shifted great, an improvement over how mine came from the factory, but about on par with how it shifts now.

Power delivery is much smoother stock for stock with the old gen with quicker spool and what seems like more torque on tap. I can honestly say his 08 is way healthier than my 06 was out of the box.

Handling was a tad soft but, livable and nothing a set of sways couldn't fix.

I found my self searching for something to not like, but shy of changing the grille and shift knob its a nice car. Makes me want an 08 STI even more now. :wiggles:

N

·
0 Posts
man i miss my 6 sp tranny on my 03 Z! do even the regular wrx's come with 6 spds?

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Waaay less road noise?

Man...that's a temptation. The biggest gripe I have about the two '02's I've owned is the noise.

·
48,699 Posts
man i miss my 6 sp tranny on my 03 Z! do even the regular wrx's come with 6 spds?
Nope. You have to move up to the STI to get the 6-spd, at least as far as USDM models go.

N

·
0 Posts
Waaay less road noise?

Man...that's a temptation. The biggest gripe I have about the two '02's I've owned is the noise.
The only thing that bothers me about the road noise on my 06 rex is the hood scoop, it kinda starts to whistle around 50-60 MPH, i was thinking would the smaller carbon fiber ones make less noise? that whistle rattle from the hood scoop is annoying i have to blast my mp3s to mask it!
Are seibon the only decent CF hood scoops?? and are they firmer than the stock hood scoop??!

*now compared to my 03 nissan 350z the wrx was as quiet as a lex(NOT REALLY), because i think the 03 z's had cabre problems that made the tires make a strange tread wear sound, low pitch hum, the front suspension on that 350z is CRAZY

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Waaay less road noise?

Yeah Ray I was pretty surprised given I pulled up to his house in my 06 and had just been driving 15 miles. Way less noise, and I even took it up to around 80-85 mph or so with him in the car. At 80-85mph my car almost sounds like it has an air hose turned on and strapped to the window/floorboard/doorpanels.

Turnabout being fair play, I threw him my keys, and he was instantly surprised at how much more power stage 2 protune had. "Can I get that out of my car??!!!!" was his first question. :rotfl::rotfl: I said yeah, and more.

I'm expecting a call on best performance mods any day now lol.

·
48,699 Posts
Some interesting food for thought. Better shifting, less noise, nice interior...a couple of well-placed mods puts it into near-STI territory, power-wise.

Guess I'll sit around and look like this for a while ==> :confused:

:rotfl:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some interesting food for thought. Better shifting, less noise, nice interior...a couple of well-placed mods puts it into near-STI territory, power-wise.

Guess I'll sit around and look like this for a while ==> :confused:

:rotfl:
even the sti's are impressive.. the interior feels.. different,.. better Id get an 08sti if i had the $$ hands down.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts