Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what ive read and heard a lot is that the most efficient way in launching our cars is to drop it at 4. i tried numerous times dropping at 4 and the car bogs soo bad. slipping the clutch worked best for me. what do you think?

and what rpm should i slip it at? 4?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I agree with you Mario, I attain the best 60' and total 1/4 mile times by slipping the clutch out at 4500rpms. Dropping the clutch always results in bog instead of wheelspin.

-Jim

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
black99gt,

No, it will still bog. My track technique includes running 39psi in all four tires. This way if I drop the clutch too high in the power band, it'll break the tires loose instead of breaking first gear!

-Jim

·
Registered
228 Posts
ok plat.. your BEST guess on launches... what is THE BEST TRACK LAUNCH... God could help to i suppose.

Slip it or Dump it at the track? and what RPM to do so. Ill figure it out for the street racing myself hehe.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
black99gt,

This is a tricky question, but I'll tell you how I achieved my best runs. Firstly, you have to have atleast a manual boost controller, K&N panel filter, and silencer removal. Next, put 39psi in all four tires. Try to do a burn out at 4500rpm when you approach the line using the same technique that I'll break down below, if it doesn't work, try 5000rpm.

1) Prestage
2) Stage
3) Press the clutch all the way down with your left foot and put your right foot on the gas pedal
4) Rev the motor between 4500 and 5000 rpm by slowly pulsing the gas pedal
5) When it's time to "leave the line," bring the clutch up to just above the biting point while you floor it.
6) Drop the clutch the rest of the way, hold on, and prepare for second gear to come up in a hurry.

Steps five and six occur within a fraction of a second of each other. This technique requires a lot of practice and guts to get right. You'll smell your clutch burning every time, but this should net you sub-two-second 60' times.

-Jim

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how bad is it to burn your clutch? in otherwords how much do u have to mess up for it to smell? i hate that stank. it happened today going up a hill cuz a car tried to back out their driveway w/o seeing me

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
mario said:
how bad is it to burn your clutch? in otherwords how much do u have to mess up for it to smell?
Yea, that's something I've wondered for quite some time now. How much abuse can a clutch take before finally dieing? I realize that it depends on the abuse, but for the sake of argument, let's say you did series of 1/4's at the track every other weekend....

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
you can slip the clutch without burning it to the point of significant wear. a steady, fast slip will cause negligable wear, and still give you the proper steady climb on the launch.

i disagree, i don't think you need to burn it, and certainly not be able to smell it. that should only happen when the clutch is brand new.

the thing is, i can't spin my tires like you can with the stock tires. since i got the z rated bridgestones i am glued to the road, even with a 5500 rpm launch. the nose actually lifts a lot right up until 2nd gear when you plane off. it's like a goddamn off shore racing boat and it'll stick you to the seat really hard!

dR

·
Registered
228 Posts
i have a BAD feeling that im going to go through a clutch by learning how to launch this puppy good. Oh well!! As long as it ISNT the tranny!

Hey...
and when the clucth gradualy goes... can you see your times reduce?? Or is it like a BRAKE.... The peddle gets different until WHAM the things sqeek cause there aint nuttin left!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts