ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so I'm kinda new to subaru's, at least modifying them anyway, and my friend and I have this idea to put a turbo charged 2007 WRX engine into his current 2007 impreza. Now we don't have a budget yet, we're playing with this idea to see if it's even worth doing, because his car already has a number of cosmetic and a few performance modifications and the next thing he wants to do is make it into a sleeper or at least sleeperish. His impreza is a 5 speed manual, and I've looked up the gear ratios for the same year in 5 speed non turbo and 5 speed turbo and their not THAT different but I digress. Anyway the whole point of why I'm here asking this is question is: what goes into doing a swap like this. What needs to be done to the entire car for this to work and NOT be a complete waste. Any and all help is much welcome and very appreciated! :)

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
This isnt a plug and play honda swap, your better off selling the 2.5i and buying a wrx. Brakes, suspension, trans, rear diff, wiring harnesses, ecu, tune, exhaust, hood

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,446 Posts
Agreed, not even worth considering. The car you want exists, Subaru produced it. Sell what you don't want and buy what you do want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that answers my question. But for the record, if one were to do something like this for god knows what reason, I'm guessing the cost would be more than just buying a decent used wrx or STi?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
You could easily buy a used bugeye and keep the 2.5i if thats what your asking.

·
29,446 Posts
Well that answers my question. But for the record, if one were to do something like this for god knows what reason, I'm guessing the cost would be more than just buying a decent used wrx or STi?
It depends on whether you can find the perfect wreck for a donor car and whether your time can be written off entirely I suppose.

You'd need the motor and ECU. You could (I think) carry over the flywheel and keep your existing gearbox. You'd need the exhaust and the scooped hood. At the end of all that, you'd have a car worth less than your donor car, your recipient car, or the car you are trying to recreate -- and the car you are trying to recreate is readily available for sale.

At this point the one Subaru swap that makes some sense is putting a manual gearbox into an SVX, because it's a neat car that's becoming rarer but not more valuable, so it's expendable yet cool, and the auto box fitted by Subaru was criminal. Other than that... just buy the Subaru you want as Subaru made it and keep it that way.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I think it is more involved than that, I dont think the 2.5i rear diff is the same, I guess if you wanted an even weaker trans you could keep the oem 5 speed and rear diff, however the 5 speed is already pretty weak.. The WRX has larger sway bars, aluminum lower control arms, better struts/spring ratios, 4 pot, 2 pot brakes.. I dont think you can find all of these parts salvageable even finding a donor car..

Im also pretty positive the wiring is different between the two cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the whole idea seemed like a big old waste of both time and money. Well that about sums up my genius ideas. Thanks for the help! :)

·
29,446 Posts
The wiring always makes me cringe, I would pay to have that done. If you keep the existing gearbox the drivetrain can stay too, though you are right, it will not be ideal at all. The chassis stuff is tons of money too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts