Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bad is it to drive your car without your heat shield installed? I ask because my new DP doesn't have the same brackets for the heat shield that the stock one had.

·
Registered
292 Posts
hmmm so I had this same problem

I did a search for heatsheild and read about 20 posts on the exactly same subject you did. *hint* search!

but in a nutshell, you can trim your OEM heatshield to make it fit on your downpipe.

The people who did trim and reinstall their heatshields said you have to do it to prevent heat going onto intercooler

the people who did not reinstlal the heatsheild said it doesn't matter.

:D

I'm gonna put my back on soon.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem isn't size, its that my new DP doesn't have the brackets to hold the shield. I have nowhere to bolt the shield!

·
Registered
292 Posts
hmmm my heat sheild bolts onto this bracket that attaches to the bolts that hold the downpipe on. You can just use the three screws on this bracket and not worry about putting the other screws that used to attach to the old downpipe on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The brackets to hold my heat shield were WELDED to my old DP..... they aren't removable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
are you sure? I got a 04 WRX too and the bracket attaches on the turbo/downpipe bolts just like every other WRX.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kit99bar said:
are you sure? I got a 04 WRX too and the bracket attaches on the turbo/downpipe bolts just like every other WRX.
I'll double check but my mechanic said that, it looked like that; I do have 2 brackets that were taken off, but neither of them seem to fit the heat shield.

-Blue

·
Registered
292 Posts
ok I bet one of those was the heatsheild bracket.
If I had a digi camera I would take a picture

you can easily reinstall it. Just take off the top two bolts from the
downpipe/turbo connection, fit the bracket on, then put the bolts back on. then you can mount the heat shield again.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kit99bar said:
ok I bet one of those was the heatsheild bracket.
If I had a digi camera I would take a picture

you can easily reinstall it. Just take off the top two bolts from the
downpipe/turbo connection, fit the bracket on, then put the bolts back on. then you can mount the heat shield again.
Thanks, I'll try that.

BTW, don't buy an HKS SSQV :D

Get a GFB HYBRID!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I made my own with thermo-tec cool-it mat. It's more of an insulator I guess, but it works very well. I blocked off the turbo all the way down to the tranny, basically like making a wall dividing the intercooler from everything else. Extremely light weight, mine's only held up by aluminum foil ducting tape. Cool-it mat in a 24" x 48" size costs $26 from summitracing, you'll use about 1/4 - 1/2 of it depending on if you want to double up the layers. The leftover you can use to wrap sensor wires, A/C piping, etc. I think I have some old pictures up on my yahoo page. The one in those pictures was my first one, I've since added a second layer because I had enough left over after doing everything else I wanted to under the hood.

·
Registered
292 Posts
is the GFB hybrid 50/50?

Blue2004WRX said:
Thanks, I'll try that.

BTW, don't buy an HKS SSQV :D

Get a GFB HYBRID!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kit99bar said:
is the GFB hybrid 50/50?
Both, which is a great design. It comes 50/50, so you can hook it up to your return hose, or you can use the blanking cap they provide to make it %100. I keep mine 50/50... quiet when I'm just putting around, but anything over 4,000 RPM and you get a sick sound.

-Blue

1 - 13 of 13 Posts