Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any one gimme some pointers for some driving techniques with an auto I am so slow off the light its crazy!!!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
hmmm, being a AWD auto, I'm not sure how to help except load up the torque converter to whatever the max is and let go of the brake when green. Perhaps you can buy a new torque converter to load it higher? I wouldn't suggest revving in neutral and popping into drive, don't know how it'll affect the WRX tranny, but from what I know, it's not so good for it. If you had a front wheel drive car, I would have said spin the tyres with the hand brake on and just let go of the handbrake...then again, I don't know too much about slushies.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah for ideal performance you will need a high stall converter. For for now try holding on to the break and rev it to around but not over 3,000 rpm and let it ripe. There are some every fast auto Rex out there.

Have fun.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I tryed the brake thing its okay but only when the car is still cold when its warm and i try to launch it its not all that great but when its cold hell it will snap you're neck...and yeah i never practice the neutral drop technique with my rex..

I also thought of a stall converter are there any available for the rex...??

·
Registered
57 Posts
BlownWRX said:
can any one gimme some pointers for some driving techniques with an auto I am so slow off the light its crazy!!!
If you keep the stock turbo, I'd do mods like this...

Up-pipe, K&N

Then if that still isn't enough spring for the torque converter/trans cooler

Then if that isn't enough, go with one of the Unichip vendors.

They do so much for low end acceleration that I doubt you'll need any more then that if all you want is an aggressive day to day driver. (READ: not going as nutty as I did ;) hehehe)

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
www.ProjectWRX.com

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I have that website in my favorets but never ran across the converter install..

there is something I did not understand though.
He said he purchased the converter from the dealer and then sent it out to get fixed up...why wouldent he just use the same converter that was on the car take it off and send it out..now hes stuck with an oem converter that is of no use..and he spend what like $600 for it. why not just use the one thats on the car now and send it off. and save you're self the $600 cause i mean if something breaks whos gonna go back with oem?

or did I mis understand something he said.?

Thanks for the write up though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
BlownWRX said:
yeah I have that website in my favorets but never ran across the converter install..

there is something I did not understand though.
He said he purchased the converter from the dealer and then sent it out to get fixed up...why wouldent he just use the same converter that was on the car take it off and send it out..now hes stuck with an oem converter that is of no use..and he spend what like $600 for it. why not just use the one thats on the car now and send it off. and save you're self the $600 cause i mean if something breaks whos gonna go back with oem?

or did I mis understand something he said.?

Thanks for the write up though.
OK... Let's take it by the numbers...

A: the stock unit from the dealership cost me $399.

B: I did it so that I would have minimal downtime. I've since sold my OLD converter recouping the loss.

C: the torque convter write up is located in professional modifications on the website (the Mods/Utilities submenu)

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
www.ProjectWRX.com

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh I see now...
Thanks for clearing that up..

If yuo don't mind me asking what did the old converter go for??
If you dont wanna answer that you don't have to but did you sell it to an individual or to a remanufactur?? or something like that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
BlownWRX said:
Ahh I see now...
Thanks for clearing that up..

If yuo don't mind me asking what did the old converter go for??
If you dont wanna answer that you don't have to but did you sell it to an individual or to a remanufactur?? or something like that.
Sold it to an individual on the I-Club for $300

Could I get more? Sure... do I care too? Nah..

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
www.ProjectWRX.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
blownWRX: I'm thinking about getting a high stall convertor like Rifts but not sure how the drivability is in daily traffic so untill I hear some more testimonials on it, but this is the technique I launch my auto. I personally think it's the best way to launch it even though I haven't done it too much due to not having a tranny cooler yet. First I put it in 2 which forces it to start off in 2nd. Starting in D or 3 starts up in 1st but not 2nd as some have said before it just goes out of 1st really quickly for smoothness. Try gassing it lightly in D or 3 from a stop and then from 2 and compare the differfence. This is why I think it's not starting in 2nd gear in D. Like many autos from different manufacturers, 2nd is there for low traction surfaces like ice or snow. So what I do is I start off with 2nd selected and brake torque it. When I do this, it goes to 2800-2900rpm with less effort compared to the other gear selections.. then when the light turns green throw it down to 1st / floor it and the rpms will shoot up over 3000 and that's when you let off the brake and you go like a mofo. I broke the tires loose just about everytime I do this. Whether or not this way is fastest or not I dont know as I haven't tested it all that much but I think it's the easiest way to get consitant launches with the stock converter. Now for the tranny cooler.. then eventually the high stall convertor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That makes talking on the cell phone while eating my donut on the way to work next to impossible. I can't imagine how I would read the newspaper after doing that.:p

Ok, let's get it straight now. My race car is a 5-speed and I love the performance it provides. My WRX is a slushbox - and I love the performance it provides! Sure, it's not as sweet a package as the 5-speed for spinning the tires off the line, but pinch my toes and call me Shirley if I don't spend 99.99% of my actual drive time already rolling down the road - where the auto gives up paltry little to the stick.

I drove a 98 Legacy GT 5-speed for about six months, and frankly the clutch judder was the most annoying aspect of the car. The late model WRX can be prone to the same condition. Until Subaru fixes that issue permanently, I will never purchase another stick from them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get the Unichip. I got TurboXS's Stage 1. The auto rex now goes like the clappers.

There's a healthy increase in the low range of RPMs, and a huge big whopping increase once the turbo reaches the magical 3k mark.

It's like buying a Civic and turning it into Mad Max's Interceptor :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Turbo XS Stage one will give you more power but wont help lag much. I have stage 2 with up-pipe and lightened pulleys. Even just stage 2 didn't help much with lag on the auto. Only thing that helped significantly with lag on the auto is the up-pipe and pulleys. Cant tell you which one helped more cuz I installed both at the same time. Now brake torquing works WAY better and launches are more consistant as boost comes on 500rpm earlier.

AL

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Wow this is a great thread, thanks guys!

Heh yeah tranny swap...I'd love too...but at what cost? Probably too much for me...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts