Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One more question.. How bad/good is this car for a person who is new to driving stick?

eitherway -There is no turning back for me.. lol. Its mine in a couple days... and I've only been driving stick (fell in love with it) for a about 3 weeks (messing around in my buddy's mustang and jeep)

thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh just don't be nervious when you drive... people tend to stall goinf from neutral to 1st... but i'm sure you'll be fine.

I think waht I feared most when I started driving (I learned how to drive on a stick) was when I stop on a hill with cars in front and behind me becuase if you mess up you'd roll back and hit the car behind you, so beware of that. If you do get very nervous you can use your parking brakes, hopefully this tip helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like he said, just be carefull on the launches. This car stalls pretty easily (I guess compared to the pickup trucks I usually drive, with gobs of torque), I stalled mine several times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that this isn't the easiest stick to drive with the lack of low end torque, but a lack of familiarity may actually help a person... someone learning to drive stick on this car doesn't bring along any preconceived notions from years of driving other manual trans cars that behaved very differently - sometimes a fresh perspective is a good thing...

one way to look at it anyway...

[ May 19, 2001: Message edited by: Somber ]

[ May 19, 2001: Message edited by: Somber ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, sounds good to me :) I'm just worried about messing up the car by stalling out here and there. Otherwise, I'm sure after my all night session with the car :D I should be pretty familiar with the clutch engagement Wish me luck ! heh.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up my black WRX sedan this evening!!! :) ... but no pics yet since its been raining here in NY since I got it :mad:

I must say.. I stalled out a good ten times total today in getting used to the clutch on this but I've been fine for the last 50 miles or so. Thanks for the input and advice folks ;) Right now im still babying it into first gear. :rolleyes:

What are the repercussions of my stalls in the car today? I figure it could happen again soon most likely while going up a steep hill from a complete stop. I feel sooOO lame :( .. but we all gotta start somewhere :D

Regardless, this car is a blast to drive!
101 miles so far :cool:

[ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: opiumprophet ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's okay you'll get it sooner or later :) Just put it in gear, slowly let go of the clutch and give it a little gas at the same time and you shouldn't stall. Usually you stall when you let go of the clutch too fast.

Here's another tip: If your right foot is not on the brake or the gas pedal and if you let go of your clutch 1/2 way (while your're in 1st gear) your car will SLOWLY move forward. Same thing applies when you're in reverse. This might help when you try to get out of a tight parallel parking spot in NY.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My philosophy is not to think about it too much. When I started driving stick 5 years ago, I was thinking about it too much ( i.e. press down the clutch, shift into 1st, give it some gas while easing off the clutch,etc,etc) You know the procedure, so just do it. It helped me learn a lot quicker when i just had the attitude of "F**K IT and Just Do It".

my .02
ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blazin: Thanks. Right now im in between semi to smooth shifts into first and letting off the clutch juuust a bit too fast.. but its coming along and I havent stalled in a while :) The clutch only engagement is a nice feature but im only using it to test out the car's grab here and there ;) Its definately a helpful thing in tight spots (granted you are on level ground :)) But I wont be hitting the city until im much more skilled ;)

Fuji: Totally a good philosophy.. just feel it! After my initial stages of stick driving on my buddy's Mustang and PT Cruiser I think this car is definately way more of a challenge to drive. Its most similar to the launch of the PT since there is little low end to it which was a good thing to have had some experience with before I picked up the WRX.

Arrgh! The rain has_not_let up as yet :mad: but AWD in rain is a blessing!

Finally, I know the clutch gets some wear put on it when you stall.. but just how much am I damaging this car by learning on it during the break in period? That's truly my biggest concern :rolleyes:

Sorry to babble like a noob about driving folks :p All feedback is most appreciated :D

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: opiumprophet ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just wanted to say thanks again for input about driving stick .. Im now doing fine up hills now and launching nicely.

Stick Rules! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
opium,

I'm glad you went for the stick even though you didn't know how to drive it. There's a whole new dimension of fun in it for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Speaking of sticks...I worked a short throw shifter into my deal just over a month ago. I'm told that there's a huge backorder on these and that (here's where the relevancy to your question comes into play) shifts are required to be more physical and are not as forgiving as far as getting the gear to seat. Just a FYI and a personal curiosity if any of yutes have been delayed on this option as well - or as to how you like your Subaru short throw.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a custom B&M shorshifter and it reduces the throw by 21%. I thought it was too stiff in the beginning and I still do when I play around with it, but then again I don't really notice the stiffness when I'm driving. B&M should have the shifter kits out soon, you can e-mail them and ask them if you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts