ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently trying to narrow down the problem and would love some second opinions.

My car has been making a very obvious whining noise when I go past 2100 rpms in 2nd gear and up. It sounds slightly louder on the passenger side. It doesn't make that ugly clicking sound, so i don't think it's the axles(i feel like ive broken enough of those bad boys to know if it were the culprit). The car has 111,000 miles and it's sitting at 360hp right now, with stock drivetrain, so i suspect something may be going wrong. My guess is the differential just because of the noise, and i popped under to check it out and there is a slight oil leak nearby that i am about to trace, (waiting for my car to turn on; it's cold AF right now and those cold starts on E are semi-impossible).

If anyone has any advice or idea on what I should check out or look for please drop a comment I'd really appreciate it!
TIA yall!

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
Far too many people are hyper-sensitive to noise when (in fact) there is very little correlation to benign noises and catastrophic failures. I get it, I've been there -- but realistically you need to relax about the noise and focus on regular maintenance. When gearboxes go, they go fast -- no warning no noises until the catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Far too many people are hyper-sensitive to noise when (in fact) there is very little correlation to benign noises and catastrophic failures. I get it, I've been there -- but realistically you need to relax about the noise and focus on regular maintenance. When gearboxes go, they go fast -- no warning no noises until the catastrophic failure.
lol no man trust me im semi lax about things haha. THIS is definitely not one of those times, the noise is unsettling and can be heard cities away(dramatic but you get it) I installed my fmic today so while I was under I checked it out and there definitely some leakage from the front diff near the drain plug, and also another leak nearby that has one bolt dripping with gear fluid. I took some pics but.... the lighting washes away any sign of the leak so I didn't bother to upload :(

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
Who tuned for the FMIC or are we just slapping parts on the car now?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who tuned for the FMIC or are we just slapping parts on the car now?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
car is dyno tuned by CP Motorsports :)
shes currently down right now as I am fixing some issues and adding on all the parts i've been accumulating before a Re-tune.
so no, not just slappin on parts.

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
Then I would have a talk with CP Motorsports since you've paid for their services. So you had the car dyno tuned today since the FMIC install?

If you feel so inclined, you could drain the transmission oil and look for metal shavings. Based on my experience, sound has little correlation to drivetrain failure until it's too late. Then the noise is unmistakable.

Exactly what mods does the car have?

The very likely explanation is that the various driveline bushes are aging.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then I would have a talk with CP Motorsports since you've paid for their services. So you had the car dyno tuned today since the FMIC install?

If you feel so inclined, you could drain the transmission oil and look for metal shavings. Based on my experience, sound has little correlation to drivetrain failure until it's too late. Then the noise is unmistakable.

Exactly what mods does the car have?

The very likely explanation is that the various driveline bushes are aging.
no, car wont be retuned until I'm done doing a couple other things to the car. I totally forgot to mention something pretty significant, i just changed the transmission and front diff fluid and there were some metal shavings that got attached the magnetic drain plug (3 pieces were pretty big) Ive always heard a few small shaving are considered 'normal" but i'm not too sure about this. What i'm not sure of is, if it is the diif thats bad- how can i tell if the entire thing is slaughtered or just a part that could possibly be individually replaced? I don't plan on taking the car to the shop for this problem as they just tune my car, I typically work on everything else myself.
As for the mods aside from the fmic I have turboback exhaust, CAI, Short shifter/Shift Plate/Shift Stop, ACT HD Clutch, Flex Fuel Kit and DynoTuned By CP Motorsports

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
Well if you aren't driving the car, then ignore what I've said. If you are driving the car, then you are indeed "slapping parts on the car."

Find a shop that specializes in drivetrains and take the car to them. This is way over your head.

If the diff is bad, the car will hop and bind on turns and/or in a straight line depending on the nature of the failure.

If the metal shavings are gear teeth, there isn't a damn thing you can do about it besides rebuild/replace the transmission.

Reactions: Pooks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thing that stands out to me is you have already "broken enough" of the axles. I've noticed that the Diffs/ Transmission is usually not much stronger than the axles. Do you launch the car or powershift? Usually It's not too bad with the stock clutch but a high grip clutch can be really hard on the WRX transmission. Did it start all of a sudden or gradually? Did something trigger it to start making noise?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well if you aren't driving the car, then ignore what I've said. If you are driving the car, then you are indeed "slapping parts on the car."

Find a shop that specializes in drivetrains and take the car to them. This is way over your head.

If the diff is bad, the car will hop and bind on turns and/or in a straight line depending on the nature of the failure.

If the metal shavings are gear teeth, there isn't a damn thing you can do about it besides rebuild/replace the transmission.
Yeah I’m not driving the car except when I’m testing something out. I plan on tackling this one myself. That’s why I’m trying to first pinpoint the problem. I don’t mind taking my time; I’ll never learn until I do it 😌

I guess at this point I need to do more research to determine what exactly it could be, because I moved the car from the garage today and justbelow 6mph the car sounded Grindy and hopped. I’m thinking it is the diff but I plan on having the car down for a while until I better prepare for tackling this

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thing that stands out to me is you have already "broken enough" of the axles. I've noticed that the Diffs/ Transmission is usually not much stronger than the axles. Do you launch the car or powershift? Usually It's not too bad with the stock clutch but a high grip clutch can be really hard on the WRX transmission. Did it start all of a sudden or gradually? Did something trigger it to start making noise?
Sorry should have clarified, I haven’t snapped axles in the Subaru. I had a few years back srt4 and before I upgraded the axles they would snap like twigs.

the car is launched HARD. I do either track or almost strictly digs so it definitely has gone through it, also I have the Hd clutch rn on my car.

after one run I remember the whining noise started out of no where, it was very troubling and noticeable. As of now the car is not driven and hops. There were metal shavings when I changed diff fluid last week.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 02 5MT is whining (30mph and above all gears) and as I know it is the front viscous clutch. When I turn out of a parking spot I do get a shudder from the front. Do you have any shuddering at slow speed with wheels fully turned?

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
My 02 5MT is whining (30mph and above all gears) and as I know it is the front viscous clutch. When I turn out of a parking spot I do get a shudder from the front. Do you have any shuddering at slow speed with wheels fully turned?
You don't have a "front viscous clutch."

·
Registered
63 Posts
Really. It viscous

CENTER DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY [5-Speed] SPECIAL ORDER NON-RETURNABLE*
This Fits Your 2002 Subaru WRX (205) 5MT 4WD SEDAN

38913AA102 Product ImageView CENTER DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY [5-speed] **SPECIAL ORDER NON-RETURNABLE*** Full-Sized Product ImageView CENTER DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY [5-speed] **SPECIAL ORDER NON-RETURNABLE*** Full-Sized Product ImageView CENTER DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY [5-speed] **SPECIAL ORDER NON-RETURNABLE*** Full-Sized Product ImageView CENTER DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY [5-speed] **SPECIAL ORDER NON-RETURNABLE*** Full-Sized Product ImageView CENTER DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY [5-speed] **SPECIAL ORDER NON-RETURNABLE*** Full-Sized Product Image
Part Number: 38913AA102
Supersession(s): 38913AA100; 38913AA101
Fits Baja, Crosstrek, Forester, Impreza, Legacy, Outback, STI, WRX

·
11,965 Posts
Thats the center diff, not the front diff.

·
11,965 Posts
Anal crap
Even the rebuttal you posted clearly labels it as a center differential. Not sure what angle you are trying for but they all lead to it not being a front diff/clutch/whatever

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry should have clarified, I haven’t snapped axles in the Subaru. I had a few years back srt4 and before I upgraded the axles they would snap like twigs.

the car is launched HARD. I do either track or almost strictly digs so it definitely has gone through it, also I have the Hd clutch rn on my car.

after one run I remember the whining noise started out of no where, it was very troubling and noticeable. As of now the car is not driven and hops. There were metal shavings when I changed diff fluid last week.
Yeah sounds like the transmission needs a rebuild. How much torque were you putting out on your dyno? STI transmission swap would be good if you want something more durable otherwise you can get used WRX ones fairly cheap.
When the transmission is in rough shape there isn't really fixing just the "problem" you need a full rebuild and those are not cheap and decently complicated. also need specialized tools

1 - 20 of 34 Posts