Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between Intelligent/Sport/Sport Sharp modes, the manual itself has some pretty short and vague explanations for each.. I havent been able to come across any clear explanations. I guess I'm looking for a more technical breakdown of the three that includes changes in average MPG, gear ratios, etc. I'm assuming Intelligent gives you the most efficiency? What am I losing/gaining between all three? Subuaru's site mentions Sport to be "the best setting for all-around driving because it keeps the engine and transmission in their most efficient settings in normal circumstances" whatever that means.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
Here's a link from Planet Subaru. They usually have some good info:
Boston Subaru Dealer | What is Subaru's Lineartronic Continuously Variable Transmission? | Planet Subaru Hanover Massachusetts

My not so technical explanation:
I mode = MPG friendly (does not simulate any gears)
S mode = 6 gears simulated (my preferred around town setting...sportier driving / butt dyno says best acceleration in this setting)
S# mode = 8 gears simulated w/ rev matching / when you use this setting the shifts are much more obvious and you can really feel them. When slowing down, say coming to a turn, it will hold the revs up while you're turning, then when you've completed your fairly aggressive turn you can get back into the throttle without it having to 'downshift'. This setting would be the best in a mountainous drive with twists and turns. In city driving it's just silly.

All modes can be shifted manually when moving the gear selector to manual mode. You will need to use the paddles to shift. There's no shifting from the gear selector itself.
I'm in 'S' mode full auto 90% of the time now that I've played around with everything over the past year or so. Keep in mind I drive in city 100% of the time as of now.

If you do any highway driving, keeping it in 'I' mode will keep your RPMs down to the lowest possible range when cruising which in turn will give you better MPGs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man I think you explained it better than your link! I've been only running in "I" and I'm getting about 24.4 MPG but I do a lot of highway going to work I wonder what it might drop to using Sport more often.. I'm assuming there's no harm in toggling it mid-drive? My mazda had a "Sport Mode" button. I would press that thing like a video game controller button. What a joke that was compared to this.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
You can toggle it whenever you want. However, I'm not sure I'd be toggling it constantly each and every day. As for the MPG difference, there's about a 500 RPM difference at highway cruising speeds between 'I' and 'S'. Whatever that translates to in MPG saved I don't know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts