ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Have you guys ever drifted your cars? Even if I find a place in congested Houston, I still wouldn't know how:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
I did, but not on purpose. Rain + crappy RE-92s + stupid driving going WOT turning left from a stop = DRIIIIIIIIFT and almost hitting a parked car :mad:

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Verdugo said:
I did, but not on purpose. Rain + crappy RE-92s + stupid driving going WOT turning left from a stop = DRIIIIIIIIFT and almost hitting a parked car :mad:
I've done that a few times with previous cars. It's not a pleasant experience:(

·
Registered
831 Posts
WRXin' said:
Have you guys ever drifted your cars? Even if I find a place in congested Houston, I still wouldn't know how:rolleyes:
Yes, but only on a road circuit.

If you want to practice, I'd say find a wide open parking lot or someplace where nobody will bother you or take it in the dirt (again, where it's safe to do so) and you can practice it at a lower speed. Or you could enter an autoX event or do a track day.

That's a great photo, dR. Do you know what track it was taken on ?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
i did today. I was making a left (raining slightly) and i floored it. The car started sliding sideways :D. It's fun. My best drift was a couple of months ago when i was going over a wet over pass with a 90 degree turn in it. I was going too fast. And the rear end of the car slid a little away i corrected a little with throttle and steering and i kept it there for about 10 second. It can be fun. Wet + RE92's= easy drifting :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Two questions for the experinced drifters:

1. Once you begin to come out of being sideways does your car ever over compensate and fishtail?

2. How fast do you have to be going to begin a drift?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I consider myself to be a "more experienced" drifter. Growing up in northern Wisconsin where there are plenty of dirt roads and snow for half of the year helps.

On gravel so far, I've mostly just come out of drifts and pulled straight. This car is pretty predictable when it is drifting. It may drift back the other way if you correct too much with the wheels, or if you suddenly got a lot of grip espeically to the front tires. With experience you get to learn how far you are going to need to compensate.

Drifting doesn't require much speed actually, it just depends on the surface. If you are on snow/ice you can drift at 10-20mph I'd guess. Obviously the more grip you have the harder it will be to break the rear tires loose.

I can't stress enough that everybody should be careful on busy public roads and trying drifts. They aren't predictible by any means, and you definitely can end up swapping ends really quickly, which could be very bad in traffic. I think when it rains is the WORST time to try drifting, because there are so many things that can contribute to tire grip (quality of tires, oil on ground, speckles of gravel in a corner, paint striping, etc, etc).

Just be careful. I'm off the soapbox.

Jay

·
Registered
831 Posts
BoarderEight said:
Two questions for the experinced drifters:

1. Once you begin to come out of being sideways does your car ever over compensate and fishtail?

2. How fast do you have to be going to begin a drift?

Thanks everyone
1. I never have had this problem, but I suppose it could certainly happen on wet pavement, snow or ice.

2. The last place I'm looking in a drift is at the speedometer. :D Don't mean to tease you here, BoarderEight. But the answer is "fast enought to break traction". As the chickencow says, it all depends on the road surface, your tires, etc. On dry tarmac, your tires should give you warning, increasing howl, you'll feel yourself on the edge of traction, side-slipping a little, and next you're drifting ! :cool: Work up to it by repeating the same section at gradually increasing speeds.

But don't investigate this under normal street driving conditions. Why not enter an autoX ? You may not get any long drifts there but it's a great way to explore you car's handling limits.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I personaly find it hard to get my WRX to drift. It just seems to have too much understeer for me. This may just be me though. I'm more use to driving my old school Celica. It is RWD, very light a$$, and all about oversteer. I use to drift that car every other weekend on the wide open contry roads.

·
Registered
260 Posts
yep, drifting is fun.

I've rode several times with my friend in his 2nd gen rx7. went into the ditch once or twice but all was good.

my rx7 friend told me once he was riding with a group of imprezas and they were messing with a civic. they did a sharp turn and drifted alittle and the civic tried to copy them, and went slamming into the curb. it shoved his axle into his transmission.

its pretty fun to trayslide with FWD cars too. mostly used by those hondas/acura that are fwd. sort of simulates drifting.

·
Registered
518 Posts
drift in a dakota

It can be a chore on dry roads, but combine positive traction rwd with a slippery road, and let the fun commence.

Talk about freak out the local ********..see a bright blue loud ass truck coming at them sideways...then staightening out and hauling ass away.

Sorry...couldn't help myself...I love it:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts