Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone here drifted with their rex...i kinda want to get into it but im not too sure about AWD techniques...yeah =\

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Actually I'll be nice for once. There are various different methods of "drifting." The basic idea is to upset the rear wheels, quite obviously of course. On various cars(especially FWD), this can be achieved by yanking the hand brake. In fact it can be very effective for mid corner adjustability especially with a hydraulic handbrake...as used in FWD rallying such as JWRC.

Basic hooligan style drifting techniques include lift off oversteer which basically entails that you enter a corner with highish rpms and lift off the throttle mid corner causing lots of engine braking(which loads the front and weights the back, kicking it out). This method lacks adjustabilty however and is more for kicks than a performance driving technique.

Power oversteer can be achieved in various ways. The crude, again hooligan, method is to abruptly yank the steering hard over and slam the throttle. Other methods include coming into the corner mid throttle, using slight abrupt lift off and back hard on the throttle...then using the throttle to adjust tightness of turn.

Hard in and out is other method...this is generally characterised by using slower corner speeds(ie maintaining momentum). Heavy braking prior to corner, trailing deep and hard throttle on the way out will often gently step the rear out.

Left foot braking combines some of the above principles and will take a whole different post to cover how it is effective and accomplished properly

·
Registered
907 Posts
I use the coming into the corner mid throttle technique on a wrx. Wish i could show you guys my vid at the track.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I'm still taking it kind of easy on my rex, but I actually did my first full on 4 wheel drift in it yesterday morning coming home from work. Roads were wet, so take that into account.

Ill set it up for you...

It's about a 65mph curve if the roads are dry and you nail the entrance/exit perfectly. Downhill, decreasing radius left, on camber, 2 lanes.

I was passing 2 log trucks and it took me farther than expected to get past them both, and entered the turn WAY to fast (about 70mph). I was already on the inside lane, I turned my wheels hard over and started to plow. First instinct was to hit the brakes but that would have sent me off the road. I kept the wheel hard over, clutched in, downshifted to 3rd at WOT, kicked the clutch and induced a major amount of oversteer. Countersteerd and kept the throttle nailed till I had my line. Feathered the throttle and played the wheel till I passed the apex, then started to back off, straightened it up, and was... OUTTIE!!! The guy in the car that came past me in the curve had a CRAZY look on his face as I came past him sideways.

I was scared ****less going into the curve, but as I regained full traction I was ready to turn around and do it again.

That's just one method, I wouldn't necessarily recommend clutch kicks unless theres is less than optimal traction or an emergency, but it worked well.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Very hooligan....
Mid corner clutch popping or mid corner shifting to induce oversteer is dangerous. Especially what you described...you say that braking would have been bad in the situation of plowing understeer, which for the most part is true. Downshifting the way you did created the same effect by massive engine braking loading the front and the reason why your rear kicked out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
schischwein said:
Very hooligan....
Mid corner clutch popping or mid corner shifting to induce oversteer is dangerous. Especially what you described...you say that braking would have been bad in the situation of plowing understeer, which for the most part is true. Downshifting the way you did created the same effect by massive engine braking loading the front and the reason why your rear kicked out.

Well it was really my only other option at the time ;)

And it didn't load the front, I clutched in with the throttle floored and let it bounce off the limiter, when I popped the clutch out it was only to get all 4 tires to break loose so I could change the attitude of the skid and countersteer through it, the back end didn't come around the front, the entire car was rotating, so the back didn't kick out... had I just down shifted and loaded the front tires I would have spun out and off the road with the tires at that angle and that speed. The exact same reason I didn't brake.

Even in retrospect I can't think of a better way I could have pulled it off, cept for maybe e-brake drift, but I figure it would have shifted my weight forward too much also...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Experiencing a plowing understeer for the first time is not a good feeling at all. I almost nailed a curb the first month I drove the WRX. A rear swaybar really helps this problem.

I prefer to throttle oversteer myself, I feel much more in control than lifting off throttle oversteer. I had a real bad experience with lift off oversteer which involved a 540 degree spin through a front lawn, a mail box, and about a 1/2 acre of sod. I made the mistake (actually panicked) and lifted off the throttle while exiting an "S" turn over a crest while in a serious power drift on wet asphalt. The rear end got super loose, I overcompensated and lost all control. Once I was in the spin the only thing I could do was lock the brakes and put the clutch down.

If I had maintained some throttle I think I could have pulled it out especially with AWD. Oh well, all and all it was a lesson learned. Only took out my tailight and got a couple small dings on the trunk. None of these techniques should be praticed on the street anywhere near other cars or people. <-- yes, I'm a hypocrite but I learned my lesson. This stuff should be done either on a track or out in the sticks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Damn!! You guys are hard core. Regular weekend rally drivers here. No really, those stories are awsome, I learned alot just from reading them. When I get my '04 WRX, I am going to have to find someone in my area who has the same car, or similar practice/experiance drifting and handling there car aggresivly. I serioulsy want to learn about all this crap, but can't afford to go to one of the high priced driving schools. Keep the stories coming as well as the insight and advice. Thanks.

Michael

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ever since i've lowered my camber has been a little messed up, should i fix the camber before i start drifting or not worry about it?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well it really depends on what kind of understeer you experienced. There's understeer that is power understeer...ie front end washing out. There's understeer when you are simply abrupt with the steering input interrupting the front wheels abruptly as well as simply carrying too much speed...
I suspect that the latter two conditions apply to you the most, especially given that you were on the inside prior to the corner and stated that you turned hard over.

First off, I don't suggest using the handbrake with the rex simply for the fact that over time it's not good for the center diff. It does however provide a good way to recover and it doesn't in fact load up the front really.

In conditions of the above, there are infact more consistent ways to recover that clutching in. Slow backing off the throttle with modultion and tactile inputs on the steering(ie not hard over) are usually the easiest. Left foot braking is a more advanced technique and when done properly with modulation between brake and throttle plus slow hand inputs on the wheel provides the most adjustability...This is a technique often employed by rallyers. In addition, to complement left foot braking, a more advanced technique is to pivot the car with a flick. While experiencing plowing, you unwind some of the lock you've turned to unweight the outside briefly and tug some lock back on. This allows you to pivot the car.

One crucial element to keep in mind is using slow hands. Use precise, tactile hand inputs and go with steering rather than force it hard over.

Two feet in should be used when you've completely lost it..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, well, there was NO way I was gonna have full traction in that curve, I can't take that curve when the roads are dry at that speed.

I turned into the curve and started to push into the outside lane. I definitely didn't want low traction in the front, and losing traction in the rear would have brought the back end on around as soon as I hit the apex. At that split second the ONLY way I could think of to lose equal amounts of traction at all 4 wheels was to kick the clutch. I know it's not a great technique but it worked in a pinch.

And I'm well aware that ebraking will damage the center diff, but as this was an emergency I figured a funked diff was beter than a totaled car and possibly a dead me.

2 feet in was DEFINITELY not an option, as I said I was passing 2 log trucks, stopping would have resulted in my being tag teamed by two 5+ ton trucks, right before the car coming the opposite direction nailed me from the other side.

I'm by NO means an expert at drifting or driving, hell Ive never drifted on a track in my life, no training, nada. It's just the best I could come up with to save my car and my ass. So although what your saying is probably correct, it's not a technique I'm familiar enough with to have used in such a hurry with a high degree of confidence.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'd suggest going to local autox or rallyx events. They'll let you safely get more comfortable in the car before you do it on the street and accidently curb a wheel or possibly something worse.

If you've got gravel around, practice there if the roads aren't too busy, or wait for snow (if it snows where you are).

·
Registered
33 Posts
You mean they make roads out of stuff other than gravel, dirt and snow?? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I live in West Virginia, we have dirt/gravel roads out tha ying-yang. And we GET some snow, hehe... we had huge amounts of snow last year, for this area anyway. Too bad I was still breaking the car in :(

Yeah, I definitely nees to practice, I don't pull that kinda stuff on public roads, that's just plain irresponsible, and more to the point, dangerous to my car :D

It was nice actually having an intelligent/technical conversation though... thankee :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Beer is good, but.....

but how do i drift on a big swatch of urban tarmac with no sand/snow/gravel? (excuse for bump) diggin' this thread

best,
TILT

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here is how I drifted the other day on a 90 degree West Texas highway.

Probably wasn't the best way to do it, but here it is. Take in mind this was a two lane highway with many twists. I was going along, taking the cruise as a nice relaxor. Came up on a few curves that ended up being tighter than I thought...hiting the first one smooth, then the next twisted my rear end a little making it loose. Trying to correct, I over stirred (as many has complained about)...sooo...I punched the gas...pulling out of the drift...and this WAS THE BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!

And I have drifted in snow, ice, and water alot. The WRX is BEST in dirt, but tarmac can be fun!!!...

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey apod,
you've been posting a lot tonite and kind of grumpy (even dissin' my poor little dog!) but after reading yer drift post, all is forgiven. Can't wait to drift here in the desert. Soon, baby, soon!

best,
TILT

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sorry for the grumpyness. I had my wisdom teeth pulled (all 4) on Friday and they still hurt!!!! That's why I am still up (pain).

I was just messin with your dog. I worked at a vet clinic a long time ago and one thing I took from there. I fully repect animals. They take way more crap than you think and still love you for it!

I have a dog, cat, bid and a rat...not by choice! LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts