ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please, dont bash me. Im just curious, and would like to know peoples answers, opinions, and proven facts.

A little background. I used to drift my 240sx, alot, at PIR. Really comfortable behind the wheel. Never do anything stupid, and honestly not a stupid person. I always wore a helmet and had a harness on.

So, occasionally i screw around and do little e-brake 180's in my buddys coffee shop's open parking lot. Just me being a dork. Well, he thinks its really cool, and had me show him how to e-brake. So i showed him, and he did a few. Then today, we swung by an open parking lot way outside of town, and he wanted to try a few more. So he tried two, and just got mad understeer, and couldnt get it. I hopped in, and did a nice one, then, second time around, i eased out on the clutch while giving it a little gas, and turned it into a nice drift. Now yesterday, i went to find snow, and also could e-brake into some cul-d-sacs with a little snow on them(mind you they are at a state park like 15 miles out of town no one around) and power through the whole circle, keeping it sideways.

Now here is my actual question. Ive heard that drifting in our cars, can screw up the diffs, or possible the x-fer case. Is this true? Also, if someone could enlighten me on WHY it screws them up, id love to know, because im just curious, and want to know how bad it will be if i make this a little habit. Oh, by the way, its only on snow or rainy parking lots, never dry. Please help me out guys. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It is my understanding (my n00b opinion and compilation of information, unless I'm misunderstanding) that its not the actual drifting thats hurting your car.

Pulling the ebrake will lock the rear wheels, while the fronts are still trying to run. AWD means all 4 wheels are being driven, so if you lock up the rears, ur putting stress on the transfer case or diff/s. You've also got to remember how much power your car has. If you're dumping the clutch to get ur car to drift, thats alot of stress on your tranny. Again, all four wheels means alot more resistance on your drivetrain than a two wheel drive system.

I'm new to scoobs, but this is what i've put together so far.

I'm curious though if most owners are just over cautious (as I am), or if you can really cause that much damage that quickly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i completely understand where your coming from, and bring up good points. Here are a few things that come to mind with me. When i go e-brake, i push in the clutch, so no power is being delivered. Also, im not dumping the clutch, im very easy on it, and i ease it out to get the tires spinning, or keep them spinning, because as im sliding, they have already broke traction, therefore doesnt take as much i dont think.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
1: Our cars don't have a transfer case.
2: When you lock the rear wheels while moving you are now spinning the front wheels at an extremely different speed than the rears. This heats up the center diff, wears the discs at an accelerated rate, and eventually destroys the diff. When the diff. finally gives out, the car won't move anymore. It's rather sudden, and will leave you on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any drifting is going to accelerate wear on drivetrain components, but ebraking it is the big no no.
What he said. :tongue:

I rub my car with a diaper and look at it. Thats better than really driving it anyway rite.

And sit in the driver seat and make engine noises.
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts

I rub my car with a diaper and look at it. Thats better than really driving it anyway rite.

Oh, I fully recommend attending 7-11 dorifto meets to earn street cred. What else could be done with such a dorifto machine!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
+1 to Trainrex

Regardless of clutch status, the center diff is still doing it's job at all times the car is moving.

Also, I don't believe AWD drifting with a 50/50 torque split type center diff (as found in the WRX), is really possible. The front tires are not merely being pushed, they are pulling just as hard as the rear are pushing. If the rear wheels are spinning, then effectively all torque is being applied to the front wheels. Yes, I realize that you might be able to keep all 4 wheels spinning, but this wouldn't be considered drifting would it?

Anyone want to chime in?

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
1: Our cars don't have a transfer case.
2: When you lock the rear wheels while moving you are now spinning the front wheels at an extremely different speed than the rears. This heats up the center diff, wears the discs at an accelerated rate, and eventually destroys the diff. When the diff. finally gives out, the car won't move anymore. It's rather sudden, and will leave you on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.
^^^ QFT.

Oh, I fully recommend attending 7-11 dorifto meets to earn street cred. What else could be done with such a dorifto machine!
+1

And 40lb chrome 20" bling rims will give you mad tyte style points yo.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
+1 to Trainrex

Regardless of clutch status, the center diff is still doing it's job at all times the car is moving.

Also, I don't believe AWD drifting with a 50/50 torque split type center diff (as found in the WRX), is really possible. The front tires are not merely being pushed, they are pulling just as hard as the rear are pushing. If the rear wheels are spinning, then effectively all torque is being applied to the front wheels. Yes, I realize that you might be able to keep all 4 wheels spinning, but this wouldn't be considered drifting would it?

Anyone want to chime in?
*Cue pompous teenager voice* Thats why when I wanna drift-o my WRX I remove the front axle shafts, cause that way it doesn't hurt anything (
yeah right), and I get mad oversteer with tire smoke. Its teh best driFTAR evar!!

In all seriousness though Micah theres truth to your assumptions, as Team Orange has RWD subies, as was the Red Evo in the latest F&F movie. If you ever watch that movie, the special features making of is the best part, in which they tell you the magic number of Evo parts they went through because it wasn't designed to live life that way. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
+1

And 40lb chrome 20" bling rims will give you mad tyte style points yo.
I watch the kids down at 7-11! They have mad dorifto skillZ yo in their civic hatch and RSX's pushing their (estimated) '300whp' from their axleback systems. :rotfl:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
*Cue pompous teenager voice* Thats why when I wanna drift-o my WRX I remove the front axle shafts, cause that way it doesn't hurt anything (
yeah right), and I get mad oversteer with tire smoke. Its teh best driFTAR evar!!

In all seriousness though Micah theres truth to your assumptions, as Team Orange has RWD subies, as was the Red Evo in the latest F&F movie. If you ever watch that movie, the special features making of is the best part, in which they tell you the magic number of Evo parts they went through because it wasn't designed to live life that way. :)
I own the DVD (my collection is somewhere over 1200 DVD's), but never watched the extra features. I'll have to check it out.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
Stick to RWD Nissans.

Also take notice to Trainrex advise. Sure it looks cool to thrash your car around but having it towed and paying $$$ to get it fix does not.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
I own the DVD (my collection is somewhere over 1200 DVD's), but never watched the extra features. I'll have to check it out.
I own it as well and found the 40min ish special features on how they did it more fun than the movie. I guess I'm a nerd.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im not soo much concerned with looking cool, most of the time i mess around, im by myself or only with one friend. i was just curious as to what i was looking at encountering. if something breaks, its an excuse to replace it with something better :) i plan to do all the work myself. also, i read about it somewhere, a center diff that sends only 35% power to the front, which makes it handle more like a rwd car, any thoughts on those? keep in mind, im not some young dumb kid looking to f-up my car, im just curious.

·
Registered
794 Posts

that pretty much sums up my life right there! my engine noises r teh roxxorz!

but yea i urge everyone out there to go rent the fast and the furious w/e the latest one is 3 maybe? tokyo drift and watch the making of and all the other special features soo much better than the actual movie! those actors must have isht themselves when they found out they get paid too much money to learn how to drift on expensive performance cars that they dont have to pay to fix!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts