Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over lunch while thinking of the whole 3000GT thread, I came across a thought: while we often see p!ssing matches erupt over drag races, I don't think I've ever seen anyone launch into homophobic, profanity-laced diatribes as a result of an autocross win or loss.

I mean, sure, every now and then you'll get a n00b (usually in a fast car that he can't drive very well) who grabs a few bad times or DNFs and leaves while complaining loudly that autocrossing is "chickens--t racing" or somesuch... but for the most part, everyone seems to take things well and have fun.

I remember just last year I was gridded next to some guy in a Street Prep VR4, and after our first run we were comparing times, and when he found out I ran two seconds faster than him, he lavished praise on my skills and the Miata's handling prowess while I thanked him profusely and assured him that his times would improve during the next three runs, but he would always be able to stomp me in drag. Comparing that to the stuff that went down in WRX vs World provided a pretty stout contrast between the two worlds.

Do you guys find the same thing going on? If so, what's the deal? Is it just that adults (and adult-minded people) tend to gravitate to autocross while most boy-racers only drag, or is there something about the drag "more power = better" mentality that tends to attract uncouth folks?

(caveat: I don't mean to say all drag racers are like this, only a much higher percentage of them than autocrossers)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
AXJ,

Street racing, which is something that I acknowledge and appreciate, but will not partake in, brings about the kind of stupid, childish behavior that we saw in dug's thread.

I find that when I'm at Atco, we all give each other props and tips and enjoy the comradery associate with driving and modifying fast cars. Hell, I even had fun in the 18 second CAMRY last night, although I liked driving Carlo's WRX better!!!!

-Jim

·
Registered
72 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
AXJ,

Street racing, which is something that I acknowledge and appreciate, but will not partake in, brings about the kind of stupid, childish behavior that we saw in dug's thread.

I find that when I'm at Atco, we all give each other props and tips and enjoy the comradery associate with driving and modifying fast cars. Hell, I even had fun in the 18 second CAMRY last night, although I liked driving Carlo's WRX better!!!!

-Jim
You're just going through WRX withdraw :) Had to get you a "fix" to tied you over! I bet you can't wait to get your ride back again.

Carlo

·
Registered
907 Posts
I personally prefer autox, drag racing was something I did back when I was a teenager. And Street/Freeway racing for me is organized and only with those who are worthy.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Carlo said:
You're just going through WRX withdraw :) Had to get you a "fix" to tied you over! I bet you can't wait to get your ride back again.
Dam straight!!! You can't believe how much I appreciated getting behind the wheel of a real car again, even if it was for only two passes!

-Jim

·
Registered
932 Posts
I think it's more accurate to ascribe that kind of purile behavior to street racing as opposed to racing at a real dragstrip.

Autocrossing, track racing, rally racing, et al, all involve a degree of skill that has to be learned, practiced and cultivated. They also involve competing against others you know are experienced, and take place in controlled settings.

Street racing only involves driving faster than usual down the street. Winning a street race usually imparts the feeling that you have the faster, stronger car. And for some people with fragile egos, the idea of owning the faster carequates to being the faster, stronger, perhaps even more heterosexual :)rolleyes: ) person.

In contrast, in organized competitions, such as autocrosses, I think people in general make a clear distinction between the driver, the level of skill, and motor vehicle. The latter two can change, the car being the easiest to replace or buy. The driver is just any other person on a bus.

·
Registered
42 Posts
bedabi said:
In contrast, in organized competitions, such as autocrosses, I think people in general make a clear distinction between the driver, the level of skill, and motor vehicle.
I agree. I think the key word is "organized". Most street racers I've tried to recruit for autox cannot handle a legal, organized event. I believe they may be afraid that their weaknesses would be exposed. They seem to get more satisfaction with breaking the law and risking life and property than test their driving skills in a controlled environment. In any case I don't think it's drag mentality vs. autox mentality vs. steet racer mentality...it's mature vs. immature like someone already said.

·
2,210 Posts
I recently (two weeks ago) went down to the drag strip for the first time ever. The overall attitude of the racers there (about 500 of them I'm guessing) was very positive. There was no 'layin' the smack down' kind of attitude at all. Everyone is helpful and genuinely interested in your vehicle. When you run a good time, you get congratulated. When you run a bad one, advice is freely given if you ask for it.

I have noted with interest, that there are many people with both stock and modified WRXes that will talk smack regarding how fast their car is, and who they beat on the street, but you never see them going to run at the drag strip (or autoX). I'm guessing it's fear of the likelyhood that their times won't live up to their claimed HP (some people on I-club come to mind). When I ran at Bandimere, I was a second off the pace from where my car should be. I'm not embarrassed - I'm just going to practice so I get better. It will give me a better understanding of the power characteristics of my car and allow me to maximize its capabilities.

Unfortunately some people are very insecure and seem to relate their capabilities in the vehicle to their potential to succeed in life or their merit as a human being.

-Pace

·
2,210 Posts
I ran a 14.5 - about a second slower than Phast was running with similar mods. Next time out I will be at least 0.75s faster - you can quote me on that. :)

Track altitude is 5800ft, and the calculated altitude density for the conditions that night was 16000ft (yes, sixteen thousand). It makes Jay's 13.3s run even more impressive. Another vehicle that runs very similar mods ran a 13.9s pass, and I saw a stock WRX in the 16s. A WRX with just an MBC and a few other minor mods ran a high 14s pass. I think my trap speed was around 95mph.

I lost most of the time to Jay between the 60' and the 330...

-Pace

·
Registered
0 Posts
pace

what were your 60 foot times. ive found 1.8 is is my best and i get good times as long as i get time to cool down. its very humid here (like a swamp):D oh i might as well live in one.:p

·
2,210 Posts
To answer some questions:

Someone else said the effective altitude density of Bandimere usually calculates at around 9000ft ASL, so I may have plugged the wrong numbers in to get 16000ft. However, Phast and Hotrod also came up with similar calculations as me, so maybe the conditions were just rather unfavorable the night we ran. The track altitude is 5800ft and the absolute barometer that night was like 23.xx

The E/Ts varied a lot, but I noted the following:
I saw a Viper GTS run a mid 13s pass. Z-06s were running in the low 14s. There were a couple of DSMs running 12s and 13s. I think I saw one run 11s. Most 'muscle' cars that I paid attention to, both old and new alike, were running 15s, although some of the trailer-queens were running great times.

I didn't see any RSXs or new-gen Celicas. I smoked some guy in a Civic who pulled a 16.5s 85mph pass, while Jay wasted his buddy behind me. This particular guy was giving me a hard time because my R/Ts were around 1.5s. I tried explaining to him that I was ignoring the green and just trying to get a respectable time, but he didn't get it. Anyway, on that run he pulled a 0.6xx R/T and I pulled a 1.4. I passed him somewhere between the 60' and the 330 like he was standing still. :D :D Too funny.

Including myself, I noted runs of at least 5 WRXes. Jay, as you know ran a 13.3 (LINK EMS). Another experienced WRX also with similar mods to me (Unichip EMS) ran a 13.9. A stage-3-ish WRX ran a high 14s pass. A WRX with just an MBC ran a high 14. And finally I saw a stock WRX bog off the line then pull a mid-16s.

With the exception of Jay's 13.3s run, all the WRXes were pulling 60' times of between 1.9 and 2.2 seconds.

Altitude sucks.

-Pace

·
2,210 Posts
Re: pace

jt money said:
what were your 60 foot times. ive found 1.8 is is my best and i get good times as long as i get time to cool down. its very humid here (like a swamp):D oh i might as well live in one.:p
IC heatsoak was definitely a problem. With probably over 500 racers there, we were in the staging lanes for over half an hour for each run.

-Pace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts