ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im going to be tackling putting on the dp this weekend and was just curious on some pointers you guys could give me. anything someone has learned from doing it. not really looking for a how to(although i'll take the info) just looking for some tips. i bought it used so i have no instructions, not even sure they come with any. from what i heard or seen is let the bolts soak with a lube for a few hours/over night, and taking the ic off makes it alot easier. anything else guys?

ohh and for all you "tune" nuts out there yes i already have the tune sitting on my comp ready to flash...

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Use a breaker bar & get some patience.The heatshield is a bigger PITA than the DP.9 bolts in total for the heatshield

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
You have new gaskets on hand, right? You definitely need the one between the turbo and downpipe. The downpipe to catback gasket depends on what brands and configuration you have.

These gaskets are designed for single use only. You might get lucky and not leak if you reused them, but why risk having to do it over again when you can do it right the first time?

Also stock heatshield = spawn of Satan

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Always use new gaskets when taking the exhaust apart. Soak in PB Blaster or Aero Kroil for a while before taking on the nuts, and use 6 point sockets to avoid rounding any of them off. Having a breaker bar on hand is quite nice as well, makes the job go a lot smoother.

Also, research online if your downpipe has caused any problems with rattling or anything, some other small modifications may be in order, and doing it all at once is a lot better than having to get under the car again.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
PB Blaster is your friend. Spraying the bolts a day or two before the install is a good idea, in addition to install day. On install day, spray every accessible bolt liberally, then go make yourself a sandwich while you wait for it to soak in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, yea i bought the grimmspeed gasket and cobb heat shield, should be here tom. bolting up to the stock exhaust and the car only has 5000 miles on it, the stock donut gasket should be good right? didnt realize the heat shield was that many bolts, holy crap talk bout over kill...

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
plasmarex12 said:
bolting up to the stock exhaust and the car only has 5000 miles on it, the stock donut gasket should be good right?
Unless your donut gasket is beat up, you should be fine reusing that. At 5K miles, this shouldn't be an issue.

If your downpipe is a 3" flat flange, the stock donut gasket won't work. What you'll need is an adapter like this:
GrimmSpeed 3in Downpipe to Stock Cat-Back Adapter Subaru Turbo Models at RallySportDirect.com

If it tapers down to 2.5" (e.g., Cobb), the donut gasket is sufficient.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will wd40 work or should i get some pb blaster? also i have 6 point in 3/8 drive but not 1/2, you guys know what size the bolts are so i can go buy one

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Not all the heatshield bolts are accessed from the top.If I remember correctly 2 are to be removed from under the car.

Make sure the Cobb Heatshield fits without cutting.I'm not entirely sure about this.I got the Grimmspeed heatshield.

The donut gasket costs $25 at your dealer.

Bolt size,if I remember correctly is 14mm.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its the cobb, bolts right up correct?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its a cobb dp so the cobb shield should work i would think, the nearest dealer is 40 mins from me so i'll take my chances and re-use it. worst case s. is it leaks and i need a new one. at leas that would be an easy fix. you guys are responding faster than i can read lol, thanks for the help though

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
WD40 might work, but PB is better at penetrating. WD is typically to lube up what already moves, PB and Aero Kroil are made to unstick things.

If I remember right, they're 14mm. OH! And remember you need a socket to remove the O2 sensor from the stock downpipe and to install it in the new one. You can rent the socket set from local parts stores, typically.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also heard its tricky putting the ic back on anything on that?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright i'll go buy some pb, oh **** i forgot bout that, i have one though at my moms house in my other tool box. just have to member to grab it.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
plasmarex12 said:
its the cobb, bolts right up correct?
It should.

plasmarex12 said:
will wd40 work or should i get some pb blaster? also i have 6 point in 3/8 drive but not 1/2, you guys know what size the bolts are so i can go buy one
No, you want PB Blaster (or some kind of penetrating fluid).

Just buy a metric 1/2" socket set; it's cheap enough. You'll need a wrench as well; 14mm sounds right.

My O2 socket was $5 from Harbor Freight, if you don't have one.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Not all the heatshield bolts are accessed from the top.If I remember correctly 2 are to be removed from under the car.
Not sure about the 08+ cars, but all of heatshield bolts on my '03 were accessible from the top (sorta). My knuckles were pretty banged up, but I found it was easier to use a long-handled ratchet fished down from the top for the bolts facing the driver's right side of the car. Actually, the other bolts weren't too bad, but those two on the side were HORRIBLE. At least the Cobb heatshield only reused 3 or 4 bolts, so it was much easier.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sweet thanks for the instructions

1 - 20 of 42 Posts