ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to get a tbe pretty soon, and I really like the sound of Cobb's. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it tapers down to 2 1/4 inches. I just have a feeling that this isn't as efficient as a full 3 inches all the way through. Does anyone know for sure that this is true or not? Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You should be good as long as its a slow taper and not a 2.25" flange bolted to a 3" flange. That would disrupt the flow. Heck if it was a nice long taper (reverse megaphone) it might even speed up the exhaust gases and help you out.

---Joe---

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
the 3 inch to 2 1/4 inch taper will reduce flow a lot less than the cat will.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you really do want the full Cobb tbe I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you have plans for more modifications (over 300whp) down the road.

Also, I've read somewhere that Cobb is releasing a 3 inch flat flange down pipe and cbe. Not sure how true it is.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about a taper. You may lose a bit of throttle response and power, but if you like the Cobb CBE sound best, choose sound > performance.

I would say a catalytic converter will be more of a hindrance than the taper.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
from what ive heard the taper isnt anything to worry about

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
This taper is killing me!! :p

Okay, kidding aside, I have the Cobb TBE. Trust me, that taper is not restricting anything when it comes to reaching any power goals that the stock turbo can give you. I'd be more concerned with that catted uppipe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help, guys! Guess I'm gonna stick with Cobb.

Oh, and I just realized that Wussola started a thread similar to this just a few days ago. I hate when noobs like me ask questions that are already answered on here. My bad.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, I switched to a catless uppipe as soon as i found out they could ruin the turbo. No more worrying about that.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Oh yeah, I switched to a catless uppipe as soon as i found out they could ruin the turbo. No more worrying about that.
Ah, cool. Did you just add that to your profile? Or did I miss it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool...just making sure I hadn't lost the last remaining marble.
Haha nope.

One last thing... Are you pretty happy with the sound you're getting from the Cobb tbe? I really like that it's not loud and obnoxious, but i don't want it to be tooooo quiet. I don't want to have to mash the gas just to notice it. Otherwise, I'd just buy the dp.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Haha nope.

One last thing... Are you pretty happy with the sound you're getting from the Cobb tbe? I really like that it's not loud and obnoxious, but i don't want it to be tooooo quiet. I don't want to have to mash the gas just to notice it. Otherwise, I'd just buy the dp.
It's plenty loud for me...and too loud for my spouse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts