Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and haven't found quite what I'm looking for...

I'm in the market for a turbo-back exhaust. I'm settled on the Prodrive muffler, but I'm not too sure what downpipe to get. My main concern is that I do not want my car to stink. I have a JDM STi catless upipe waiting to be intstalled.

Removing the 2nd and 3rd cats will make the car smell bad, right?

How about the TXS stealthback with high flow cat? Does the high flow cat eliminate the smell?

If all else fails, I may just leave the third cat in and get a downpipe that bolts up to it like the Bosal, ScoobySport, Stromung, etc. A setup like this won't smell, would it?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yes, if you are catless it will smell. Having one cat will be fine though, you shouldn't notice any difference over having 2 cats. I ran catless for about 2 months and I was worried about the smell sometimes, but the power was nice. Eventually I took out the DP because of a leak and now only have the stock dp cat in, and I don't notice any smell any more. You should be fine with the catted stealth back.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If you are stopped for a while, yes it will smell in the cabin, but not that much.

It does smell from behind. I rarely smell my exhaust and i'm catless.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You shouldn't smell anything in the cabin unless you have the windows down.
It doesn't smell bad anyway just rich.
It's not like you'll be cruising everywhere smelling like A$$.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yeah with your windows up you shouldn't smell anything, and with them down you will only smell it if you are downwind of the exhaust and stopped for more then 5 seconds. But the people behind you will deffinetly notice if you get on it, I had a friend follow me and they commented on the smell, fyi.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Id say go with the turboxs stealthback.

Just a quick question to everybody, does going catless smell enough to want to go catted again or is it just like driving a muscle car.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I personally have a strong aversion to going completely catless. I've followed behind plenty of offensively smelly cars (usually due to delapidation and not performance). I don't like it when that happens to me and I don't want to do that to others...simple.

my vote goes to the hi-flo cat option.

dan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
no cats. minor smell only at idle with windows open. Smells like a 1960's car.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If I didn't have to worry about being pulled over, I would go catless in a heart beat

·
Registered
878 Posts
I love the smell as well. It is noticible sometimes, but most of the time you can't even tell.

When my friends driving behind me, and I floor it, they always comment about frequent flames and strong exhaust smells :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QuickSilver said:
I personally have a strong aversion to going completely catless. I've followed behind plenty of offensively smelly cars (usually due to delapidation and not performance). I don't like it when that happens to me and I don't want to do that to others...simple.

my vote goes to the hi-flo cat option.

dan.
I think this statement sums it up pretty well. And if it means sacrificing a few extra ponies, so be it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
SupraToWRX said:
I think this statement sums it up pretty well. And if it means sacrificing a few extra ponies, so be it.
I think the following statement sums up my side of the story:

-- Screw 'em.

I'll take all the power I can get :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
hahaha

mine smelled pretty bad in the cabin for the first 3-4 weeks...then the smell kinda went away. i know a friend of mien followed me for 90 miles with his AC on in the fresh air mode and said to me..playing follow the leader with VJ doesnt work..smells like ass in my car.

VJ

·
Registered
160 Posts
ive noticed a little smell when starting up, and immediatly after some WOT runs. My last cat is definetly not happy... it rattles at low rpms, and ticks forever after shutting the car off... Im thinkin of puttin her out of her misery when the bosal catback gets here

·
Registered
57 Posts
ryland said:
I love the smell as well. It is noticible sometimes, but most of the time you can't even tell.

When my friends driving behind me, and I floor it, they always comment about frequent flames and strong exhaust smells :)

lol me too my friends are jealous of my flames ever since i put my ngk iridiums in i cant shoot flames anymore guess there that good at doing there job

1 - 20 of 20 Posts