ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
im going to be looking into buying a downpipe and i was wondering if their is actually a sound difference between different downpipes ( High flow Catted downpipes)? or if it really only matters what catback you have.

Thanks Tom

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Catbacks are what control the sound of the exhaust. Downpipes may change the pitch a bit, but it's the catback that is responsible for the overall sound.

So short answer, no.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Catbacks are what control the sound of the exhaust. Downpipes may change the pitch a bit, but it's the catback that is responsible for the overall sound.

So short answer, no.
Pretty much this. You would notice a difference in sound if you already have a catback and then put on a down pipe. Other than that, you shouldn't notice too much of a change.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Catless downpipe will make the exhaust raspier / turbo spool louder than a catted alternative.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
I've only ever done downpipe on my previous cars, never touched a catback, and I always noticed a change in the tone. It didn't make it hardly any louder, but the sound did change. Now, that was a GTP and a RSX-S, not WRXs.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
right now i have a catback twin tip on. ill record the sound from that then when i do the uppipe and downpipe install then take another video and post how the sound pitch changes

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I've only ever done downpipe on my previous cars, never touched a catback, and I always noticed a change in the tone. It didn't make it hardly any louder, but the sound did change.
This. I've run downpipe+stock catback on many occasions (doing it right now, actually), and it makes the exhaust tone louder, and much more raw. Lots of pops, burbles, etc, plus I can really hear my spool up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts