Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've had my WRX now for about two months and am now becoming obsessed with the idea of modding it:D I have read ALOT on this forum about the different types of exhaust mods. I am going to be heading back to college in less than a month and am wondering what exhaust mod I should do.
I'm aware that an uppipe is an awesome power and turbo spool increaser, but since I will be doing this mod by myself and with some of my more informed car friends, I wont be able to do the uppipe. (You don't need to try to convince me to put in an uppipe either because I need a mod that I can take out if I need to go to my Anti-mod local Subaru dealer.
Anyways, I'll wrap this up and say that my budget is college-like :( and I can only afford maybe up to $200 for an exhaust piece. Any suggestions on what pipe to replace would help alot!
I don't need anything loud, just something with good power, and one that might remind me more of the deeper-type V8 grumble I am used to hearing from in my upbringing.
Thanks for any help and I hope to get more involved in this club as the months come:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here's a downpipe that won't break the bank and will increase performance. But it won't change the sound of the car. Only changing the muffler will do that.

http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/uppipedownpipe/hks_downpipe.htm

I'm not recommending this dealer, but just giving you an idea of what is available. You will need a mil eliminator to get rid of the CEL this will produce.

If you want the sound, then definitely get catback/axle back system. Not much available for $200 however. You're going to have to spend more for that.

BTW, why not do the uppipe? It isn't as hard as you make it sound. You just have to have the right tools. And you can change it back if you need to take it in. Or not, depending on what you're taking it in for.

Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot guys for the quick replys:D

I thought that a Downpipe would still change the sound a little. But if it doesn't that would actually be great! Since I am, well, sort of still financially reliant of my parents on getting through college.:rolleyes: , I told my dad I wouldn't spend any money on making my car any faster.

Thus, if a downpipe wouldn't sound any different with the stock muffler that would be sweet (is there really not much of a change at all though? could I not hear a sound change from inside the cabin?

Also, I might consider an uppipe, but I heard you have to mess with lifting the engine and the turbo? Would the uppipe sound much different with the stock muffler?

Again, thanks guys for the help! I know I sound maybe a little too grateful, but the more I get into learning about my car the more fun this whole WRX thing gets
P.S. my last car was a 1989 Ford Taurus (130 HP) myabe that explains a little:rolleyes:

·
Registered
175 Posts
PlatNmRex said:
Thus, if a downpipe wouldn't sound any different with the stock muffler that would be sweet (is there really not much of a change at all though? could I not hear a sound change from inside the cabin?
Inside the cabin, you will hear the turbo more. With the stock exhaust, you aren't going to get much, if any, change in the exhaust note. That muffler is not straight through and very dampened.

PlatNmRex said:
Also, I might consider an uppipe, but I heard you have to mess with lifting the engine and the turbo? Would the uppipe sound much different with the stock muffler?
You don't have to do anything to the turbo except take off the heatshield to get the the downpipe and uppipe bolts. That reminds me, if you're going to do the downpipe, might as well go a little further and do the uppipe since you have to take off the down to do the up anyway.

I lifted the engine. It's no big deal. Just remove the right engine mount and use the floor jack to move it up about 2 in. Some people claim you don't even have to do this if you take the o2 sensor out first.

I did the uppipe by myself in about 6 hours. I only had my wife come out and hold the uppipe while I threaded the top bolts. I didn't have any problems with seized bolts. I only had about 10k on my car.

You might notice the uppipe in the cabin, as you might get more turbo whine. But you won't notice it in the exhaust sound with the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts