Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heys,

Just bought a VF22 (thanks pace! :)), and am wondering what diameter downpipe i should go with. Orrigionaly, I was planning on getting a VF30 and leaving the exhaust system stock and seeing how that works out (wanna be quiet...sleeper). But with the VF22, I know im gonna need to give the turbocharger as much help spooling as possible.

Would 4" work?

Pls, keep in mind, im planning to keep the midpipe and end stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you want to replace both cats but keep the stock catback you would want to make sure the downpipe it 3 inches at the back end. The stock catback flares to 3 inches to fit over a gasket in the stock catpipe. This lets you mate up a 3 inch downpipe.

I have a godspeed downpipe with the stock catback. This gets me catless but keeps that sleeper look. The tone is nicer without the cats but still sounds stock.

With the stock catback I think 4 inches would be a total waste. I'd just look for a 3 inch bellmouth.

·
Registered
249 Posts
While I can understand the desire to be stealth and quiet, you are seriously restricting the power of a VF22 by staying with the stock rear section. A 4 inch downpipe is great (I have one :)) but it really is designed to work in conjunction with a much more free flowing exhaust. At this level of modification, you need to sacrifice some noise levels for performance, it really is a must. Now, on that note, there are so many mufflers that really are just barely louder than stock, but sound nicer. Get a Prodrive or Greddy EVO and you'll be extremely happy with the muted yet powerful sound. You won't have to deal with droning on the highway, but you won't be giving up power that you shouldn't be!

The VF22 is a great turbo, but it needs supporting mods to be effective!

Now if you need any help with the install etc. let me know, I remember it well :D Actually, it's really not that hard haha, you'll be fine! Good luck and enjoy it, it's a massive difference over stock. You'll instantly feel giddy when you floor it in second and hit the limiter cause the car was still pulling harder and harder!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

I will definitely look into a quieter muffler. The cat-back i have now is just way too loud, and ive gotten sick of the little backfires, etc.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Understood for sure! I am also a crazy-ass 21 year old college student, so the parties I go to make my TXS muffler sound like whispers in a library! I def think Prodrive would be perfect for you :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm not shure about the 22 but my 29 was getting bad boost creep after I added the vishnu signature series exhaust (3"). I had to remove my turbo and port the wastegate. I there is a big thread on nabisco about this. Just a heads up for you.

[email protected]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Schaf100 said:
While I can understand the desire to be stealth and quiet, you are seriously restricting the power of a VF22 by staying with the stock rear section. A 4 inch downpipe is great (I have one :)) but it really is designed to work in conjunction with a much more free flowing exhaust. At this level of modification, you need to sacrifice some noise levels for performance, it really is a must. Now, on that note, there are so many mufflers that really are just barely louder than stock, but sound nicer. Get a Prodrive or Greddy EVO and you'll be extremely happy with the muted yet powerful sound. You won't have to deal with droning on the highway, but you won't be giving up power that you shouldn't be!

The VF22 is a great turbo, but it needs supporting mods to be effective!

Now if you need any help with the install etc. let me know, I remember it well :D Actually, it's really not that hard haha, you'll be fine! Good luck and enjoy it, it's a massive difference over stock. You'll instantly feel giddy when you floor it in second and hit the limiter cause the car was still pulling harder and harder!
Dude, can you help me installing stuff? I can drive to UMBC if you want. Let me know dude.
-soul

·
Registered
249 Posts
Soul:

Tried to PM ya, but your mailbox was full!

Anyways, what I was saying, is that I would definitely help you out, but I'm in California right now, and I'm gonna be there all summer! I think there are a bunch of cool ppl in MD who might be able to give you a hand though. Dug-e-fresh, for example, has done a turbo install and may be able to give you a hand.

If you have any specific questions, or just want tips, let me know, I'd be more than happy to send info etc on how to do the installs. To put you at ease, nothing's really all that hard. WRX was the first car I've worked on, and I've done it all by myself. I'm an Internation Relations major at Johns Hopkins so it's not like I'm some engineering genius either haha.

Well, good luck, and try to talk to Dug, I think he might be the ticket.

-Michael

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies :)

Im probably going to go with a 3" Bellmouth downpipe. Before reading this, I never ever heard of a bellmouth.

I am working with a great shop 15 mininutes from my house that specialize in turbo cars and custom exhausts (they also have a 4wheel dyno :)). But since they will have to make an exhaust not based on the orriginal design, do you think they will be able to do it?

The only thing thats sux is the tuning. I have a vishnu unichip. I'll have to drive to the nearest place (1.5 hrs away) to have my chip re-flashed :/.

Should I just scrap my unichip, and have the shop tune my car with the stock ECU? (please excuse my naïveté...some of this stuff I really have NO idea about. im just starting)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts