Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
so I have two questions for you all today.

1. When my car is moving very slowly (parking) and I turn the wheel, the car shudders a little bit. The car is dying just seems like the rack is shaking. Is this a dying steering rack? or dying power steering pump? Maybe in need of a fluid change lol? I know my power steering system leaks a tad but it just keeps itself saturated, I've checked the fluid and added a little but there is nominal change in level.

2. Would it be possible to wire another two PIAA fog lights into the existing fog light circuit or would that be too much load on the system?

Cheers :)

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,460 Posts
1. When my car is moving very slowly (parking) and I turn the wheel, the car shudders a little bit. The car is dying just seems like the rack is shaking. Is this a dying steering rack? or dying power steering pump?
If there are no wild animal noises it'd be unusual but not impossible to have a fault in the system. Or, it's simply your idle falling as the vacuum levels change when you put load on the engine at idle revs. Are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak in the engine? Another option is air in the PS system.

Maybe in need of a fluid change lol?
There is no service interval for the fluid. It is unclear that Subaru ever intended the fluid to be changed; see the owner's manual. The fluid is listed as extant, or not; if it's not there, the system has a fault apparently.

I know my power steering system leaks a tad but it just keeps itself saturated,
I don't know what this means. If an area is saturated with fluid, you've got a significant leak. Fix it.

2. Would it be possible to wire another two PIAA fog lights into the existing fog light circuit or would that be too much load on the system?
The brand isn't relevant but the current draw is. I'd use an external relay setup and simply use the existing switch as a trigger. I also don't see a clear utility for more than two fog lights, so if needed I'd remove the existing lights and replace them with something better instead.

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there are no wild animal noises it'd be unusual but not impossible to have a fault in the system. Or, it's simply your idle falling as the vacuum levels change when you put load on the engine at idle revs. Are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak in the engine? Another option is air in the PS system.

I don't know what this means. If an area is saturated with fluid, you've got a significant leak. Fix it.
Yes I've been meaning to address the leak soon. Just a little drop seeps off the line underneath the car. In regards to falling RPM, I can tell when the idle is falling but this is different, the actually rack/steering column seemingly shakes. I'll check for a vacuum leak in the engine bay. If there happens to be air in the PS system, how would I go about burping that?

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,460 Posts
Air in the system means a leak or a recent fluid change or both. To burp, lift the nose and turn the wheel end to end repeatedly but SAFELY.

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Air in the system means a leak or a recent fluid change or both. To burp, lift the nose and turn the wheel end to end repeatedly but SAFELY.
Ok I'll check out the leak and then try burping the system along with my oil change this weekend.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

· Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: So I did try to burp the power steering system when I did my oil change. I had the car jacked up in the front and running, then I turned the wheel back and forth a bunch of times. I have yet to experience the shudder again but I haven't driven it enough to really determine if it fixed the problem.
On a related note, I took my car by a local shop called GKM auto. It's a really awesome shop, real professional guys you can definitely tell they care about cars. The owner and main mechanic grew up racing cars in turkey and he has built some ludicrous machines. He told me to bring the car in for him to check it out once he heard I had a WRX. He looked over it and drove it and determined that my trans and motor mounts are bad. Thus, they are allowing for the drive train to shift and cause the shudder when turning. Does that seem like a probable culprit?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.