Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's very hard to resist doing donuts when I see an open parking lot full of snow but I've heard that donuts and drifting in the snow are bad for the tires. Is messing around in the snow bad for the tires? If it is how much damage is done to the tires?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have heard that before to and i do it all the time. It is just to hard to resist it. My friend lost his power steering in his S4 doing doughnuts in a parking lot. Thank god it was still under warranty otherwise he would have been paying a hefty bill.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I would worry a lot less about the tires and more about the power steering. Keeping it at full lock for more than a few seconds is really taking a chance. More than one person has posted about power steering failure due to donuts.

-joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
NJwrbT-WRX said:
I would worry a lot less about the tires and more about the power steering. Keeping it at full lock for more than a few seconds is really taking a chance. More than one person has posted about power steering failure due to donuts.

-joe
would you mind explaining that? full lock? im dumb help me out, details please :confused1 :) ;)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
dont have the steering wheel turned all the way in either direction for too long--thats what full lock is. i play in the snow whenever i can and i really dont think it can be too bad for the car. once you initiate a slide/donut just straighten out your steering wheel somewhat so its not locked. you'll be able to use your throttle to oversteer and you wont burn out your power steering.
a little story from last year on this subject... my friend burned out his power steering from doing donuts, which is how i found out not do do that. he didnt get it fixed right away and the next week he was driving pretty quick around a turn and because of the power steering being out he couldnt turn the wheel enough fast enough and started to go wide across the middle line. the line had all kinds of rocks/sand from when it snowed and his car ended up flying off the side of the road and getting totalled. he came out of it alright, and bought a new WRX, which is now probably has the fastest WRX in Colorado, so things could be worse.
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
yeah, with the lack of grip you have already, playing in the snow shouldnt really be putting much stress on anything really.

Cam-
his name is Pat... WhiteWorx on COSR or HAI or CRN (one of those, or all of them, i dunno).

o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
595 Posts
So thats why my dad always told me to not turn the wheel all the way to the stop!!!

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
I think if the car is slidding on snow/ice the tires will have no problem. The sidewall is ment to flex and as long as you dont hit traction your ok. My fear would be catching traction in the middle. It's like taking a two gears spinning them really fast...and then tossing a big steel rod betten then...not pretty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts