ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wonderin. What mods can i do without voiding my warranty. Do i have to ask my dealer? I dont want to do much as i am on a limited budget, but i definitely want my car to go faster than stock.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know. that pisses me off. i dont want to void my warranty for at least a year. and i did do a search

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Different dealers have different opinions. Asking your selling dealer for thier opinion is certianly a good starting point. Engine performance modifications are frowned upon by most Subaru dealers.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i might be able to get my dealer to bend a lil. she was pretty lenient when it came to buying. im guessing a boost controller fits into the section of engine mods. thats the one thing i wanted :mad:

·
Registered
901 Posts
dont worry about warrnaty.. just friggin mod the hell outta your car.... then if something bad hapens.. keep stock peices... you can not mod a wrx and keep warranty if you want mad power and handling. .etc..

mark

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Do things that are either undetectable by the dealer, or quickly reversible. Cobb's reflash makes a nice difference, and the dealer won't know the difference. Also much safer than an MBC. A turboback isn't that hard to take out if you need to take it in, either.

I'm out of warranty, anyway, so I don't care anymore...:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Start with intake silencer removal - voids warranty but can be put on very fast.

also think about some SPT parts from subaru, most of them dont void your warranty. So talk to your dealer/service manager and see what they say.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
blahblah said:
I was just wonderin. What mods can i do without voiding my warranty. Do i have to ask my dealer? I dont want to do much as i am on a limited budget, but i definitely want my car to go faster than stock.
its all depends on your sevice manager. where in chicago land did you buy the car?

my dealer where i bought my car said that they are not backed up by other dealerships like most are. they independent so they treat their customers very well supposedly. when i bought the car there were 2 wrx's getting warranty work done and they had mods. i talked with the service manager, (who drives a modded STI, btw) and he told me as long as the mod didnt DIRECTLY cause the problem i could do anything i want to the car. i told him i was going to do basic exhaust work, boost controller/reflash, and some handling stuff and he encouraged it.... even talked with him about good parts to buy for the price...

i guess we'll see just how cool he is about it when my car needs to be brought in :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
i went to my subaur dealer[Metric Subaru] and i asked them if i can put an entire stage 4 system into my car, i listed the components, and they said if they put them in that it would b covered under the warrenty. Metric Rules!!:wiggles:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got mine from the dealer in Highland park. On 41. I saw a STI with a non-stock cat-back as i was leaving. i will take that as a good sign

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
a dealer cannot simply void your warranty unless they can prove the mods you've done had a direct relation to the problem with the car. I don't care what dealer it is or who they think they are, it's that simple.

if you plan to do some big mods, then you should definatly be aware of the problems that can arise.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Re: Re: Dont want to void my warranty

DTR maxima said:
its all depends on your sevice manager. where in chicago land did you buy the car?

my dealer where i bought my car said that they are not backed up by other dealerships like most are. they independent so they treat their customers very well supposedly. when i bought the car there were 2 wrx's getting warranty work done and they had mods. i talked with the service manager, (who drives a modded STI, btw) and he told me as long as the mod didnt DIRECTLY cause the problem i could do anything i want to the car. i told him i was going to do basic exhaust work, boost controller/reflash, and some handling stuff and he encouraged it.... even talked with him about good parts to buy for the price...

i guess we'll see just how cool he is about it when my car needs to be brought in :)
what dealer is this?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Most dealers are not going to pay much attention to your mods when it comes to warranty work UNLESS you come into the service department with a major problem. Then SOA gets involved and SOA has the power to decide to provide warranty coverage for the work or or not. Major problems include blown engines (likely outcome from an MBC) and transmissions.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about just something like a cat-back (lets say i somehow lose my stock exhaust and go in with a cat-back on) Im guessing guages will not void the warranty unless they are really crappily wired or something. Im also guessing that visual-wheels, body kits, or for cheaper people like me, lowering springs-will not void the warranty:confused:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just took a look at the stage 1 and 2 upgrades from cobb. I would think that i could get a stage 1 from cobb without voiding my warranty because they are a pretty reliable and well known source. If anyone has a stage 1 or 2, and has dealt with a dealer while driving with it, post something up for me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW i would probably only get a stage 1. Still my dad's car legally.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
it doesnt matter how reliable of a car part it is to them. its their money being spent to fix your car, so SOA seems to go out of their way to screw people.

BOTTOM LINE: if your mod caused the problem, then forget it... there next to zero chance that they will cover it... if you mod didnt cause it, they will try to blame it on your mod and tell you that the extra back pressure from your catback caused the turbo to blow and other sh!t like that.

my best advice is to keep it simple... thats what i am doing... my dealership is cool about mods, but i still dont want to do too much in case a mod DOES cause a problem... i have an extended warranty with all the goodies... which why i have only done full catless exhause so far.

start off with a catback. if something goes wrong you can always change it back to stock within an hour. and there is very little they can blame on a catback... then move to DP, UP and maybe a cobb reflash (this is what i will probably do) they cant even detect the reflash and you will be running more boost...

just remember, keep it simple

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
647 Posts
^^ i know how that goes, the car is in my dads name, so its ultimitly his call, but i am the one making the payments, so its kind of like a trade off. But i think i am staying away from the mods for a while, maybe a accessport sometime in the next few months.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
DTR maxima said:
start off with a catback. if something goes wrong you can always change it back to stock within an hour. and there is very little they can blame on a catback... then move to DP, UP and maybe a cobb reflash (this is what i will probably do) they can even detect the reflash and you will be running more boost...
Where did you hear that they can detect a reflash? I've always heard the opposite.

Anyway, buy an AccessPort, then flash it to stock if you need dealer service. No biggie...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts