ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a pic for my Peugeot 106 GTI that I sold about 6 months ago to come and live in the US, now have a 2003 WRX, The GTI is a 1600cc engine DOHC, 120 BHP could do 0-60 in about 7.5 or less, top out at 138 MPH and could easily do 70 MPH in second at 7800 RPM. Could keep up with my friends 97 Impreza WRX Turbo, what do you think even tho my new WRX Kicks Ass ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Center Exhuast

Here is pic of the Twin DTM Exhaust that you could here from half a mile away at full RPM.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,003 Posts
The Peugeot has IMO steering that is truly world-class. No relation to Honda Civic - drive a VTEC Civic the same way you drive a 106GTI and you will end up backwards in a ditch.

The Pug's is a terrific motor, pulls well from 2.5K all the way to red. The chassis in the 106 is better than its predecessors of the 205 range, as it's stiffer and doesn't require the usual reinforcements to allow the car to turn well.

If you can drive one some time, I'd recommend it. Very good handling, very nimble, decent braking. You'll learn quickly to brake as little as possible to keep speed and revs up, and the car in the right hands can literally humiliate much more costly cars in the 2.0L class - and above if you are facing someone clueless.

My main criticisms are the interior (looser than the Impreza, so you can imagine) and the increased cost compared to the 106Rallye, even with the added A/C that's standard on the GTI and optional (if that) on the Rallye.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Fun

In this car I could easily beat the Vauxhall Vectra SRI 2.5 no problem around the country lanes in england, I loved this car and wish I could bring it here but maybe in a few years I might import a 106 S16 which is the same engine but with 150 BHP from france does anyone know if I could do this or will it not reach the safety standards here in the US ?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,003 Posts
More trouble than it's worth IMO. Even if you do get it legal for road use (big "IF" there) you will have issues getting any spares at all, as Peugeot gave up in the early 90s in the US, and you will also have issues insuring it etc.

EDIT: There are some older 405Mi16s running around, and I remember a single grey 205GTi ten years or more ago in a showroom in Santa Monica. Other than that, there was a 205T16 GrB road car on display at last year's Monterey (I think).

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I've tried to rent one of those every time I've been to Europe in the last few years, just to see how it handles and drives. No luck, so far! I like the looks of some of the newer Peugeots over there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts