ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before you start preaching search buttons i have been searching for about the last 2 hours of reading and still have questions. I just bought my wrx today so bare with me.

As of now my wrx is stock. I want it to remain reliable i dont want to run super lean, especially up in CO at altitude.

I have a turbo-charged car and i want to hear it. No cool sounds like that out of the vette just plain power (not that its not cool, just different).

Basically i just want to know what i can do to improve, the "turbo sound" (spooling, bypass, bov, etc. whatever you want to call it).

In the FAQ on wrxforum i read that CAIs do nothing for power, i dont really mind i have the vette for that. Will they improve the sound without compromising the reliabilty. Can the ECU adjust? It seems like most ppl are saying that the APS is the best...an opinions about the brands: APS, Typhoon K&N or the AEM. I plan on taking the silencer thing out cause everyone seems to agree it helps with the sound. If all i want is sound and reliability can i do the CAIany brands that are basically the same diameter and everything as the stock setup with improved sound? Lastly, what is the difference between the Short Ram and the Complete Cold Air Intake. Sorry but im just starting out with the whole modding and tuning aspect of cars.

While im at it...does uppipe, downpipe and exhaust affect reliability on wrxs. With my experience it seems like exhaust doesnt affect it but i dont know much about uppipes and downpipes as i am new to the turbo.

I want to know what i can do to aid performance and sound without affecting reliablility so if the answer is to leave it stock than so be it but if there is something out there that doesnt do much harm i would like to hear about it.

Also what is the COBB that everyone talks about. Is it a big show, or a manufacturing company, or a tuner or all these things... all the threads seem to talk about it. This accessport thing, how does it work, is it a chip or what it just plugs into some port and when you take the car to the dealer you take it out, im confused?

Thanks Everyone
Yogi "taking delivery on the car tomorrow" REX

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome to the board and congrats on your purchase!

A very popular mod for getting more sound out of your engine is taking off the intake silencer. Basically this allows you to keep your stock airbox while making the spooling of the turbo and bov more audible. Here's a link to a thread that might be helpful http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18383&highlight=silencer+hack

As for the difference between a cold air intake and a short ram intake, a cold air intake extends into the fender to pull in cold air. In a short ram intake the filter sits in the engine compartment and is pulling in whatever air is available from the engine compartment.

COBB is a tuning company that makes performance parts for our cars. You can visit them at www.cobbtuning.com Accessport is one of their ecu products. It is a handheld that allows you to load tuned maps into your ecu. There's more info on their website.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
youre pretty much right on with your guesses.

i have the APS CAI and have had no problems. Im also running the COBB AP (its engine management and the easiest to use on the market)

replacing UP & DP will nto affect the reliability of your car one bit. just make sure you get SS pipes since youre in CO.

do the silencer delete, intake is up to you but i dont recommend anything other than the APS, and go for teh UP & DP and the Cobb AP...youll really love the extra 55 HP :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
i agree with the shortram making the most change in noise. I never had the silencer on my car so i cant tell what kind of difference it makes, but you can always try that and if its not what you want the go with the short ram

the only problem with messing with the exhaust (specifically up and dp) are leaks. But if you do it right then its great, both make the turbo spool louder. You shluld look into what Gusto said, get the up dp and Accessport Stage 2 from Cobb, youll love it

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
easiest way to hear the turbo more for free is to take out the plug in the firewall underneath the brake pedal. If you're going to be mounting a subwoofer or whatnot, that plug will have to be removed anyways.

Keep a piece of Dynamat handy if it's raining or snowing though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts