ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.... Ive finally gotten around to doing an exhaust, uppipe and AccessPort on my 04 WRX. I have the TurboXS TBE... ive read how important it is to use pb blaster on the heat shield bolts. any other info i should be aware of? I have at least one friend helping me out, possibly another. any info at all would be great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You've got the PB Blaster part right... soak that mother. Another good thing to have is a breaker bar for the turbo bolts. If you dont have one, then a wrench with a long metal pipe on the end should work. I almost gave up on mine, and then went with the wrench+pipe approach and it came off no problem.

Oh, and dont get scared if you hear cracking/creaking sounds coming from the bolts. Good Luck!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I hope you have all new gaskets as well:

*Downpipe to Turbo
*Turbo to Uppipe
*Uppipe to header manifold
*Possibly headers to block gaskets, depending on how do the uppipe swap.
*Maybe catback donut gasket, but I believe your TBE comes with a new one.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the tbe didnt come with a turbo to downpipe gasket for some reason but my buddy has gasket material he used on his Z so were good there... yea the uppipe came with gaskets for both ends.. these are my first real mods on the car aside from the SPT intake. we'll see how she goes

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
the tbe didnt come with a turbo to downpipe gasket for some reason but my buddy has gasket material he used on his Z so were good there... yea the uppipe came with gaskets for both ends.. these are my first real mods on the car aside from the SPT intake. we'll see how she goes
I'd suggest getting a grimmspeed gasket for the downpipe connection. It is prone to leaking. I know mine does sometimes even if I use a new gasket just due to not torquing it down quite perfectly evenly.

As others have said - PB blaster and a breaker bar (I have a cheapo 1' one for hard to get places, and a 3' harbor freight bad boy for harder to get ones) are good buys. Sometimes putting a socket over a bolt that you sprayed with pb blaster and tapping it fairly hard with a hammer a couple times works well.

I would not be surprised if you had to drill out a few bolts and replace them. Exhaust hardware gets beat up pretty quickly.

Good luck! Hopefully the install goes well!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts