Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got just over 500 miles on the WRX and notice when just going through a parking lot or driving slow in second it whines kinda like reverse only quieter. Coming from a Jeep it's no where near as loud as it, but I thought since the WRX is all wheel drive maybe it contributes to some of the whining too or maybe it's a second gear thing. FYI - it seems to be only on decel too.

Thanks,
Eric

·
433 Posts
Take your foot off the accelerator at 40mph in 2nd gear sounds HORRIBLE. It sounds like the car is falling apart.

·
Registered
109 Posts
yeah my car has whined in second gear sice I got it, not sure but I think its pretty normal, the all wheel drive makes it a bit louder then most cars from what I hear

·
Registered
66 Posts
i've never driven a car that whined louder than the WRX...my vr4 never whined!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I notice it in first and second...just about anytime the car is slowly accelerating. Same mileage here, a little over 400.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm thinking that maybe 1st and 2nd gear have a different cut on the gears to hold more power, which would make them louder. Its just a thought.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That would make sense... If a dog-box whines really loud because the gears are straight cut, then having 2nd cut closer to that would cause that whiny noise we keep hearing... Or maybe that's your girlfriend? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Its just a loud tanny, relax guys!!! :)

Mine whines like crazy, has since day one until today, 30K+ miles.

-joe

·
Banned
48 Posts
and there is def. a decelleration noise. when you are slowing down while the car is in gear.

but the best noise is the turbo spooling up... oh god, it's addicting i tell ya.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have noticed a similar deal with mine- mostly in first though. ....ALSO- reverse whines so much it scared the bejesus out of me when i first got the car; i dunno what the system subaru put in there to change the direction the wheels go but it must have been an off-night in the design plant. It should NOT take that many gears to do that! lol

AWD cars are noisy....wait lemme fix that; TRUE awd cars are noisy; they are DESIGNED as all wheel drive cars and the power train is buisier than a one armed piano player. (the "Add on" awd systems are a frickin joke- ala volvo, vw, etc. "JUST strap another axle on, sven!") Jeeps are noisey; trucks are noisey; subarus are noisy. Thus is life.

Turbo boost rocks my world..."hisssssssssssSSSSSS"

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
phi11235 said:
I have noticed a similar deal with mine- mostly in first though. ....ALSO- reverse whines so much it scared the bejesus out of me when i first got the car; i dunno what the system subaru put in there to change the direction the wheels go but it must have been an off-night in the design plant. It should NOT take that many gears to do that! lol
What cars have you been driving? I've never driven a car who's reverse didn't make a ton of noise going fast backwards!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm a mechanic; i've driven more cars than i can remember. The ones i've spent the most time in are muscle cars, and a volvo 240 (dont ask.) Reverse is usually a LITTLE noiser than the other gears; but not to the degree subaru's transmission outputs. They have this cracked out way of changing direction the layshaft moves- possibly due to the awd system and to create more torque, but i have my doubts.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I duuno....mine's about the same as every car I've driven - Hondas, Lancias, BMWs, Toyotas, Porsches, etc........they're all pretty loud in reverse!

·
Registered
43 Posts
lol just as a question- how fast are you GOING in reverse?!?! As i said it does make more noise, an issue that gets exponentially louder the faster you go ( due to the gears)

Now that you mention it, you've reminded me that the porshe has a similar reverse mechanism...interesting....then again, who wants to reverse in a porshe !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry to dig up this thread...but I thought it was about time. Just rolled off the lot tonight with my brand new '05 (60 miles at purchase but I put 300 on it tonight :wiggles: ) and I also have this loud whine ONLY when downshifting into second, and of course reverse. At first I wasn't concerned because it was just a whine...but why would it only do it in second? I can keep the same RPM's, the same about of engine compression slowing it down in other gears, but still second is the only gear to do it. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
well i have 1300 miles since 2 weeks ago when i purchased an 05 WRX 1-2-3 rd all make a gear noise like and old chevy tranny use to some 50 years ago! clutch is fine ive launched hard like a maniac with a front wheel drive once but thats it. im afraid of busting the tranny and not getting a warranty!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts