Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've installed an aftermarket head unit in your WRX. Does it dim when you dim your gauges?

If it does, how did you get this to happen?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Usually there's a cable from your radio that is labled (dim) or dimmer, that gets connected to the circuit that goes along with the dimmer switch. Usually if the factory radio dims, there's a dimmer cable down there near it.

Couldn't tell you what cable that is in the WRX, I haven't taken mine apart yet. but I will :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
The 9815 doesn't auto dim unless you connect the wire labelled "Illumination" to the illumination wire on the harness. Look for a wire labelled "dim" or "Illumination."

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... The odd things is that I actually DID hook the illumination wire from the head unit to the illumination wire in the WRX harness.... grumble grumble... probably some weird JVC incompatibility

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
edsmith42 said:
Hmmm... The odd things is that I actually DID hook the illumination wire from the head unit to the illumination wire in the WRX harness.... grumble grumble... probably some weird JVC incompatibility
IF you did hook up the illumination, there might be something you have to do with your headunit's settings. The Alpine I have currently has a setting for "auto dim" or something like that. Once that is selected, the unit will dim when you turn on the lights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This has always annoyed me. I've only used Pioneer and Alpine head units, so maybe others work better, but I'd like to see an aftermarket unit that has full-range dimming to match the rest of the instrument dimming. Not just one level with lights off, and a lower level with lights on. It should be tied to the dash dimming control, just like the factory radio.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mciembro said:
This has always annoyed me. I've only used Pioneer and Alpine head units, so maybe others work better, but I'd like to see an aftermarket unit that has full-range dimming to match the rest of the instrument dimming. Not just one level with lights off, and a lower level with lights on. It should be tied to the dash dimming control, just like the factory radio.

Yeah, it just seems so bizarre that on a head unit with ALL these other goofy options like loading pictures and crap like that to not be able to dim the freakin' light levels to where I want them... grrr....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts