Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you idle, and pop the hood, does your engine tick?

i thought i might be pinging, but it doesnt sound like the ping is lasting long enough. my mom's subaru ticks too (she has a 99 legacy wagon w/ 77k)

my question is would i need the valves reseated?? cause i had this done in my old civic and the problem left. i only have 250 miles, and i hope i didnt **** anything up by accidentally hitting 4.5k rpm while i was passing someone.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not to worry it is classic subaru.
There are twice as many cams, and the car has solid lifters, they all tick and make funky noise.
The injector are quite noisy as well.

As for the early revs to 4.5K, no problem.
Some even think by now you should do a couple of blasts to help with ring seating, do some research on break ins and make a decission ofr youself.

Mine saw redline a few times before 1000 and is running strong.

·
Registered
266 Posts
While on the subject of engine noise. I think I have a header exhaust leak. It make a few other sounds as well. It's not a uppipe leak, beacause the noise is coming from the other side of the car. I don't lose boost, and boost builds when its suppost too. But it sounds almost like an exhaust leak on my driver side area of my engine. Anyone have this?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yes, I do also. But I dont think its anything b/c im a generally paranoid person.

·
Registered
266 Posts
CKxx said:
Yes, I do also. But I dont think its anything b/c im a generally paranoid person.
:eek: Moving from a smooth Honda Prelude to a used engine tranny loud WRX Wagon, I am a very very paranoid person about my car. :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
My car ticks and makes all sorts of valvetrain and injector noises. Ive been told this is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
CKxx said:
Ditto. I started hearing it after the uppipe install. I can only really hear it when I pass a solid wall at lower speeds. I've gotten over it now, since there was no affect to performance. I think as the exhaust gets opened up, the sounds just get amplified.

·
Registered
266 Posts
exactly the same sound I get especially when I park my car in my tiny garage, and also started after my uppipe install. Hmm, interesting.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Conversely, the only sound coming out of the hood of my car is the fuel injectors ticking. If the engine sat overnight and there's no oil in the top half of the engine, the cams tick for a good one minute before the oil slips in and does it's job.

By the way, pinging sounds like coins rattling in your engine bay. The best description of the sound is something that sounds like a computer hard drive coming from under the hood.

·
Registered
389 Posts
WRXG0blin said:
While on the subject of engine noise. I think I have a header exhaust leak. It make a few other sounds as well. It's not a uppipe leak, beacause the noise is coming from the other side of the car. I don't lose boost, and boost builds when its suppost too. But it sounds almost like an exhaust leak on my driver side area of my engine. Anyone have this?
I got that too. No biggie, I think it's just the car breaking in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts