ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 WRX wagon, and I'd like to upgrade my exhaust for a better sound/look and possibly slightly better performance. If it includes getting rid of my catalytic converters however, I wouldn't do it. Is that what people do when they get a new exhaust systems? Do people that upgrade exhaust just not care about what emissions their vehicles are putting out?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
a downpipe can be purchased either catted or catless

i'm running completely catless because we dont have emissions testing in FL so it has never really been a concern

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,219 Posts
Removing a cat will make the car illegal anywhere in the United States.

The fastest Subarus have cats.

People generally do remove cats nonetheless.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess my question is what aftermarket exhaust setup can I buy that will keep cats on? Is a simple Catback a good piece? What does a downpipe do for the car compared to simply a new muffler or a catback?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And does putting on a catback or other piece require a professional tuning?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Any cat exhaust will work for you. I have the Spt and I love it! Exhaust is strictly a personal preference

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just looked up the SPT 2009 5 door and it's 800. Is that a bit much or is that about right for a catback?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In your opinions, is a catback alone a worthwhile upgrade? If I don't have the money to get a tune/accessport or downpipe right now, would it be a good idea to still get a catback for some nice sound gains now and later on get an accessport stage 1 or a downpipe and use the accessport stage 2?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
In your opinions, is a catback alone a worthwhile upgrade? If I don't have the money to get a tune/accessport or downpipe right now, would it be a good idea to still get a catback for some nice sound gains now and later on get an accessport stage 1 or a downpipe and use the accessport stage 2?
Oh yeah, its worth it. You'll love the sound change.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes, definitely. There is not a power gain, but it will sound sweet!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

·
29,219 Posts
In your opinions, is a catback alone a worthwhile upgrade?
Only for the sound.

If I don't have the money to get a tune/accessport or downpipe right now, would it be a good idea to still get a catback for some nice sound gains now and later on get an accessport stage 1 or a downpipe and use the accessport stage 2?
That's a judgment call. For my money, no; for many, many others though, it is something quite worthwhile. Especially on your year that is generally seen as "quiet," people love the catback.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've heard that catbacks offer small power gains. Is this not true?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
generally, from what I have read, the only 'catback power gain' is between 1-5 HP, and that only comes in after the downpipe has been swapped and a tune done. So it is basically downpipe only (plus tune) verses downpipe and catback (plus tune). And as said, it is only 1-5HP, so likely not noticeable via the ol' butt dyno

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I just looked up the SPT 2009 5 door and it's 800. Is that a bit much or is that about right for a catback?
thats about right for the spt.. though you can find them cheaper if you look around the classifieds and find one used.

The spt is a mellow sounding cbe as well so no cop attention but it will definitely let you hear more of the boxer growl. Also, as I've recently done.. it sounds really smooth with a aftermarket dp (I went catted Invidia) .. its quiet but still stageII fast.. gotta love being stealthy :D Keeps the five-oh off my tail.

·
29,219 Posts
I question whether 1-5 HP is meaningful or even measurable given all the variables involved in using a chassis dyno, and the lack of multiple runs under controlled conditions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts