ClubWRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post here. I am looking at a 2004 wrx wagon, auto, with 36k miles on it. The dealer is asking $16.5 for it, and stated that since it is an automatic, they have had it on the lot for about 3 months. They didn't want to give me an acceptable trade, so I walked. I've been waiting to see if they call back and will drop the price some more, but no call so far. Does this price seem fair or too high? Salesman said they typically will only hold a car for about 3 months before they dump it at auction. I'm trying not to be the first one to blink, but I do like the car, but don't want to get screwed. Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it is a "Subaru Certified" car, whatever that means, so according to salesman, it has an extended warranty, the length of which I can't recall right now. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
From a dealer, with the warranty, that's a decent price. How much tread is left on the tires? How are the brakes?

I'd ask them for information about the warranty in writing before buying the car. I was told my car was eligible for an extended Subaru warranty and they actually sold me one but then when I called Subaru North America to get the paperwork for it, they said the car was no longer eligible. I had to go back to the dealer and get a refund for it, which they made me call them 4 times for and finally I just called Subaru N.A. and complained until they took care of it for me.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't know how reliable Edmunds are, but according to their site you are looking at $15k. That may be presuming a higher mileage:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/subaru/impreza/100273633/prices.html

One thing is in your favour - they now want to shift it and are not going to get $15k in an auction. You would do well to find out the Blue Book value (or Black Book or whatever you have in the US). That will give you an indication of the maximum they are likely to have paid, so add a grand or so to that and they'll probably take it. If can't find out the trade value and you are seriously interested what do you have to lose by going in with an offer at $14k, and see if they'll take $15k?

·
Registered
25 Posts
You may want to keep looking around. I bought a 2005 with similar miles and from your discription all the same options for $15500 from Carmax. I know carmax doesn't have great deals but they do have a few fair deals, so I would say you could find something a little better if you shop.

Side note... the only complaint i have about my choice is the auto. if you can stand a stick get it. The automatic seems to magnify the turbo lag and it doesn't have the response of the manual 05's i have driven. I am about to go to stage 2 assuming that will take away most of my issues.

I had to get an auto because it was a compromise until i could buy my wife a new car. I should not have compromised :screwy:

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
IYou would do well to find out the Blue Book value (or Black Book or whatever you have in the US). That will give you an indication of the maximum they are likely to have paid
The Kelley Blue Book is a consumer publication not really used by the auto industry except when it's in their favor because it quotes a higher price.

The auto industry guide, and what people should be using is NADA.com.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
The Kelley Blue Book is a consumer publication not really used by the auto industry except when it's in their favor because it quotes a higher price.

mostly agree. Nada trade in values are very over inflated. KBB has more realistic trade in values and www.blackbookonline.com is basically what dealers are really looking at in their black books. (i think the dealer actually has to pay for this site to work for the customer - we just happen to have it in our websites).

NADA retail is what most banks/lenders go by as well on a used car. they could care less about KBB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. Unless they give me more for my trade, I'll have to let it go. I would have to put down $3.5k to keep from financing inequity, which I would never do.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts

mostly agree. Nada trade in values are very over inflated. KBB has more realistic trade in values and www.blackbookonline.com is basically what dealers are really looking at in their black books. (i think the dealer actually has to pay for this site to work for the customer - we just happen to have it in our websites).

NADA retail is what most banks/lenders go by as well on a used car. they could care less about KBB.
Most of the dealers in my area use Galves.

·
Registered
36 Posts
'04 wrx wagon for 16500k and 36kmile , thats B/S,
all of you who think is a fair price either is very rich or dumb.

the price should be in mid $14ks if you bought it for 16ks expect to pay total of $20ks. Dealers ain't stupid just when you thought you bargain down to the right price , somehow the go around and screw you in the ass.
at the end you end up paying more than you bargain for.
Take my advise , because i been their before . As for those who told you to do more research before making the purchase , is a wise suggestion.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
'04 wrx wagon for 16500k and 36kmile , thats B/S,
all of you who think is a fair price either is very rich or dumb.

the price should be in mid $14ks if you bought it for 16ks expect to pay total of $20ks. Dealers ain't stupid just when you thought you bargain down to the right price , somehow the go around and screw you in the ass.
at the end you end up paying more than you bargain for.
Take my advise , because i been their before
. As for those who told you to do more research before making the purchase , is a wise suggestion.
First of all, way to dredge up a month old thread! Secondly, you're the one who's getting screwed in your ass by dealers and yet you're giving advice on buying cars? Last, you sound like you really know how to buy cars if you're walking out of a dealer paying $20k for a $16k car. :thumbup:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I let that car go. I told the dealer I wanted $2k more for my trade, or off the price of the vehicle, whichever. He called back saying, "Well, we got you the deal you wanted!", by offering me $800 more for my trade, and removing the extended warranty.:screwy: Really hurt to say no to a guy as considerate as that.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Shutting this one down; things are getting too personal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.