ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
steel hood or aluminum hood?
Could someone with an 08 check? Thanks...

(I was reading about the 08 WRX project car in SCC and they mentioned removing the "steel" hood. Curious, because my 07 is aluminum...)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
This is a unique opportunity for the aftermarket body part crowd to actually develop something useful -- a replacement hood made of aluminium with fit that rivals the stock unit. Where is it?!

Instead, I predict the usual "carbon" junk intended for "car shows" that nobody paints etc.

·
3,726 Posts
Steel hood with integrated scoop.

"Feeding the top-mount intercooler is a new steel hood with an integrated scoop. The scoop is both shorter and wider than the previous design, and thanks to being incorporated into the hood, promises to prove more stable at high speeds than the old flapping WRX hood scoop."

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0706_sccp_2008_subaru_wrx/index.html

Flapping WRX hood scoop? just how fast do you have to be going for that to happen, I wonder? :confused1

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Flapping WRX hood scoop? just how fast do you have to be going for that to happen, I wonder? :confused1
faster than 130mph. lol

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another step back? You all decide...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Mine swallows babies.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
i have seen 02-07 wrx's with the scoop shaking at highway speeds. My 2005 did it..however i dont remember my 2003 doing it.. They tend to do it after they have some miles on them and the screws that hold them in just seem to get worn somehow from the force on the blobeye style scoop...probably from the extra push it gets on that hangover of the scoop.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
My bugeye has seen 5 years of motorway use mainly and the scoop does not shake. Maybe it is something to do with the later-style overhang scoops after all.

·
3,726 Posts
My bugeye has seen 5 years of motorway use mainly and the scoop does not shake. Maybe it is something to do with the later-style overhang scoops after all.
My '02 doesn't shake (or flap) either..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The Sti flaps crazily going 65 heading into a 25mph headwind. At 120 it looks like its going to pop off of the hood:eek:.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i have not noticed any flapping in either my 03 or my 07...

·
Registered
0 Posts
so is the sti hood steel also ?

·
Banned
195 Posts
i've seen a surprising amount of movement on my 04 at high speeds,enough that i pulled over to see if everything was attached correctly (i don't recall if i was going 130 though, that seems fast but i was paying more attention to the road and dancing scoop than the speedo). i'm glad to know it isn't just my car :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 03 didnt flap, usdm or jdm sti scoop. But my 04 STi scoop flaps like its held on by 2 screws...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts