ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got to work today, I checked my tranny fluid from the change and cooler install this weekend. I had the car on, with the e-brake engaged and shifted through the gears so I could check the fluid. I was parked along a curb with my door open and the parking lot is extremely quiet. When in gear (R, D, 3, 2 or 1) I heard an electronic buzzing noise coming from the tranny under the car. I put the car in P or N it goes away, it only does it when in gear. I dropped the E-brake and the noise was still there. I even shut the engine off but left the key on accessory so I could work the gear selector and it still made that noise when in gear. My car was warm, I haven't tried when cold cause I never noticed it before. Can a few people try putting there car in gear with the car on and off to see it there abuzzing noise from the tranny, like an electronic buzzing? Also can you try it when the car is warm and cold to see if the noise is present.

One last question for now, how high up the dipstick can the ATF be or how far above the top hole can it be before there is too much fluid. Or should it go anywhere above the top hole when warm and full? Mine is like 3/4" above that top hole when hot. Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
i always thought it should be between the top two holes when hot.

You're checking with the engine running right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
for one, yes mine does it as well.
I'm not quiet sure why subaru's do this, buy I'm a car audio installer and almost every subaru I've worked on does this, not just wrx's. Maybe somebody that knows why can post "why" but I can assure you that I've seen many do this.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HJC said:
i always thought it should be between the top two holes when hot.

You're checking with the engine running right?
Yeah I'm checking hot while in N after shifting through all the gears, it seems like it is a little high. Between the two top holes seems to make a little more sense to me now:redface:. I'll have to dump a little out I guess. OMFG, Is it me or is Subaru's dipsticks hard to read!? The only one that is impossible to screw up is the Diff. It's like pulling teeth to get an accurate reading on all the rest of them. Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
uurexx said:
for one, yes mine does it as well.
I'm not quiet sure why subaru's do this, buy I'm a car audio installer and almost every subaru I've worked on does this, not just wrx's. Maybe somebody that knows why can post "why" but I can assure you that I've seen many do this.
Thank God, I thought I screwed something up again:eek3: :redface: !!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
yes, mine is above the top mark when engine is cold and warm. don't know why, maybe someone can explain this. when u install your cooler, did you add in more fluid?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
hehehe mine does it too its just a subaru thing.......buti still hate how our gear clutches are made out of cardboard :mad:

trust me if you want to ask someone something bout an auto tranny pm me...........i have had everything wrong and even anything engine i have had something go wrong

i am the breaking master :rolleyes:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I added a more fluid to accomidate the tranny cooler, I ended up using about 5 1/2 quarts of fluid someone else said that was how much they used, Skyjock said it I think. I just didn't want to add to much.

So you guys are saying that it maybe normal for the level to be a little over the top mark? I only check the tranny fluid when it is warm and like mentioned before the fluid seems to settle about 1/4 - 1/2 inch over the top hole. I guess it's alright. I hope it is alright, I'm going to the track tonight:D . I'll post what she runs later. Wish me luck:wiggles:

·
Registered
164 Posts
man, i guess our rex is not as good as we thought it to be. i remember when i had my integra gsr, i owned it for 3 years and never had a problem with it. i guess honda is pretty good...hehehe

WRXOUT, so if our tranny dipstick reads that way, how do we know if its low or not? so below the top mark is actually bad?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WRXout said:
hehehe mine does it too its just a subaru thing.......buti still hate how our gear clutches are made out of cardboard :mad:
Come on, Fadi, all the work have done to that thing and you haven't got those paper clutches replaced with aluminum ones yet:tongue: ? I think almost all AT equipt vehicle usaully have the paper clutches installed but you can have them upgraded to aluminum for a nice race tranny. High Stall TC, Valvebody work and aluminum clutches, that would be SICK!!!:cool: :D

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
04silver bullet said:
Come on, Fadi, all the work have done to that thing and you haven't got those paper clutches replaced with aluminum ones yet:tongue: ? I think almost all AT equipt vehicle usaully have the paper clutches installed but you can have them upgraded to aluminum for a nice race tranny. High Stall TC, Valvebody work and aluminum clutches, that would be SICK!!!:cool: :D
after tuning im planning on that........
upgraded tc, valve body, aluminum clutches(possibly if i have 2 grand)

im only 17 so i dont want to over due myself without being with a car casue thats just to much

i want to work on the outside it looks ghey and stock and i cant even keep my wheels on the ground

my valve cover always leaks on my engine so i dont really know if i want to put up with that BS anymore im starting to get very sick of my car and its gay ass leaks.........after i rebuild the tranny imma dfinantly gonna drop a new engine.......this engine is bad luck for some reason

·
Registered
423 Posts
you guys have no idea what real tranny problems are.......

I've gone through 2 Level 10 valve bodies......

But then again my car is a SLOW4EAT:(

2 months without a car...but when i get her back she'll be a BEASTLY 4EAT...and i mean BEASTLY.....

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
SLOW4EAT said:
you guys have no idea what real tranny problems are.......

I've gone through 2 Level 10 valve bodies......

But then again my car is a SLOW4EAT:(

2 months without a car...but when i get her back she'll be a BEASTLY 4EAT...and i mean BEASTLY.....
why 2 of them?

·
Registered
423 Posts
if you want a decent 4EAT WRX you'd want this:

Highstall t/c
Modded valve body
shiftronic kit (good stuff)
Line lock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
50 shot outta the hole....
and decenly sized turbos: 20G/1820/FPGREEN/Gt30/GT35/AVO500/XS500

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
SLOW4EAT said:
if you want a decent 4EAT WRX you'd want this:

Highstall t/c
Modded valve body
shiftronic kit (good stuff)
Line lock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
50 shot outta the hole....
and decenly sized turbos: 20G/1820/FPGREEN/Gt30/GT35/AVO500/XS500
whats line lock?

well i know im happy with 12's i dont want anything more....im going to use c02 or nawwwzzz on the IC for out of the hole.....but i want to keep my engine in tact i like the vf30

but when 100,000 mile hits 6spd standard with a built 2.4
with a 20g

·
Registered
423 Posts
WRXout said:
k sweet cause after i get tuned imma do a upgraded TC and valve body :D
smart...so you'll have to get it re tuned again.......

T/C and Valve body before tuning..if you do it the other way around then you're an idiot....:D

think about it you're car will have more boost off the line you'll have to re-tune for that....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts