Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a current WRX owner, but I am very much considering getting one right now. I've been looking around at upgrades and such, and one thing I might be interested in doing sometime is maybe raising my WRX if I get one. I live in Colorado and lead a fairly active outodoor life and it would be cool to have a bit of clearance every once in a while. The preferable situation would be to be able to easily raise the height of the suspension when I need that clearance, and then be able to lower it again. I'm only thinkin 2" at most of raise, and having the ability to lower it for normal/fast driving would be cool too. I would be totally psyched if someone could give me a place to check out a place that has coilover type suspension that can go up as well as down, or if that isn't viable one that just goes up. I would also be receptive to ideas that anyone has for this problem (one I thought of is putting "offroad" truck blocks under suspension which would thus raise the car a couple inches and then you could use coilovers to lower them to normal height or lower then normal). Thanks for any info.

Josh

·
Registered
878 Posts
Electric-Mayhem said:
I am not a current WRX owner, but I am very much considering getting one right now. I've been looking around at upgrades and such, and one thing I might be interested in doing sometime is maybe raising my WRX if I get one. I live in Colorado and lead a fairly active outodoor life and it would be cool to have a bit of clearance every once in a while. The preferable situation would be to be able to easily raise the height of the suspension when I need that clearance, and then be able to lower it again. I'm only thinkin 2" at most of raise, and having the ability to lower it for normal/fast driving would be cool too. I would be totally psyched if someone could give me a place to check out a place that has coilover type suspension that can go up as well as down, or if that isn't viable one that just goes up. I would also be receptive to ideas that anyone has for this problem (one I thought of is putting "offroad" truck blocks under suspension which would thus raise the car a couple inches and then you could use coilovers to lower them to normal height or lower then normal). Thanks for any info.

Josh
You probably won't be able to find a performance oriented suspension that will give you a 2" lift. The best that you will probably find would be a coilover setup that allowed you to lower a lot, and raise up to stock height, maybe just a tad higher.

Good luck!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I believe you could get some amount of raising and lowering with the rally length DMS 50s. However unless you can accurately re-lower the car to the same height each time you'll probably have a less than optimal alignment most of the time. I think that the Praxxis system can be setup to give higher than stock rideheight as well. Plus it should return you to the same height everytime when you change settings. Both of these are expensive options. You have to remember that the point of height adjustable coilovers is not so that you can just keep changing ride height whenever you want.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool.........about Airbags...

Ok.........airbags would be cool for sure. But are they that great for performance? LIke are they pretty stiff regardless of where they are? That would probably be the best if they wouldn't be detrimental to the handling of the car. I know I am dreaming, but I want a car that handles well (better then stock) when on highways but if I need to I could raise it up to get over offroad stuff. If the airbags are just an extension of the suspension then that would be great.
I don't think I would want to adjust the coilovers to often, just if I knew that I was gonna be going somewhere where clearance would be good. I don't do so very often, so it wouldn't be a big deal.
Lastly, worst case scenario I would just permanently lift the car an inch or so, or maybe just leave it. Any ideas for springs that will raise the car would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The praxis system is an airbag system that performs surprisingly well. The problem with it is it cost over 3k.

DMS 50s should allow you to raise the car as well as JIC coilovers or any other coilover that adjust from the strut mounting point rather then the spring pearch. Im pretty sure I could get at least an inch maybe 2 inches higher then stock on my coilovers. But I can also drop the car to the ground if I wanted to and the coilovers would react the same because my preload on the spring would not change at all.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Hold on now.

It looks like you're talking about raising it up temporarily. Like you want to get up a jeep road to go mountain biking or something. Coilovers just don't work that way. It takes a lot of time to do the adjustment - at least an hour or so - and you're not going to get all the handling benefits unless you corner-weight the car each time which is gonna cost you.

Most people adjust their coiovers once or twice. They either set them at a reasonable height originally and leave it there or they set it stupid low, then realize they were stupid and adjust it back up.

C

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
This is a very common misconception w/ coilovers- that you can raise and lower at will. Adjusting ride height is time consuming w/ a lot of back and forth adjustments.

Also raising and lowering will change camber/toe settings- not a good idea.

If your looking for a setup that will give good performance on gravel and tarmac, there are several good options. Look for spring rates in the 250 ft lbs and under catagory, look for setups that maintain oe ride height oe close (~1") and be careful w/ sway bar choices.

These choices include spring/strut combos as well as a few coilover setups.

Big Sky

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
It's not going to changer the camber that much, actually very litle, struts allow little camber change.

The only problem with DMS, is price....at least $3000 for a set. Many ralliers don't really like DMS too well.

Too bad H&R doesn't make a "Dune Buggy" coilover application for you guys (later this year, I'll most likely will get these for my car)

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I've noticed ~ .3 of a degree change w/ a ride height change of 15mm, 2" would put this close to a degree w/ the resultant change in toe.

If there was no change in camber (or toe) w/ different ride heights there would be no need to get an alignment after spring swaps.

I wouldn't want to drop or raise my vehicle by 2" (or 1" for that matter) w/o seeing what the camber/toe changes are.

Big Sky

·
Registered
555 Posts
SO Bigsky,

You would be very much against the Tein Flex w/ EDFC? Where the aligment is really a compromise between the common settings?

Just wanting your opinion.

dan.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The EDFC just changes damping settings, not ride height. Damping settings won't effect your alignment.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I talked to the guy on aim he just wanted to adjust it twice a year once for summer and once for winter. As for alignment its really not too terribly hard to do yourself,

Another simple thing he could do is just in the winter install camber plates. Sure its not their intention but they will raise the car an inch front and back.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
if its "normal/ fast driving" you are concerned with, you can have that with a 2" lift. My car is living proof of that... on 15" rally wheels and tires nonetheless! Granted, if you plan to track the car, its not ideal, but it will outhandle many lowered cars. Funny thing is, I'm not even using the correct struts for my car... I am using the GC8 KYB AGX's. With the correct struts for the car, handling would be better on and off road! (I can really feel the lack of travel when rallycrossing)

if you are interested, I can have some custom springs made for you by Eibach. I dont recommend such a big lift as it will reduce the suspension travel, but if you are interested, I can get you a set of lift springs that when mated with KYB AGX's you will have exceptional handling with that needed ground clearance. provided you are willing to do this as R&D and provide me with feedback. I have already R&D'd my current set-up on my car, but I am looking to improve upon it and I need another car. keep in mind it is R&D and may not be perfect. This is my project to perfect a budget rallyX set-up. PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Or you could get an Outback Sport and put money in the engine rather than the suspension.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
afpdl said:

Another simple thing he could do is just in the winter install camber plates. Sure its not their intention but they will raise the car an inch front and back.
Que? Which plates are these? :confused:

I also think this guy has summer in mind more that winter. Like going back on a jeep road to go mountain biking, right?

They plow the roads when it snows here in Colorado - extra clearance doesn't buy you much.

C

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
GV27 said:
Que? Which plates are these? :confused:

Cuscos and noltecs both raise the car by one inch. They are made for coilovers not struts.

You dont remember seeing threads about people buying lowering springs and front camber plates and complaining that the front of their car looks stock and the rear went down?

I also know a few people personally who have cuscos on non coilover suspensions and the front comes out way higher then it should.

AFAIK any camber plate will do this since they hold the top of the strut lower then a stock strut top would.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I've heard reports on ~ 1/2" on the Noltecs. I still wonder if this is from folks who kept the domed shaped washer that is between the tops and the upper spring perch- the Noltecs don't need this washer (and they happen to be ~ 1/2"). I didn't experience any gain in ride height when I installed mine- possibley a couple of mm, but no more. I was 10mm lower front/rear w/ the RA setup and am still in that same range.

My car might possibly be an anomly too, as many only see a drop in the rear (10mmish) w/ the RA setup where as I saw a drop front and rear.

We've strayed a little off topic:)

Back on- if I was looking for doing a bunch of gravel stuff, while still maintaining a semblance good road performance (and had the $;) ) I'd seriously consider the Tein HG setup- ride height adj is small- 1" beow to ~ 1" above, but more than adequate. Spring rates in the 250ish front/ 190 ish rear. Double adjustable dampers w/ remote reservoirs. Have heard nothing but rave reviews thus far. Not a full on raly setup by any means, but for us "mortals" looking for a dual purpose setup- not a bad option.

Big Sky

·
Registered
170 Posts
My friend has the Tein Flex and since we live in chicago, he adjustes the height for winter when he has his stock rims put on. We have a friend who works at firestone so he can put it up on the lift and align it pretty good for no charge if his boss isn't around.

As for wanting to raise it 2'' maybe you should consider a car with more ground clearance stock or get one of the options listed here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts