Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some reason my clutch in my car always seems like it s burning. I dont drive this car any harder than I drive my wifes car . Seems the clucth is very light in the STI . Has anyone talked to there Dealer on this subject ?

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,896 Posts
You better have the dealer take a look at your car.You shouldn't be smellin' clutch all the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I get that clutch smell once in a while too. Under normal driving conditions. I have not had a problem with it sliping though even under heavy loads.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clutch does not slip its just wierd that sometimes you smell it some times you dont . At low rpms 3000 you should not smell clucth .

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You shouldn't be smelling clutch. Take it to the dealer.

I'm certain they will not smell the clutch, but insist they diagnose it. At least you'll be on record as having complained about it.

X

·
Registered
312 Posts
plasteredcat said:
At low rpms 3000 you should not smell clucth .
you can smell the clutch on any car at any rpm if you ride it out long enough....

3k rpms is quite high to launch at regularly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
mine used to smell alot to but it stop after a while. it used to smell pretty bad during accel, and backing up.

FF

·
Registered
14 Posts
my clutch smells too regularly :(

the other day I smeled it while backing up!!!

I only have 9,948 miles on it :(

damn, this is frustrating.

·
Registered
111 Posts
plasteredcat said:
Clutch does not slip its just wierd that sometimes you smell it some times you dont . At low rpms 3000 you should not smell clucth .
I've been having this too...

Robert~

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
I've noticed this about the car since day one, mostly when using reverse. Since I've also not been able to detect any slippage or decrease in clutch performance, I've just attributed it to the nature of the clutch. I've had it at track days and on the strip, with no noticable difference in take up or take off. This is even after some serious running for upwards of 20 minutes at a time, hitting over 130 MPH and cycling through gears up and down from hairpins.

Letting the dealer smell it though (and I can duplicate it in reverse without high revs) might not be a bad idea in the event it does happen to affect the clutch later on.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Scott

·
Registered
559 Posts
I can smell mine after using reverse also. It smells when I don't fully engage the clutch for a period of time, in my case, when parallel parking if I have to use excessive manauevers to get into a tight spot, I never have a chance to fully engage the clutch. I don't perform clutch drops at high rpm so I don't smell it while driving.

It depends on your driving style, if you ride the clutch to have a smooth take off from a stop sign or light, your going to cause it to burn a bit, and if you drop it at high rpm you'll be stressing it which will also cause it to smell. Theres a point between those two extremes where you shouldn't ever cause it to smell.

Thats my take on the situation. And for those of you who feel its necessary to bring it to Subaru dealer to have them diagnose it, make sure you get something in the form of a written document saying that you did bring it in, otherwise, you won't have a stone to stand on. I don't personally think it will aid you much.

*Edit*

It is nice to know that others experience this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The one and only time that I smelled clutch was the night that I smoked the clutch so bad that I have a new one on order with ACT . I have gotten about 55 , 6000 rpm launches out of the car and then that night the clutch gave up and decided that it didnt want to play anymore ! I dragged my car everyweek once a week for four months and launched no more than 4 times on the street . It is a good thing I was putting my car up for the winter the next day becaust I could barely drive the car . The clutch chattered when I let it out slowly and it grabbed alllllll the way out on the pedal ! Thats ok with me though because it would have nevr been able to hold the 100 more HP the car will have in the spring time !:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts