Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys well just wanted to see if any of you guys can answer this, tonight i was racing a camaro which was my friends SS i hung with it but anyways we were going up the on ramp and then i floored it though 1st, 2nd, 3rd and on 4th i went to 80 mph and then we let off and when i tried to put it in 5th it wouldnt go in gear so i kept trying to kinda force it in by the 2nd time it just went right in and didnt have a problem after that what do you guys think? Should i take it back to the dealer? if i do then i have to take all my after market parts which is the exhaust and intake and blow off valve?? please let me know what to do im a little scared with this incident thanks Ken

·
Registered
16 Posts
Doesn't sound like anything wrong to me. Fifth is a little harder to get in gear than the others. Which doesn't bother me because if I'm trying to shift quickly into 5th, I'm going WAY too fast.:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, 4th is good to what, 120+ at least.
Fifth is for the Autobahn!!!

1st to 30+
2nd to 60+
3rd to 90+
4th to 120+
5th to 140+!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Reverse seems to be a problem with me as well, where I have to put it into 1st and than reverse to work the first time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sherb said:
Reverse seems to be a problem with me as well, where I have to put it into 1st and than reverse to work the first time.
Please tell me that they didn't use the t-45 in the wrx. :D My 2k mustang gt used to have problems with reverse all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Take a look at this guys! Roberto send this to me a couple of days ago and I shecduled an appointment with my dealership already (12 days away from today :-() I guess no unichip upgrade for me till after I check everything checked out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey blazin what do you mean if its lower than the 515611 i need a NEW clutch? and you said if its lower than 3 sometin i need a new clutch too i have 2000 miles and my vin is lower than 515611 and i didnt hear any noise nock on wood on decel should i go metion that to subaru?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Could someone please post the attachment or paraphrase it as I can't open it for some reason. I'm gleaning from the questions this may be a SOA announcement on clutch replacement based on VIN #?

Thanks,

Big Sky

·
Registered
13 Posts
revers

Glad to hear I am not the only one with a tough time getting into reverse. seems like it is almost easier to go into revers from fifth gear at high speed than from a standstill :) .
still trying to get used the reverse being .. over there...
Also, the vin number you are referring to , i assume that is the last 6 digits?
please correct me if I am wrong.
thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've read that the problem with reverse is that it doesn't have a synchro to help line it up, that's why pre-shifting into a different gear like first helps line it up. Not an issue for me since I've been doing that with a Chevy S-10 pickup for years. I recently installed a STi Group N tranny mount and that still didn't get rid of the stubborn reverse. But like I said, it's not an issue. I do however, highly recommend the tranny mount upgrade. 5th gear used to stick on me, almost like it was locked out if I didn't use a lot of force to push it into place. Now it just pops in, well, more like slides in smoothly. Also, now it doesn't feel so far out there to the right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reverse gear.

Just wondering, those people having difficulty getting into reverse is it made easier by letting out the clutch and depressing it again?

I have found that whenever its not easy to get it into reverse that the clutch trick works.

Andrew

·
Registered
208 Posts
Double clutching the reverse gear? That only works for me some times, it should work all the time though. Double clutching into first always lets me slip into first easily, but for some reason I don't get the same effect with reverse. I usually have to line the gears up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
easy into reverse

i've done this with all my cars when i'm putting them into reverse and it won't go. just hold the shifter down towards reverse, like you're trying to put it into gear, with medium pressure. then, slowly let the clutch out while keeping the pressure on the shifter towards reverse. the clutch will just get to a certain point and it'll pop right in reverse with very little force. it pops in right before the clutch catches, almost on its own. if you're on an incline just pull the e-brake and perform the same procedure. worked great for me for years, my wrx does the same thing, and so did my eclipse i had previously. whats nice is that it doesn't happen all the time.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i dont think he means double clutching in the traditional sense. just, if you try to put it in gear and it won't go (from a stop) just depress and release the lutch to line up the synchros. happens in all cars. same in first and reverse gear.

i dunno gifty74 thats sounds like a pretty complicated task just to lne up the gears.

dR

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am having a clutch problem as well but it has nothing to do with reverse or fifth gears.

I get a good amount of clutch chatter when the vehicle is cold and the ambient temperature is below 60 degreees. As the car reaches normal operating temperature, the problem disappears.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I checked my vin and my car "should" have the new clutch in it as my vin is way above the vin listed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
it's actually a very simple task. you need to do all of the stuff i mentioned anyway when you shift into any gear. the only difference is that when it won't go into reverse you just hold it there and very slowly release the clutch, as opposed to pushing the clutch, puttting it in gear, and letting the clutch out, like normal. sorry if i sound confusing. does anyone else do this?

sg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, because when you let out the clutch you move the gears some. just put it a forward gear and then reverse, there's a good reason they don't put a synchro on reverse, so you can't put it in gear at 90 miles an hour

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
I get a good amount of clutch chatter when the vehicle is cold and the ambient temperature is below 60 degreees. As the car reaches normal operating temperature, the problem disappears.
a clutch is a friction based contact muck like brakes. that shudder is normal as the composite warms up.

dR

1 - 20 of 25 Posts