ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never driven a WRX on the highway before...heck I don't even own one yet but I was just curious that with all of this power that it makes and all of the additional power that it makes with all that vishnu and STi stuff that it would use up the 5 gears rather quickly. How high do you guys rev in 5th gear at around 80 mph? And how well does it accelerate from a roll on start in 5th maybe from around 70 mph and you punch it. Is it quick enough that you want to shift again but can't cuz it's only a 5-speed? Again, I'm asking all of these questions because I am very interested in this car and want to solidify my decision and get as much info as possible before I look into it more seriously. I am a long time VW/Audi enthusiast and am no stranger to turbo performance and it has come down to either the Audi A4 1.8T Quattro or the WRX. Thanks in advance for the replies guys ;)

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
the higher gears in the rex are very long. i could very easily drive 80 -100 on the hwy in fourth gear comfortably. fifth gear is for mileage in my opinion. i cruise in it sometimes, but a sixth gear would only be worth it with shortened ratios on the other gears.

so in short, no, i don't feel like i need a 6th gear, but the sti 6speed would be a sweet addition to any rex.

dR

·
1,999 Posts
How many gears a car has isn't really always the problem. As hinted above, spacing of the gears is much more crucial. How wide your powerband influences how wide your gears can be spaced and still have GO all the time. Also to consider is the application of your car....first is too short in my opinion and will only see use in drag racing(something that I bare NO interest for). In rally and road racing, close ratio is much more important and off the line is not as much....also to consider is how fast the straights are in the type of racing you do.....So ideally, yes 6th would be nice, but not always necessary.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I agree

With same gear ratio as right now, I don't think I would want 6th gear. 6th gear would be nice with shorter gears from 1st to 5th.

You know who needs 6th gear? Integra Type R and Civic Si. Their rpm's at around 4,000 when they're cruising at 65 mph. Now that's a lot of wasted gas when cruising on the freeway.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
dark_rex said:
1.8T jettas also have very short gears, and could use one more. those litttle wolfsburgs are a ton of fun to drive.

dR
Unfortunately, the 6-speed gear box for the 1.8T's (such as the NB Turbo-S) --

*both the 5-speed * 6-speed have identical first gear

*the 6th gear and 5th gear (on the 5-speed) are the same ratio

* on the 6-speed, gears 2 to 5, are now shorter.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
good info on the VW man, what's the verdict? have you driven one? like it? my girl keeps saying eh wishes she had another gear on it. she drives like andretti, so i'm not sure if it's the car or her. :D

dR

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
Maybe when I take my car into service for a dash rattle, I'll test drive one.

My car personally, due to the tall axle ratio, 80 mph spins at 2900 rpm.

70 mph (which I mostly drive): 2500 rpm

60 mph: 2000 rpm.

about 4000 more miles until Upsolute chip in my diesel

·
Registered
78 Posts
SpeedRacer said:
I have never driven a WRX on the highway before...heck I don't even own one yet but I was just curious that with all of this power that it makes and all of the additional power that it makes with all that vishnu and STi stuff that it would use up the 5 gears rather quickly. How high do you guys rev in 5th gear at around 80 mph? And how well does it accelerate from a roll on start in 5th maybe from around 70 mph and you punch it. Is it quick enough that you want to shift again but can't cuz it's only a 5-speed? Again, I'm asking all of these questions because I am very interested in this car and want to solidify my decision and get as much info as possible before I look into it more seriously. I am a long time VW/Audi enthusiast and am no stranger to turbo performance and it has come down to either the Audi A4 1.8T Quattro or the WRX. Thanks in advance for the replies guys ;)
You need to downshift into 4th if you want to accelerate quickly at 70mph. Otherwise going from 70 will take you awhile. It would be nice if the box in our cars was the close-ratio 6-speed that's in the new-age STi's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all of the replies guys. Yeah I agree...the 1.8T Jettas need a 6th gear but as for the WRX, I don't know, which is why I asked all of you and thanks for the response. So positively, it revs at around 4000 at 80mph? Is that a little high and noisy if you have a 3 inch cat back?

Also, what does it mean to remove the catalyst? I hear a lot of people talking about this...does it mean to ditch the cat? Would this cause you to fail smog? I thought it was illegal to run without a cat in california and most other states.

·
1,832 Posts
SpeedRacer said:
. So positively, it revs at around 4000 at 80mph? Is that a little high and noisy if you have a 3 inch cat back?

Its not at 4k at 80mph. I'm at 3k going 73mph, so 80 should be about 3.3-3.4k rpm at 80mph.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Also, what does it mean to remove the catalyst? I hear a lot of people talking about this...does it mean to ditch the cat? Would this cause you to fail smog? I thought it was illegal to run without a cat in california and most other states.

not the catalyst, the catalytic converter aka. "cat" the cat is a bulb on an exhaust pipe that when warmed removes harmful pollutants from the air using a platinum alloy metal that is coiled. the exhaust is forced through this coil. these metal filters create a very significant bottle neck to escaping gasses from your engine. in most cases, increasing/enhancing the flowing properties orf and engine create more power.

the cat most people are removing first is in the up-pipe, which is the short pipe from the manifold that spins your turbo. removing this cat spins your turbo to max boost much quicker, and also drastically reduces the exhaust gas temperature, which is the primary culprit in heating intake charge before the intercooler.

the rex has 3 cats, the preturbo one on the up-pipe, then two on the downpipe. it has been widely talked about on the site that the rex passes smog with up to two of the cats removed. no worries anyway. a new model import will not have to be retested for smog for four years. technically it is illegal to remove emission control equipment, but there is no real way for them to know something has been removed unless the go way outside the bounds of a typical inspection.

also, in the future, please try to run some searches to get info before you ask a question. 90% of the time you will get a very concise answer from a number of sources, and with a much quicker turn around time.

dR

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the reply about the cat...who knew that the WRX has 3 cats? Very interesting and informative indeed and yes I will use the search option more often from now on. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks bro 👍👍

1 - 20 of 21 Posts