• Never

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home from a friends house at 2:15am tonight (Th night / Fr morning) and I thought, <as I redlined my poor little daily driver several times, while setting up for a late apex thru a corner> "I drive too fast." I was having a blast, but as I downshifted and let off the gas after the last turn to drive down main street (25mph) my cousin Carl's voice echoed in my head, "You drive that Neon too hard."

Carl is only two years older then me, and I think he's right. I have new tires, good brakes, and MAD understeer (base model Plymouth = no rear swaybar), but still.

So, do you drive too fast?

-Jim

·
1,816 Posts
You know me Jim. 70 comes up in the blink of the eye on local roads. But lately I've slowed down alot after some of the more interesting incidents that have happened. At any rate its much more fun taking turns without braking at all in the WRX. Now that my summer tires are back on, its all about the grip again :D

chris

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
There's a turn to get onto the freeway on-ramp that veers to the left and rises, kind of over this bump, and for half a second my front wheels leave the ground and I'm steering with the throttle. :D

-snowcat

·
Registered
54 Posts
Too fast? No. Too agressive? Sometimes... Especially now that I've discovered the wonderful world of autocross!

Driving too fast is when you're more then 5 MPH over the posted speed limit, IMHO. I try not to do that (way too many speeding tickets growing up; 85 on the Garden State Parkway was the kicker).

Viggy

·
Registered
863 Posts
Never. :tongue: I drive at reasonable and prudent speeds. I've been lucky to avoid tickets. I'm a traffic officer's nightmare most of the time.

Don't take that the wrong way. I don't go weaving at 100MPH through heavy traffic. But on an open road with lots of visibility and nice clear weather? 15 to 20 over isn't uncommon, with occasional sprints into the triple digits. :p

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I admit I'm way too fast and aggressive for the city.

On the plus side, I'm a calm delight on the highway.

·
Registered
317 Posts
im never an ass when driving on the highway, ive never been pulled over on the highway and probably never will. around town im not too bad.

but on my local twisties i am a madman.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There are times when I wish I could be happy putting along in the travel lane. It would certainly reduce my stress. But there's something about driving that I absolutely love. I look at those put-putters and realize, they don't like driving. Driving is a chore to people like them and the less they have to think about it or deal with it the better. And I don't want to be one of those people.

So I pass them in the passing lane at a comfortable pace.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've only had one speeding ticket, and that was about 1991... so know, I must not drive to fast. Or I'm just damn lucky :)

I try to use good judgment. I do not drive fast in traffic etc... on the highway, I will only go as fast as the fast lane lets me and will not weave in and out. But get me on a lonely back road.. yeah, I probably drive too fast according to some.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I say I drive aggresively. Its only when I get in my moms TrailBlazer that I realize I have to switch from WRX mode to normal mode. I really need to go to an Auto-x to hone some skills. Anyone know where I can find out about upcoming local ones or know of any near me.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I vote "E"

Man they drive so slow! :D

·
Registered
956 Posts
my freind used to have a term for that " hanging". **hold on as were taking this corner**

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
When I first got my WRX, I drove it like I stole it.

It was my first fast car. I came from a Volvo and a Minivan.

I've done a few things in the car that really made me check myself....

I've almost crashed my car 3 times from driving too fast/misjudging things, and I feel I've learned a lot from those experiences. The car is definitly fast enough for me (being 20) and I'm happy that I'm lucky enough to drive it, because I realized my privledge can be revoked within seconds.

I'm happy I've learned these things and toned them down for my safety and the safety of others.

Cool thread, though :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
i definitely think i drive too fast but not all the time. It's fun just driving speed limit doing nice and calm shifting. But than someone pulls next to you in some car thinking his cool and all of a sudden i'm going WOT. I don't know about you guys but after i do some stupid driving i'm always thinking to myself....wtf did i just do??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts