ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you downshift or use the brakes... i like to downshift (dont have wrx yet) lol i just like the feeling and sound when the tranny slows it down but i usualy use the brakes what about you?

·
Registered
97 Posts
when i downshift my sti i get that rear differential popping sound. gets annoying and scary. but its normal. i only downshift when im in the mood :wiggles:

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
I downshift from time to time, but I usually rev-match when I do it. Otherwise it's just smooth brake use to slow the car down quickly.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Rancid said:
Brake pads are cheaper than a clutch.

But I use the engine to slow if its snowing.

Shouldn't harm the clutch if shifts are rev-matched.

I don't know how good it is for the rest of the tranny though.

I downshift and use my brakes @ the same time.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Rancid said:
But I use the engine to slow if its snowing.
true. however, rev matching doesn't wear the clutch.

downshifting without matching revs is a horrible thing to do to a clutch. hell, i can get around town and shift smoothly without using the clutch at all (and not force the stick or grind gears into mincemeat). not that its the best idea, but it can be done.

high performance or "spirited" driving is nothing without matching revs for downshifts.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
I slow down by running into children, the elderly (osteoperosis makes them a gentle cushion), or animals.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i try to use the brakes as much as i can, since i want bigger ones anyway. might as well beat them up.

·
1,816 Posts
Use the brakes as pads and rotors are cheap compared to the other parts. Downshift only when going around corners or making turns where you need to bring the revs up to get into the power band and always make sure you double clutch when downshifting (not single clutching like those best motoring guys, remember it isnt their car they are driving!).

-chris

·
Registered
155 Posts
Trailboss said:
I slow down by running into children, the elderly (osteoperosis makes them a gentle cushion), or animals.

I tried that but it involved too much clean up afterwards.

I always downshift, and almost never use the brake. I rev match and have had no problems with the tranny after 72,000 miles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
fengshui said:
Use the brakes as pads and rotors are cheap compared to the other parts. Downshift only when going around corners or making turns where you need to bring the revs up to get into the power band and always make sure you double clutch when downshifting (not single clutching like those best motoring guys, remember it isnt their car they are driving!).

-chris
one thing i never got in my life is double clutching. wtf is that do i press the clutch twice then change gears. someone explain. i only down**** like u said when im around corners. thanks. let me know guys!

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
A few points to make:

Rev-matching and double clutching are so the car does NOT slow down when downshifting.

Double clutching is what actually matches crank speed to clutch speed. Thats why the rev is made while the pedal is up.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Rancid said:
if you're downshifting and letting your clutch absorb all the energy, you're not downshifting properly. you should be entering the lower gear at higher rpms, and letting the engine compression slow you down, not the clutch.

dR

1 - 20 of 88 Posts