Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have no gauge at all right now
completely stock
and i have no idea what is the use of it?
can someone tell me brieftly what it does
thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not the best one to responed to this question but here's my thoughts.

Obviously, a car in stock condition does not have to have a turbo guage or else it would be a standard feature. However, it may not be a bad idea. The reason for having one is so you can make sure you're either boosting enough or not boosting too much. Boosting too much can be harmfull to your engine. Not boosting enough is just not as fun or fast.

If you make any mods (i.e. mbc) that may affect the boost made by the turbo, it is a must that you have a turbo guage.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The boost gauge is actually just a throttle position meter. It shows you how much throttle you are using and if you can floor it more. I hit the pedal to the metal so much that the boost gauge is pegged at 30 psi all the time, that way my mullet is flying through the air! I miss my firebird........

Actually the other guy hit it on the nose.

[email protected]
www.achtuning.com

·
Registered
178 Posts
No, you don't really need one, but if you have a manual boost control, and you intend to push up the boost, its good to know whats happening, otherwise it could be an expensive exercise when you destroy the engine/turbo/gear box or clutch. As a stock car can only take around 17 PSI safely.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Chobits:

Even though a boost gauge isn't absolutely necessary on a stock WRX, as has already been pointed out, what it does do is allow you to monitor the "health" of your engine.

By being able to see not only your boost pressure, but also the vacuum present at idle, you may determine when performance is falling off and possibly locate a potential problem before it costs big $$$.

I know this is a little ambiguous, but I'm trying to jump-start your thought process. Look not only at the most obvious reason for installing a boost gauge, but also it's use as a on-board diagnostic tool.

Try a search on "boost" + "normal" + "pressure" and see what you find.

Good luck.

Curtis

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if i just buy boost gauge, only one ..........
how can i mount it near the steering wheel like the standard WRX w/ boost gauge on it ?
i just wanna buy one gauge i guess
don't have enough money for the gauge pod too
hehe ............

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
which one is the A pilar pod?
i know the OEM WRX gauge pod that replace the clock is around $75
i think
i saw it yesterday somewhere
but it has holes for 3 52 mm gauges
i just need one for the moment
looking forward to buy morette and 22B spoiler
^_^

·
Registered
258 Posts
The A pillar pod is the one that runs down the left side by the windshield. That is the A pillar. The B pillar is the part that is between the front and rear doors and the C pillar is the one at the back of the car.

I wouldn't waste your money on morettes and a wing if you say you don't have any money. You will need new tires first.

And they make a A pillar pod for just 2 gauges.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow
the price is pretty high for a single pod
hmm ....
if u have the money to buy 3 gauges, what kind of gauge will u buy?
water temp, turbo boost, oil pressure <- this is my choice
what about u

·
895 Posts
thats actually not too far off from what most ppl chose to put in their pods - but another important gauge is your exhaust gas temp gauge - some consider this to be your #2 gauge (1st would be boost)

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can go the cheaper route as well. A gauge is a gauge. :shrug:

I installed a VDO boost gauge for less than $65.

These are the part numbers from www.summitracing.com - Prices are as of today (11/10/02).

Mounting cup - VDO-240016D ($15.69)

Boost Gauge - VDO-150121D ($27.99)

Tubing Kit - VDO-150851D ($7.95)

Assorted parts from hardware store - (~$7.00)

You can get by without the cheap nylon tubing kit by piecing together parts from an auto parts store. The end result is much nicer than the tubing kit. I ended up re-doing mine a few weeks later w/o the nylon tubing.

You'll also need to modify the mounting bracket a bit (hammer it) and drill some holes in the bracket and the steering column to mount it properly, but it's really not that hard. Just take your time. It took me and a friend about an hour start to finish.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mmm ..... a little bit off to the right
so u can't adjust mounting cup

·
Registered
258 Posts
The best gauges to get are totally up to what you are going to do with the car. If you are going to leave it bone stock then you don't really need any. If you are getting a boost controler the the bare minimum would be a boost gauge but you could have problems with the exhaust getting too hot which pretty much everyone does who just runs a boost controler so you will want an EGT gauge as well. The third one is totally up to you. Either oil pressure or oil temp is good.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
So sorry to say this, chobits, but if you can't afford a boost gauge, and a cup, stop now.

Most of us have spent more on shipping for parts than the cost of a boost gauge. And cup. :rolleyes:

If you have to ask (when the cost is this low) you can't afford it.

misterx

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hehe
i just got enough money to buy all of em ^-^
that's why i keep ask
but still ....... i just wanna get the best price u know
don't wanna regret what i bought in the future

1 - 20 of 21 Posts