Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just placed my safety deposit for getting my 2017 WRX wrapped and windows tinted! Can't wait to have it all done!

With this being said, the original color of my WRX is black and now it is going to be wrapped as Matte Dark Gray color.

Will I need to report this color change to the DMV/MVC? :eek3:

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Why would you, your putting a sticker on your car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you, your putting a sticker on your car.

The overall visible color of the car would no longer be black? I dunno...haha...I just don't want to get trouble from the authorities is all.

I was actually searching around the web for the answer to this question too and I was getting mixed answers. @[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Well, the only way to find out for sure is to contact your DMV. The internet doesn't know anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the only way to find out for sure is to contact your DMV. The internet doesn't know anything.

welp, thats gonna have to wait till Monday then, lol!

Until then...hopefully there are some other fellow NJ-ers out there that have wrapped their cars to different colors and can chime in before I make the call~

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
I wouldn't them either unless they have a statute you are able to read defining the law regarding that. Anything less is opinion.

·
Registered
370 Posts
id call the dmv for sure but honestly you can probably just explain to the officer what you did, i mean all you have to do is open the door to reveal the black underneath. i mean, whats the worst that can happen? they make you peel the sticker off at the side of the road? lol

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Agree that if you are concerned, just call the DMV. And if you do that and are told that you do not need to report it nor to come down and have them inspect it, nor file a change form, yada, yada, I recommend you write down the time, the date and the first name of the person you talked with, then sign and date it, put it in your glove compartment. Never hurts to have good documentation.

And as the above poster noted, all you would have to do anyway, is to open up your door. And have the LEO check your VIN compared to your insurance card.

I personally doubt even if you are stopped for another reason, that this is going to be an issue. But if you find yourself repeatedly thinking about this, these and above steps will be helpful.

As besides, how far off is black from dark gray?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for responding, and all valid points!

I actually just got off of the phone with the DMV, they said that it is NOT necessary to report the color change. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts