ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yep, it's another HDTV thread. :wiggles:

To begin, I've been looking for an HDTV for a while now (waiting on prices to come down), and I think it's getting very close to the time when I'll be making a purchase. I've pretty much decided on a DLP TV. Here's my reasoning:

Plasmas:
They are thin, which is a plus, but I don't really want one because I play a lot of video games, and that can cause burn-in issues with plasmas. I wouldn't mount it on a wall anyway, because I don't want to deal with all of the cables hanging down from it. Also, they can have pixles burn out after a while (a long while), and that can't be repaired. Also, they're still expensive.

LCDs:
Pretty much the same deal here as with the plasmas... I wouldn't hang it on a wall, they can get dead pixles which can't be repaired, they don't do blacks very well, you have to view them in low lighting to get a good picture, and they're really expensive.

CRTs:
Too bulky/heavy for my tastes.

HD Projectors:
I was really considering getting one of these, but I just don't have the wall space for it. Also, you have to have a fairly dark room for a good picture. Since whatever I get will be the most watched TV in the house (in the living room), this just isn't an option.

DLPs:
You can get a larger screen sizes for cheaper than most of the others. They have great picture quality, unlike the old projection TVs. Most have built-in speakers and an HD-Tuner. They're only ~16" deep. The DLP components will last forever (no dead pixles, etc). The only thing that would need replacing (after ~8,000 hrs) is the projector bulb.

I've been looking around, and I really like this RCA set, only the 50" version - 61" is a little too large for my living room. It's even got a built-in ethernet port and web browser.

From previous threads, I know that a lot of you have HDTV setups, but I don't really remember seeing anyone that had a DLP set. Do any of you currently have a DLP HDTV? What brand/model/size is it? Are there any "problems" with it that I didn't mention? If you had to buy one all over again, would you still go with the DLP set?

To everyone else that doesn't have a DLP set, tell me why you bought what you have, and convince me as to why I should get one instead of a DLP.

Thanks! :thumbup:

[Edit:] Spelling.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I'm thinking seriously about a front projector - though I realize the problems with dark rooms and whatnot. I read the consumer reports reviews, and there are some out there in the 1500-2500 range that can blow up to more than 100" without loss in clarity and have a great picture in broad daylight.

Bulbs cost a lot and have to be replaced once a year or so.

I'm in the early phase, but I want something that takes up almost no space and - I think like you - I'm not convinced at all about plasma

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
THe prices are excellent on the DLPs from what I've been checking. 19" deep 61" RCA can be had for like 2500 or so. i'm tempted...so tempted for football season. GO PATS

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
i bought my first HD monitor about a year ago, and went CRT. the quality was unmatched, and the bottom line, this was really only an entry level tv for me.

in a few years, i'll buy the BIG 16:9, but at this point, i'm so glad i went 4:3. 90% of the TV is still formatted that way, and the people broadcasting HD just F it up all the time.

barring any drastic changes in the industry over the next couple years, DLP will be in my living room.

dR

·
Registered
483 Posts
I love the picture of DLP sets. I've been looking at Samsung sets for the longest time, but have yet to pull the trigger.

I think I may pick up a set near the end of the year. Samsung is coming out with sets using the HD3 chip and later this year the HD2+ chip.

Plus, I think Intel is coming out with their own chip, which could help compete with TI's stronghold on chips right now and possibly drive down prices.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the grave...
Does anyone know anyone who got a samsung DLP? I'm really interested and the prices have dropped to under 2500 for a 43" or so, at least from the stores on ebay. I have been ogling one at Best Buy, but the set up is not optimal for hearing the sound and lighting is not realistic for a home environment.

Anyone? I need reviews.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shard said:
Got this exact tv. Excellent picture. It's such a good TV. I recommend it.
Have you had any problems with the bulb burning out prematurely? I've heard about some of the Sonys doing that...

What do you dislike most about it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ended up getting the Samsung 50" DLP HDTV, and my advice to you is to be patient. I bought mine during the president day sale at circuit city, so I got 13% off the television as well as 18 month interest free financing (soundtrack had same sale/price but only 12 month financing). I was hesitant to buy from the e-merchants who then ship you the TV due to hassles from delivery. Plasma flat screens were not an option for me due to being in Denver and the mile high buzz that they do because of the altitude.

Keep your eyes open for sales and financing deals and wait for the right time to buy. I haven't had any issues with the television, the TV really is awesome.

-Motley

·
Registered
94 Posts
dsel said:
I'm thinking seriously about a front projector - though I realize the problems with dark rooms and whatnot. I read the consumer reports reviews, and there are some out there in the 1500-2500 range that can blow up to more than 100" without loss in clarity and have a great picture in broad daylight.

Bulbs cost a lot and have to be replaced once a year or so.

I'm in the early phase, but I want something that takes up almost no space and - I think like you - I'm not convinced at all about plasma
dsel,

I wouldn't recommend a front projector as a TV. I just did a bunch of research and found that the average life of a front projector lamp is 2000-3000 hours. I estimated (on the high end) my TV viewing hours per year to be 2080 hours which would mean I would have to replace the lamp about once per year. The replacement lamp costs range from $300-$500. I concluded that they're not a cost effective solution for TV ... which really sucks 'cause it would been really cool :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you can swing the cash, get the models with the HD2+ chip instead of the HD3. Not only does it have a better contrast ratio, but the PQ will be better as well.

My previous post about Intel....well, if you're waiting for them to help lower the price, don't.

But on the bright side, if you don't wait, you can have this! Oooooo YEAH. :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
dlp info

I actually work for Samsung. I can tell you the DLP TVs are the way to go. Unfortunately I can’t afford one myself, even with employee discount. If I were to buy one I’d definitely go with the hlp series. The hlm and hln are 02 and03 models. They were some people who had trouble with premature lamp failure; ballast problem, excessive color wheel whine and audio video sync issues. The newer model seems to be quite an improvement. Not saying the others are bad it’s just that a small amount of the thousands of people owning them had some trouble. Another thing to consider is later on in the year they will be releasing the generation 4 HD- 70&80 series and generation 5 HD - 90 series. Right now most places will only have generation 3 HD – 60 series.
For example HLP5085W is a gen 4 model
HLP5063W is a gen 3 model

link to brochure
http://www.digiupdate.com/Downloads/Samsung_HLP_Brochure_Prelim.pdf

Good website for more info on DLP technology
http://www.dlp.com/#Scene_1

another good site
http://www.digiupdate.com/

here is some info regarding the chipsets

Info from TI press releases about new TI DLP technology
DynamicBlack™: Dynamically optimizes picture quality, providing deeper black levels with incredible detail in dark scenes
and a contrast ratio of 5000:1.
DarkChip2™: The next generation of DLP’s widely acclaimed DarkChip™ technology, it offers dramatically increased
contrast ratio to provide increased depth and picture sharpness and true blacks and whites.
SmoothPicture™: Combined with our cutting-edge third generation of 720p and 1080p chips, it offers the ultimate in
picture quality, providing a smooth, seamless image.
HD2+: the latest enhancement to HD2 product line, it offers DarkChip2™ which enhances contrast for rich and detailed
dark scenes.
HD3: the next generation DLP chip, offers improved contrast and features DarkChip2™ and SmoothPicture™
technologies.
xHD3: the first in the x-series of products, it offers 1080p resolution and the finest in picture quality with DarkChip2™ and
SmoothPicture™ technologies.
Info from TI press releases about new Samsung DLP Products
Samsung Floor Standing Series - The new DLP TV floor standing designer series, with 50" (HLP5085W) and 56"
(HLP5685W) screen sizes, is the winner of CES' Best of Innovations 2004 for the video category. Both sizes offer a new
pedestal design with a vertical mounted DLP light engine for enhanced look and a cabinet that is less then 13" deep.
Utilizing the HD2+ DLP chip and DynamicBlack™, these TVs offer a 3000:1 contrast ratio and enhanced contrast for rich
and detailed dark scenes.
Samsung HD3 Series - The first DLP TV utilizing next generation DLP HD3 chip, it is available in 46" (HLP4663W), 50"
(HLP5063W), 56" (HLP5663W) and 61" (HLP6163W) screen sizes. These TVs offer DarkChip2™ and SmoothPicture™
DLP technologies, bringing consumers increased brightness a 1500:1 contrast ratio and a smooth, seamless picture.
Winner of CES' Best of Innovations 2004 for the video category, Samsung introduces its new Floor Standing DLP TV
Designer Series. With 50" (HLP5085W) and 56" (HLP5685W) screen sizes, it offers a new pedestal design with a vertical
mounted DLP light engine for enhanced look and a cabinet that is less then 13" deep. These revolutionary TVs feature
HD2+ DLP technology and new Samsung Cinema Smooth™ Gen 4 Light Engine and offer a 3000:1 contrast ratio.
Also new at CES is Samsung’s next generation of Slim Bezel DLP TV with 46" (HLP4674W) and 56" (HLP5674W) screen
sizes. The ultra slim bezel in this line reduces width and focusing all attention on the picture. Sharing comparable feature
set as the Floor Standing series these TVs will be available in Q3 2004.
Samsung will also be introducing the first DLP TV utilizing HD3 technology in 46" (HLP4663W), 50" (HLP5063W), 56"
(HLP5663W) and 61" (HLP6163W) screen sizes. Available in Q2 of 2004. These TVs offer Samsung's Cinema Smooth™
Gen 3 light engine, bringing consumers increased brightness, 1500:1 contrast ratio and a smooth, film-like picture.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Fixxxer said:
Have you had any problems with the bulb burning out prematurely? I've heard about some of the Sonys doing that...

What do you dislike most about it?
No problems, fairly new, my only complaint is that it's not bigger :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts