ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a fairly easy modification you can do in 5-10 minutes.

The only tool you'll need is a flathead screwdriver (this may not be necessary if you have fingernails).

To access the taillights, you need to remove clips from your trunk.

There is one clip on the driver side:

There are two clips on the passenger side:

I found the following picture of the taillight:

Pictures (these are not my car - it's still light out)

Before (no brake):

Before (brake):

After (no brake):

After (brake):

Source: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499101

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI: I forgot to mention this earlier, but it is illegal to remove light bulbs from your taillights, so do this at your own risk

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trainrex said:
The cops that enforce that also enforce the mattress tag laws.
:rotfl:

My father was pulled over and ticketed for having one of his rear license plate lights out doing the speed limit of the right lane of the highway (while other people are doing 15-20mph over).

I've been pulled over 3X for < 5mph over the limit.

Cops by me are petty. :rolleyes:

I was simply making sure people know that it's illegal, so they have no one to blame but themselves if they're issued a ticket.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
:rotfl:

My father was pulled over and ticketed for having one of his rear license plate lights out doing the speed limit of the right lane of the highway (while other people are doing 15-20mph over).

I've been pulled over 3X for < 5mph over the limit.

Cops by me are petty. :rolleyes:

I was simply making sure people know that it's illegal, so they have no one to blame but themselves if they're issued a ticket.
We'll blame you anyway.

I've also been pulled over for a license plate light.

I once got pulled over doing 27 in a 25. I asked him if it was hard to catch up to me. He told me I was funny.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Where did you see that the taillights in Japan function different than those in the US?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LPPTundWRX said:
Where did you see that the taillights in Japan function different than those in the US?
Nasioc/IWSTI - one of the two

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Hhmm... When my taillights were all cut up after I bought the car I had talked to Armin and sent him a few links for his advice. He said that people claiming they have JDM tails just means your going to pay more for them. He said they are the exact same...

I trust Armins advice..

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LPPTundWRX said:
Hhmm... When my taillights were all cut up after I bought the car I had talked to Armin and sent him a few links for his advice. He said that people claiming they have JDM tails just means your going to pay more for them. He said they are the exact same...

I trust Armins advice..
I don't know anyone personally who's purchased them, only done the modification I described earlier. I personally like the look of it, however, I have seriously considered putting in the middle lights and having the round section be lit while driving, and all three lit while braking (for legal reasons).

Maybe he can help with this "rumor" :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I don't know anyone personally who's purchased them, only done the modification I described earlier. I personally like the look of it, however, I have seriously considered putting in the middle lights and having the round section be lit while driving, and all three lit while braking (for legal reasons).

I can see where it would benefit having better visibility while braking. But dont know why its being called JDM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just did this last night and I noticed that now my license plate lights are out! :bs:

Anyone else have this issue? Would I have have blown the fuse for the license plate bulbs by removing the bulbs in the tail lights??

·
Registered
2 Posts
...A step further!?!? ;)

I'm currently in the middle of a move but I came across this thread and took the five minutes to do it... looks great BUT I had a great idea just haven't done it yet cuz tools are packed but here it goes after doing the above mod WHAT IF :)

A) Take the blinker and move it to the now unused bottom center port

B) Now take the center terminal which the above mod mentions and (Cringing lol) cut the connections leaving as much wire as possible on the terminal side(I will research which resistor to insert in it's stead and post as soon as I find it) and insert a resistor.

C) Now take the terminal you just cut free and tap into the reverse light terminal circuit.

D) Add a clear light (maybe the one you removed from the aforementioned mod)
and insert the terminal into the now open second terminal in the clear portion of the housing

Ok here is the result which I think would look great:
1. Inner red tail light = Running Light
2. Mid red tail light = IS NOW YOUR BLINKER!!! :) :) :)
3. Outer red tail light = Brake light
4. YOU NOW HAVE TWO REVERSE LIGHT ON EACH SIDE!!!!!! :) :) :)

I will post pics as soon as I'm done with the move and have completed the mod on my own car, as well as what resistor to use on the terminal removal.

If anyone does this before me let me know how it looks! ENJOY

Great original write up BTW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why do you need a resistor? That will just make the light dimmer. Were you thinking about a diode?
The resistor is used on the wires left hanging after the terminal is removed (on the harness side not the terminal side) as you know cars run on DC so it isn't necessary but its a good idea to insert one rather than just wire nut the loose ends although that too would work according to the wiring diagram I got from Subaru... A diode could be used on the terminal side though if you choose but isn't necessary especially if you upgrade to the LED bulbs. Hope this answers your question :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts