Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IMPORTANT NOTE: I posted a copy of the healight mod instructions on this thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14169

Hi all!

I got bored this week and decided to paint the inside of my headlight black to match my car. After I got the headlight disassembled I got an idea. Most people just paint the entire light housing black or color match it to their car. Those of you who have done this can testify to how badly it affects your front turn signal visibility. I came up with the following solution.

It has 2 benefits:

1. Keeps stock levels of turn signal visibility
2. Makes the US headlights look a little more like the JDM.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's what I did (part 1)

With the assembly in hand, I went to the hardware store. I went through all the isles looking for something that would take the place of that stupid orange piece. I found that 1&1/2 X 1&1/4 PVC piping (in the electrical section) fit pretty much perfectly.

I bought a few and went back to the pad for some experimentation. Basically, the back part of the coupling was useless. I cut that part off.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what I did (part 2)

After I got the wider part of the PVC off. I filed it down till it was smooth and sanded it to prep it for painting. I prepped the housing by masking of the reflective part that would normally be underneath the stupid orange piece. I then proceeded to paint both the housings and the PVC pipe. Here is pic of the masking job I did.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what I did (part 3)

After the paint was dry I removed the tape (duh!) and proceeded to check the PVC pipe for fitment. I figured out that it was hard to make it stay in withought something to secure it.

I had 2 options
1. Say f'it and epoxy the piping on there
2. Cut the fittings off the stock piece and attach them to the PVC

I did option 2 since I was just going to throw the old pieces away. I used a combination of cracking the plastic and a razor blade to get them off. I then epoxied the clippings to the PVC pipe. I tried it out and it fit perfectly.

I reassembled the headlights and put them back on my car.

Here's a pic of the housings post painting

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow! That looks REALLY good! Did you use just a flat black for the paint?

Very creative and ingenuitive! Two thumbs up! :D

EDIT: Could you post a day/night pic of the whole car from the front??

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me know...

What you think! This is really only a temporary solution till I get my Morettes, but I think it looks good. Plus it's REALLY CHEAP!

I'm thinking about trying to fabricate an entire assembly that looks more JDM but uses all the stock lighting locations. If anyone in Seattle has a pair of stock lights I can take off their hands for this experiment let me know!

Koji

P.S. I'm new, but I love this board. You guys are great about offering advice without flaming everyone!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paint...

I used black low gloss engine paint. I'll post some more pics of lights when I get more time. This week, I'm lucky I got home with even enough daylight to do this.

Koji

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Wow! Sounds like a lot of work but it looks DAMN good! :D

Since you're in Seattle, I'd love to see these in person some time! Check out the Northwest forum for our local meets :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Sweet:)...much props koji. Those look so cool. What did yo use to reseal the headlights? I would love to do this to my lights, but I'm affraid of water leaking into it. Let me know if you run into such problems. Late.

Fahd

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sealer

To reaseal the lights and keep them from ingesting water I used waterproof and weatherproof silicone sealer avaliable at any autoparts store. Its a little tube with a narrow applicator.

Put a thin line of that around the front part of the housing before reassembling it (after you've reheated the back part in the oven). Once you've got the housings back together, if your really paranoid about moisture, you could use more silicone sealer around the edges (think caulk around the tub) on the outside.

I washed my car a couple of time and so far so good. I'll wait till winter to really be sure. It hasn't rained hard in Seattle for a while :confused:

Koji

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Re: Let me know...

koji said:
What you think! This is really only a temporary solution till I get my Morettes, but I think it looks good. Plus it's REALLY CHEAP!

I'm thinking about trying to fabricate an entire assembly that looks more JDM but uses all the stock lighting locations. If anyone in Seattle has a pair of stock lights I can take off their hands for this experiment let me know!

Koji

P.S. I'm new, but I love this board. You guys are great about offering advice without flaming everyone!
I think that this is so beautiful that I'd buy them off of you after you put your Morettes in! :D :D

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Re: Sealer

koji said:
To reaseal the lights and keep them from ingesting water I used waterproof and weatherproof silicone sealer avaliable at any autoparts store. Its a little tube with a narrow applicator.

Put a thin line of that around the front part of the housing before reassembling it (after you've reheated the back part in the oven). Once you've got the housings back together, if your really paranoid about moisture, you could use more silicone sealer around the edges (think caulk around the tub) on the outside.

I washed my car a couple of time and so far so good. I'll wait till winter to really be sure. It hasn't rained hard in Seattle for a while :confused:

Koji
I just may have to try that...thanks:).

Fahd

·
Registered
511 Posts
very nice job... i like them better than any of the aftermarket ones.... how much do you think you spent all together? like 10 dollars to the morettes of 500? good deal

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
10 bucks...

Was a pretty good estimate. Actually the PVC connectors cost 2.99 each at home depot. The paint was another 3 bucks and the silicone sealer was another couple of dollars. If I had to do this again, I could probably complete the job in less than 1 hour (minus baking time and paint drying time).

BTW, if any of you want to do this, just PM me and I'll help you out any way that I can with pics etc.

Also, the PVC piping is a 1 & 1,2 to 1 & 1/4 connector. It is NOT just a plain 1 & 1/4 piece of piping (which won't fit correctly in the stock spot).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sweet!!!

Man those look great. I bought the UK300's from vivid racing back in APR, and I only wish I had heard of this option. Seriously great job. P.s. I will gladly trade you my black UK300's for your painted stockers.:)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By Popular Request!!!

Here are some daytime pictures of my headlight mod. I've send instructions to AT LEAST 25 of you. If you tried this out, post some pics!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 234 Posts