Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, I'm all for the WRX and this will probably all fall back on me. This was my second car in a decade and to be honest I was like a kid at the candy store. I purchased this car on a workday, late in the evening. I should have just waited until the weekend to better inspect the vehicle.

1 Week, 3 days of Ownership: I decided it was time to give my WRX a good washing. This was when the nightmare began. As soon I started to wipe down my vehicle, I noticed a good size scuff mark on the front passenger side right before the metal WRX decal. The nightmare just got worst as I further inspected the vehicle. There were a dozen small scratch markings going down the rear passenger door. At this point my heart just dropped and everything else with it. My new black WRX forever scarred...

A few days before this, I had the dealer's workshop bring in my vehicle to give it the protective film. Upon it being returned, I did a quick inspection and didn't notice anything, especially with the vehicle being dusty and all.

Again, as I've already stated this will probably fall back on me for not doing what I was supposed to do from the beginning, but I've been thinking A LOT and don't know what else can be done. Would appreciate any suggestions or feedback on this matter.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,413 Posts
Except it's new and touch up paint, with a clear coat touch up will make most of it disappear. Then a solid buff and wax and you'll never know

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Makes no sense. Scuff mark? What, like sandpaper on the paint or just smeared clearcoat? And why would the car be dusty after the dealer just did a protective film? And what is 'protective film?' And wouldn't that mean they cleaned the car to do this and so the car should be shiny new when u picked it up.

·
Registered
279 Posts
First and foremost, I'm all for the WRX and this will probably all fall back on me. This was my second car in a decade and to be honest I was like a kid at the candy store. I purchased this car on a workday, late in the evening. I should have just waited until the weekend to better inspect the vehicle.

1 Week, 3 days of Ownership: I decided it was time to give my WRX a good washing. This was when the nightmare began. As soon I started to wipe down my vehicle, I noticed a good size scuff mark on the front passenger side right before the metal WRX decal. The nightmare just got worst as I further inspected the vehicle. There were a dozen small scratch markings going down the rear passenger door. At this point my heart just dropped and everything else with it. My new black WRX forever scarred...

A few days before this, I had the dealer's workshop bring in my vehicle to give it the protective film. Upon it being returned, I did a quick inspection and didn't notice anything, especially with the vehicle being dusty and all.

Again, as I've already stated this will probably fall back on me for not doing what I was supposed to do from the beginning, but I've been thinking A LOT and don't know what else can be done. Would appreciate any suggestions or feedback on this matter.

Thanks!
This is your first black car, isn't it....

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, this is only gonna get worse. Black cars tend to show their flaws much more than, say, white or silver. You can either get over it and live with it, or, do a bit of extra work to mitigate and prevent the issues from happening. A few things to consider.

-Subarus are notorious for their soft paint. Get a clear bra NOW. DONT WAIT. If you wait, your front bumper will look like the milky way within a year.
-Have a PROFESSIONAL detailer (not the $50 special at the local carwash) compound the entire car and apply one of those fancy polymer hard-coatings. This will help TREMENDOUSLY with the swirls.
-FORGET ABOUT car washes, even the hand washes... Do a bit of research on how to wash your car without covering it in swirls. It wont be a 20 minute job, but it will help keep the paint looking good.
-Get over it. Your car will look dirty 3 days after you wash it. Coatings will help keep it looking cleaner, but... the car is black, and black cars are notorious for showing dirt.

My WRX is also black, so trust me, I feel your pain.

I had a fenderbender a year ago, and the shop had painted the front bumper and re-done the clear coat on my hood, front fenders and front doors. The aftermarket clear coat made a MASSIVE difference. As of now, I have gotten virtually no chips and see no sand blasting on the bumper. In other words, it doesn't look like the milky way anymore. So, one option that you may want to consider is just live with it for a year or two and then have the front bumper re-painted and have them apply a fresh layer of clear to the front of the car.

Don't shoot the messenger!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I second the clear bra ASAP. I had the bumper and first 1/3 of the hood and rockers done at a minimum 2 weeks after I got the car. 1200 miles and I already had a few nicks. If It wasnt my daily and I wanted to keep it pristine (and had the $$$) Id do the full hood, mirrors, and front part of the front fenders too.

The Ceramic coatings DO help considerably with keeping the car clean, ease of washing, keeping dirt off and preventing scratches but its not impervious and its more like a harder version of clear coat on top of your clear coat.
They will NOT really help much with paint chips. Only 3m Or Xpel or equivalent will do that.

Gtechniq Crystal Serum, CQuartz Finest and Ceramic Pro are the top 3 ceramic coatings for hardness in my area. (not in any order). CS and Cquartz finest will cost you around $1200+ to coat the car, wheels, and most times calipers and interior are included. Usually 2 or 3 coats. You are mostly paying for the paint correction labor done before the coating is applied. The worse off your car is the more $$ it can be. Even new cars need some correction generally and cost a bit less but some like Cquartz set a floor in pricing. I know Cquartz and Gtechniq have pretty high standards for their installers and shops Ive checked out for those coatings usually do both and are constantly populated with Ferrari, Lambos, High end Porsche etc.

Ceramic Pro may be less stringent on installer reqs and one actually told me he was turned down by CQuartz (but that may have been because there was one already in his area) and ceramic pro seem to have more installers in a given area. All have varying warranties depending on how many layers you add. IMO the Installer is the most important part of the equation.

Secondly all of these have "do it at home" versions but they are not really the same and wont protect or look as good.

Third: No matter what coating you do, DO NOT EVER USE A AUTOMATIC CAR WASH. Dont let your dealer wash the car either. No coating can protect from the abuse of dirty worn out rags slapping your finish with dirty recycled water and dirty drying rags. To maintain the coatings and the glass-like finish you need to do a 2 bucket wash method with grit guard, only microfiber towels etc and relatively specific wash soap. Dont expect it to last if you have this done and then treat your car like crap. The upside is usually you can spray the car off with just water and the dirt just doesnt stick. Even after a few rain storms the car doesn't look dirty except on a few areas near the back.

I did Gtechniq EXO on my WRX. It isn't as hard as the others and will last about 2-2.5 yrs BUT its more hydrophobic than the others and was less costly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts