Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you guys but I'm really tired of the low quality, thin sheet metal that Subaru uses on it's vehicles. I am always cautious about where I park, being careful to stay far away from any cars who may ding my doors. However, I seem to discover a new dent or ding on my car on a daily basis and I'm getting pissed. Last week I discovered three small dings just behind the amber side marker and a couple days ago I notiiced two new dings on my hood. I owned my last car, which was a GM, for two years and not one door ding. I guess it's time to put Dent Wizard on my speed dial, I'm going to go broke just keeping my body panels straight!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hasn't mattered what vehicle I've owned, same result - dings! I don't think it's the "cheap" sheet metal (BTW the hood is aluminum), I think it's dorks who don't know how to open their doors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While I was in Germany a few years ago I noticed that a lot of cars were parked up on the sidewalk and barely off the street in some cities because parking was at a premium. They were also parked very close to each other. I noted that most of the cars were dent free, even the ol' "clunkers". I asked our tour director how people kept their cars so dent free. His reply was that they respected other peoples' property and in Germany a car is a status symbol. We ugly Americans have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
wrx-file said:
His reply was that they respected other peoples' property and in Germany a car is a status symbol. We ugly Americans have a lot to learn.
Amen to that...:(

·
Registered
310 Posts
Next time watch how fast most bastard get out of their cars without
even looking. I was in London and Paris on vacation few years back
and noticed that most people do open their car door slowly.

Man you should see how ppl drive in a 2 way single lane road. They
will wave and tell you to come and at the same time they will go into
the passing space ( area in the middle of the street for car to pull in
to allow passing ). Try that in NY and LA :D :D

Cars cost a ton outside of US and people don't want to start the
bad habit and destory each others cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Watch what you park under too. My hood is dimpled like a golfball from the acorns coming off the oak trees by my driveway.
(If you listen carefully, you can here the chainsaw off in the distance.)

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
(If you listen carefully, you can here the chainsaw off in the distance.)
lol

i've got a few dings, some bad enough that i feel nauseous when i see them, but i don't think this metal is any cheaper than a hondas or a toyotas. what makes you think it's so cheap aside from your dings?

dR

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've been lucky so far... but I know it will happen eventually. I've seen some people who really don't care at all. :eek: Then they get beat up and wonder why. Kids are the worse. Kids don't care. They break their own toys, they break their parents' stuff, why would they care about you and your car...

In Europe, most places are parallel parking spots. Except for grocery stores. But damn, you use your front and rear bumper a lot. Most cars have them stock with no paint on it because they get scratched badly. Why? Not enough places to park, so trust me, when you find a spot, you squeeze your car in. People will hit "gently" the car in the front and the one in the back. Alarms will eventually go off. And if the owner of one of the car is around, a little fight will break out. Cops anyone? And it's baton fest, you like it or not. Well, to a certain extent. But true that people open their door more carefully.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ive had my car for a year now and only have 1 door dent from the fat ass bitch who parks her car next to mine at my appartments. (assigned parking spaces) You can't see it unless you look at it in just the right way. Yes, she got a really nasty note left on her car. And I park as far away from her car as I can. I really need to get a house with a garage!

When parking at stores, I park at the back of the lot and usually take 2 spots, sometimes 4, but I tried for 6 yesterday but the car is too short. :D And don't tell me not to do that and "if you were in your car you would park really close next to me" because the guy that does that will get all 4 of his tires schrader cores removed and taped to his/her windshield. lol (yes I do have a core remover)

[email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing to consider though, thin metal will deform on impact, heavy duty metal will not, so;

-Hit a tree in a 70 Chevelle at 80 MPH, the big 'ol heavy body won't deform much, so therefore the crash forces are absorbed by the occupants, more than likely, you wound't survive.

-Hit a tree in a WRX at 80, the body will deform like crazy, absorbing the impact of the crash instead of transferring the energy to the occupants, you might walk away.

I have a few ripples in the fender, door, etc. from work and cones, yes it bugs me, but I would think this is the logical answer to the question of why it is so thin.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Deadbolt is right. So many people believe is wrong though. It's hard to say because an accident is like a person. Always different.
Based on physics only, the energy has to be absorbed somewhere, somehow. But I've also seen some little Geo getting run over by lifted SUV and then hit by another truck... not much left. Pure straight impact is usually good. When you have too many variables, it's going to be a little tiny ball of shredded metal. I still believe in being hit in a newer car like a WRX than an older heavy metal car.

It's still very frustrating sometimes that you barely hit another car at low speed and your whole front is gone. And very expensive. Just remember one thing: it could have been your whole head completely messed up. Plastic surgery is not fun either.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
ticrab said:
Just remember one thing: it could have been your whole head completely messed up. Plastic surgery is not fun either.
Speaking of plastic surgery.... ticrab, have you ever considered getting some of that red pigment out of your face (not to mention the horns). You might be less intimidating that way.:D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
You're right, Tim. The WRX has excellently designed crumple zones and the "Greenhouse" whose job it is to protect the occupants will almost never intrude on the cabin!!!!

The "New Impreza" is impressive on SOOO many levels.

-Jim

BlazinWRX said:
Hey but look on the bright side, the Impreza bodies are most likely to hold its shape out of all the sedans in it's class!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
BlazinWRX said:
Hey but look on the bright side, the Impreza bodies are most likely to hold its shape out of all the sedans in it's class!
That's true, as it did get the best safety ratings possible. Now if I could just find that link to prove myself....

The "New Impreza" is impressive on SOOO many levels.
clever, Jim. maybe use "imprezive"?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Umm....

That's all well and good ( the crumple zone idea ), but the thickness of the sheet metal has nothing to do with that. In a crash hard enough to make use of "crumple zones," sheet metal is a non-issue. Even the thickest sheet metal crumples like paper. There also couldn't be over 20 pounds of weight savings by using the thin stuff. The fact is the car is cheap. Cheap sheet metal, cheap paint, cheap $$$. Quit trying to make excuses as to why the car is what it is.

VV

PS I'm not saying it doesn't make use crumple zones or any other crash protection, just that the thickness of the sheet metal has nada to do with it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts