Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our new 2017 WRX for about 11 months now and I keep forgetting to ask this here. The brakes on our WRX seem very ineffective. Not sure if it is just ours or if everyone feels this way. They are just the standard brake setup but still on a brand new car, they are very weak. You really have to push in the pedal to get the car to slow down. The pedal is not spongy or anything but has a long travel and doesn't seem to have much modulation in it. Our previous car (2013 Dodge Dart) had brakes that you could breathe on and they would freeze you in your tracks. My other car (2017 VW GTI) is the same, although it is a performance pack and has the big brake setup from the Golf R on it so I know that is not a fair comparison.

Anybody else in the same boat and can changing the pads make that big of a difference? Currently only at 9,000 miles.

Also, I don't want to buy an STI brake setup. This is my wife's daily driver and we don't track it or anything so I can't justify putting that much money into the brakes. Just want to hear other's thoughts

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had a 17 WRX Limited and I thought the brakes were excellent. Much better than I expected. I drove it hard and fast on windy roads and didnt feel the need to upgrade anything.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
same.

I think the brakes are excellent on my 15. "Heaviness" of pedal push needed is different than the brakes not being effective. Pedal feel/push needed is a manufacturer choice thing. If you can lock up the tires (with ABS off of course) then the brakes can get No better; tire-to-road interface is the limiting factor.

I have avoided hitting several deer because of the braking of my 15.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
You might tell the dealer to check the brakes then insist they swap fluid and bleed them for free. However if they stop the car and don't boil then I'd say it's probably normal.

If you want something more go to any DOT 4 (Castrol is cheap) or go to ATE fluid and Ferodo pads. You might sail through the first stop sign until they warm up though.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
That doesn’t sound normal for any vehicle I’ve ever driven.

It’s t almost sounds like you got something oily on the pads or rotors.

·
Registered
369 Posts
When I had my 17 base there was a bit of easy travel that did nothing & felt consistently hard past that. To actually brake I felt like I was forcing the pedal. It would stop fine but felt like I was pushing harder than I should. My hondas brake pedal did not feel as firm. The 16 sti I currently have seems to do more in the 1st few inches of pushing then gradually gets harder to push.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I bought a black G2 kit to paint the calipers as soon as it warms up a little (they look absolutely horrible after less than a year!). I haven't decided if I am going to pull the calipers off to paint or do them while on (it is a brush on kit). When I am done doing that, I am going to bleed them and make sure there is no air in the system. Thanks for everyone's input, it must be our car specific.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You might tell the dealer to check the brakes then insist they swap fluid and bleed them for free. However if they stop the car and don't boil then I'd say it's probably normal.

If you want something more go to any DOT 4 (Castrol is cheap) or go to ATE fluid and Ferodo pads. You might sail through the first stop sign until they warm up though.
Good advice, Id start here and while you are there test drive another WRX and see if its the car or your expectations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts