ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just mapped my 2002 wrx with a Cobb stage two, 91 octane, directly from the Cobb access port. I have installed a Cobb turbo back exhaust (with cat) and a K&N cold air intake. I am running with #6 plugs. No other mods.

Here's the issue: It accelerates off the line but I expected a smooth continuous acceleration, instead I get a "stall" at around 5000 rpm. It's like it's asking for more of something. It must be getting enough air, and my gas gauge indicates it's getting gas. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Remove the intake, put the stock one back on, clean your MAF, and see if you still have a problem.

Cobb's maps aren't designed to work with that intake, and their maps are very picky. Per the Cobb map notes on their website:
MUST USE FACTORY INTAKE OR COBB SF INTAKE SYSTEM ONLY, NO OTHER AFTERMARKET INTAKES ARE CERTIFIED COMPATIBLE WITH THIS CALIBRATION.

This is all in caps in the map notes and it's the only thing in all caps. That should tell you how important it is...

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Put the stock range spark plugs back in the car, adjust the wastegate 2 turns and you have to replace your up-pipe.. All your power is lost thru that up pipe..

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Put the stock range spark plugs back in the car, adjust the wastegate 2 turns and you have to replace your up-pipe.. All your power is lost thru that up pipe..
Oh... And your stock airbox, put it back in with a high flow air filter.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Oh... And your stock airbox, put it back in with a high flow air filter.
I'm going to disagree with you there. The stock filter already flows more air than a stage 2 car can possibly use...

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I'm going to disagree with you there. The stock filter already flows more air than a stage 2 car can possibly use...
Possibility, but if you talk to Cobb they want you to use a K&N like filter..

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Possibility, but if you talk to Cobb they want you to use a K&N like filter..
Really? Is that only if you talk to them? It doesn't say that on their website. I've talked to them a number of times over the years (usually Chris) and they've never mentioned that.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Was it with your STi's or about the 2.0 motor? I was always told a high flow panel filter (oe replacement was a good idea on stage 2) for 2.0s especially

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
my 07 ran better on the stock aif filter when i went stage 2. i was stage 1 with the k&n, and it seemed fine. when i put the DP on and re-mapped, the car had weird behavior when I was really pushing on it. i didn't bother looking into it at all since putting a stock filter back into it made it all better.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Did you do a K&N panel or intake? If you did an intake typically that was your problem.. If you used a K&n panel filter it probably sucked some of the oil off of the filter and dirtied your maf. K&n does not PRE oil there filters anymore because of this issue.. Being to oiled out of the box

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
i used the k&n drop in - and I did have MAF problems that didn't show until after I went stage 2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another issue which I hope is related, is to do with the check engine light. Even though the Cobb down pipe has a cat, I get a 420 code (cat inefficiency) after about 2-300 kms after I cancel it. Could this be a dirty MAF?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts