ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a likely way for the engine (50,000 miles) to get more than 2-3 quarts low on oil within a year or so since last oil change?

The car did not leave any oil spots when parked, and does not make any noticeable burned oil smell when driven.

Any ideas? Is there a typical source of leaks

One day I started it, heard a noise like a lot of valve or lifter clatter, then checked the oil and it was 2-3 quarts low!!
:confused:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You havent had an oil change in a year? well first get your oil and filter changed....when was the last time you checked your oil before you heard this noise?...I would say it is not out of the question that 2-3 quarts is normal...especially on a turbocharged car....and especially if you havent added any oil or had your oil changed in the last year...If you can get under there to have a peak around that may tell us more...

·
Registered
38 Posts
some times if theirs slug build up check the heads (in know pain in the ass) but some times the oil returns get plugged up and when all the oil gets sent to the heads they say up there also could be stuck in the block, if you think about it, when you start your car all that oil is being pumped through your car and if you check your oil after driving there could still be 1 or 2 qourts still in the engine and not in the oil pan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.
I think the first suggestion may be the case.
I normally drive a pretty low number of miles per year, and always changed oil often enough.

I did have a couple long trips before this happened, and it may have just been the normal use of oil and it had been too long before changing it.

Since I put in the additional oil, everything seems to be fine, and I have been checking it often, and it doesn't seem to be decreasing now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
well good glad it all worked out, but just remember not all the oil you see on your stick is whats in the engine all that you see is whats in the oil pan its just like coolent you put a crap load of coolent and when you start the car up it all disapers but just cuz its low doesn't mean its gone its just in the block doing its job hahah

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Thanks for the responses.
I think the first suggestion may be the case.
I normally drive a pretty low number of miles per year, and always changed oil often enough.

I did have a couple long trips before this happened, and it may have just been the normal use of oil and it had been too long before changing it.

Since I put in the additional oil, everything seems to be fine, and I have been checking it often, and it doesn't seem to be decreasing now.
if you don't change the oil you should do this

Free Test Kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts