Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
There is always a way. Why do it though? They make a HUGE difference in other cars being able to see you and not hit you. I have modified mine, but not disabled them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Instead of relying on others to see me, I look out for potential dangers on the road. I got this from years of motorcycle riding, where having a headlight on does not always help you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Instead of relying on others to see me, I look out for potential dangers on the road. I got this from years of motorcycle riding, where having a headlight on does not always help you.
You can be a world champion professional driver with the reflexes of a cat and the speed of a mongoose... but if somebody doesn't see you, you can still get into a situation where even your god-like reflexes will not save you. Keep the DRLs. What is the practical reason to remove them? I can think of a single advantage to not having them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can be a world champion professional driver with the reflexes of a cat and the speed of a mongoose... but if somebody doesn't see you, you can still get into a situation where even your god-like reflexes will not save you. Keep the DRLs. What is the practical reason to remove them? I can think of a single advantage to not having them.
Well I have had success with previous cars that did not have DRLs, so I see no need for them now. :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've done it on my '16 - there is a resistor that needs to be unplugged. It is kind of tough to access behind and below the passenger side headlight. I got at it from below after putting the car up on ramps. I thought I'd saved the link, but I found a discussion and some how-to photos over on the Nasioc forum.

I did it after replacing my halogen bulbs with LEDs. The resistor doesn't work to make the high-beam LED bulbs dimmer like it does for the stock halogens, so they run really bright all the time and I was worried about blinding oncoming drivers in lower light conditions. That, and I was worried about them getting hot.

I generally just run the car with the driving lights on now. The c-lights themselves essentially take over the drl function. I pulled the resistor off when I did it, but it would be easy enough to re-attach and plug back in if you changed your mind.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Having no lights on automatically may give you problems in an insurance claim also if they have your car listed as having them. I get a premium discount for having DRLs and wouldn't want to deal with a fraud issue with the insurance if they were disabled. Just something to think about.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having no lights on automatically may give you problems in an insurance claim also if they have your car listed as having them. I get a premium discount for having DRLs and wouldn't want to deal with a fraud issue with the insurance if they were disabled. Just something to think about.....
I have thought of this and will notify the agent. I don't think I get any discount for having DRLs.

·
Super Moderator
11,722 Posts
Over the years there have been numerous studies done on the safety aspect of them. Basically the results have been meh.

There is no reason to disable them. Doing so may cause problems having electrical bugs covered under warranty in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Im usually on the general consensus wagon with the fine group of folks here at CWRX, but considering it's literally a single plug under the bumper that you unplug, and he can still turn on the parking lights to be seen, I'm gonna say most are over reacting here.

It's not going to cause any problems as long as you weatherproof the plugs you disconnected, and if the only reason someone saw you was because of two dimly lit orange bulbs, you must've really been trying to hide your car.

You have two options m1911a1, You can remove the front bumper and unclip the plug from a large relay box located on the drivers side, or you can always swap out to a brighter LED bulb for your DRL to make it look better while they're activated.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Im usually on the general consensus wagon with the fine group of folks here at CWRX, but considering it's literally a single plug under the bumper that you unplug, and he can still turn on the parking lights to be seen, I'm gonna say most are over reacting here.

It's not going to cause any problems as long as you weatherproof the plugs you disconnected, and if the only reason someone saw you was because of two dimly lit orange bulbs, you must've really been trying to hide your car.

You have two options m1911a1, You can remove the front bumper and unclip the plug from a large relay box located on the drivers side, or you can always swap out to a brighter LED bulb for your DRL to make it look better while they're activated.
Which creates the "other" argument. Blinding others, lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,722 Posts
During the day there is too much light pollution and with the general low lux nature of drl even the brightest of them would be lost in the mix. Half the time I don't even notice them on.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I threw that out as a joke, as it was a point of contention when the MY15+ was first released. I went the LED route myself.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
I threw that out as a joke, as it was a point of contention when the MY15+ was first released. I went the LED route myself.
haha, I figured as much. Mostly just added my comment because I know newbs will read the board and be like " OMG LED DRLS KILL PEOPLE"

·
Super Moderator
11,722 Posts
I think horns need to sound like those screaming goats. During the day you have daytime goat screaming horn. It just screams all the time.

At night you have to turn it on, so it screams louder

·
Registered
120 Posts
It was a bit of a slippery slope thing for me after I installed the LEDs. I went with the Auxbeam F16, which have a little cooling fan that hums. It's not that loud, really, but I can certainly hear it when I'm driving around town with the windows down and the sunroof open the humming noise kind of annoys me. Since you can't just turn them off, there is no way to get rid of that noise with those particular LEDs as the DRLs with that cooling fan - unless you unplug the resistor. As a side bonus, I've got LED bulbs in the C-lights too, and now you can actually see those since they aren't overpowered by the drls with the driving lights on, which is how I roll most of the time. Like someone else mentioned, it is all very easily reversible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I disabled mine. They're ugly. I ordered the Subispeed LED bezels and will run them as true DRL's. Its 2017 and Subaru should've offered a better DRL option on the WRX. That half power halogen high beam crap is gross.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts